growing breadseed poppies from seed?

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

growing breadseed poppies from seed?

Mon May 13, 2024 4:36 pm

I've tried on and off over the years to grow breadseed poppies from seed, with no success. This year, seeds of one variety sprouted and then died, and seeds of another variety are still growing but very, very tiny. Is the potting mix too wet? Too dry?
I direct-sowed another batch in the garden today.
Have you grown them successfully from seed?

MissS
Reactions:

Re: growing breadseed poppies from seed?

Mon May 13, 2024 8:32 pm

I have good luck direct sowing them while temperatures are still cool. Usually the week before Mother's Day. I have them on lean soil that was not well amended and water sparingly.
~ Patti ~

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: growing breadseed poppies from seed?

Tue May 14, 2024 12:00 am

I direct seeded breadseed poppies in the middle of December. Sprinkled seed from a height of six feet and allowed the air currents to disperse. Raked the soil lightly after seeding. Seems like every last seed sprouted. Had to do some significant thinning. The poppies have all bloomed, mostly blooming in mid April and now I’m in the process of collecting some the seed from the now dried heads.

I don’t think I’ll change up much for the next effort. Maybe try direct seeding a week or two earlier in December in an effort to get an earlier bloom in April. Not seed so densely next time around.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “Flowers”