Texas Onions

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Texas Onions

Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:37 pm

Rockporter wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:25 pm Do you all fertilize your onions while they are growing?
Sort of, I might toss some worm castings into the beds once in a while or water them with fish emulsion. Whatever size the onions end up is fine by me. Most of them stay relatively small, about like the bag onions some of the stores sell.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:29 pm

IMG_2828.jpeg
IMG_2831.jpeg
Plant ~150 Texas Legend short day yellow onions yesterday and ~50 more today. Bought 3 bundles yesterday at Reifel’s for $2.25/bundle, each bundle had about 70 onions each. These should be ready around the first of May.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:41 pm

My bed will look like that...in about six months! 😁 Looking good!
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:52 pm

My neighbors up the street have a nice stand of onions.
Probably about 12 inches high.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 am

pondgardener wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:41 pm My bed will look like that...in about six months! 😁 Looking good!
Do you grow intermediate day, day neutral or long day onions?

There’s sort of a myth out there, I’ve read this repeatedly online and even here on TJ, that short day onions don’t keep well, but I still have a few Texas Legend onions from my end of April harvest. Seven months post harvest and still good isn’t what I would label a bad keeper.

I did an experiment with mine. Some of the onions I kept out in the not climate controlled garage in a cardboard box after curing and some I kept in a couple of cardboard boxes in the more or less room temperature climate controlled house in a seldom used cabinet. The garage ones made it to about the end of September or early in October. The house ones are still going.

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:09 am

karstopography wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 am
pondgardener wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:41 pm My bed will look like that...in about six months! 😁 Looking good!

There’s sort of a myth out there, I’ve read this repeatedly online and even here on TJ, that short day onions don’t keep well, but I still have a few Texas Legend onions from my end of April harvest. Seven months post harvest and still good isn’t what I would label a bad keeper.

I did an experiment with mine. Some of the onions I kept out in the not climate controlled garage in a cardboard box after curing and some I kept in a couple of cardboard boxes in the more or less room temperature climate controlled house in a seldom used cabinet. The garage ones made it to about the end of September or early in October. The house ones are still going.
The cool weather and late season triggers them to sprout.
If kept in the house they don't do it as bad and they have no idea what month it is.
Consider the fact they are biannual and have to sit in the hot summer until it cools off again for their second winter before bolting in the spring.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:45 am

karstopography wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:09 am

My area falls within the upper reaches of the intermediate zone. I grew some Walla-walla onions last year and after harvesting in late June, they lasted till late September when some started to sprout. I stored them on top of paper grocery bags in a darkened basement, which was probably around 68˚. I may try a different type, Texas Grano or Sweet Spanish Utah and store them in cardboard boxes and see if that makes a difference.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:42 am

https://txmg.org/hendersonmg/plant-libr ... as-legend/
https://dixondalefarms.com/product/texa ... on-plants/

Texas Legend onions are pretty new, introduced in 2019. I like the Legend onion over 1015y super sweet. Texas Legend onion evidently does well in some intermediate day zones.

https://gonursery.com/the-legend-of-the ... eet-onion/

Story of the Granex a.k.a. Vidalia onion origins.

Return to “Onions”