Perpetual Spinach (Beta vulgaris) - When to start cutting?

IndoorGrower
Reactions:

Perpetual Spinach (Beta vulgaris) - When to start cutting?

Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:51 pm

IMG_8268.jpg
This is my first time growing leafy greens ever! I have 10 of these plants growing under LED lights. They were sown on Jan 9. When do you guys think I should start cut and come again harvesting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Labradors
Reactions:

Re: Perpetual Spinach (Beta vulgaris) - When to start cutting?

Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:28 pm

I think you could start now, just take an outer leaf from each of the ten plants. If that's not enough, go around again. I think you could easily take 3 leaves from each plant if you can use them.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Beta vulgaris- isn't that beet greens?

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:31 pm

It's a variety of Swiss chard, though the flavor is slightly different, and you can harvest them very small like that, just one per plant, but I usually let them get larger. If you're raising them commercially, and have a market for it, "baby chard" would sell for more, but for just the few plants I would grow, I'd rather leave them until they are fairly large. As with most of those Asian greens, these are cut-and-come-again types, and keep growing from the center, giving the name perpetual.

I tried growing some chard a few times indoors, but it was much slower than lettuce, or any of the Asian greens I tried. It does grow through the summer, only slowing in intense heat, but recovering after.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Salad Greens/Lettuces and Micro Greens”