Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

MissS
Reactions:

Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:22 pm

I have been perusing the gardening sites and catalogs trying to decide what new plants I would like to try. I don't know if I will get them all or not, but I am intrigued by Salvia Rockin Blue Suede Shoes, Salvia Amethyst Lips and Roman Red Salvia. I think that I want to try to tone down all of the red that I have in my garden this year and see if I will still have the huge migration in the fall without it. I did try to use less red at my old house one season and I had very few birds compared to the hundreds that I had had before but I did not replace them with other hummingbird attracting plants. So we shall see.
~ Patti ~

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: Anyone trying any new hummingbird plants?

Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:39 pm

I'm growing Korean mint hyssop this year, agastache rugosa and regular hyssop, hyssopus officionalis.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:20 pm

Abutilon was a hit for me so I’m trying to fit more into the garden. I also grew Russelia equisetiformis aka coral fountain plant in a container with annual blue salvia; also did well. Their favorite, though, was Hamelia patens.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:49 pm

Nan I love how hyssop makes such a nice airy filler in the garden beds. Hyssop officionalis is a favorite of mine because the bees and the butterflies just love it. It was hard for me to replace when I moved so I had to start them from seed. They bloomed the first year but I bet that they shine this year since they will now be mature.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 pm

PlainJane you get to grow some really cool plants that just don't work too well for me up here. I am envious. I do grow some of those once in awhile. Last year was just too cool for my Russelia equisetiformis to perform well at all. It just sat there and sulked, other years it is a magnet. This year I will be growing Russelia sarmentosa again. I have had good results with it in the past. Last year I tried the Hamelia patens and I did not see the birds here use it at all. It is great everywhere else, go figure...
~ Patti ~

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:59 pm

I wonder if any of the numerous white salvias would attract hummingbirds??? It would be very cool to see hummingbirds on a white flower.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Up here the Hotlips salvia starts out mostly red, then red and white, then a lot of white in the heat of summer, changing again in the fall to more red. While mostly white the hummingbirds do use it but maybe because of habit?
I used to have a fuchsia alba that was pale pink that hummingbirds used.
White foxgloves are also used though they have spots and hints of colour to attract pollinators.

Last edited by Growing Coastal on Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:24 pm

SpookyShoe wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:59 pm I wonder if any of the numerous white salvias would attract hummingbirds??? It would be very cool to see hummingbirds on a white flower.
I have seen them use salvia coccinea Snow Nymph. Most of the other white varieties are Old World salvia (European) which the hummers do not use. Maybe take a look at Flowers by the Sea and take a look at what white cultivars they list and see if any are New World salvia. These are native plants in their range.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:41 pm

I went and looked for white salvia at FBS. There are a few that would work and one I have grown. I grew Salvia microphylla 'Heatwave Glimmer' that the birds did use. There is also salvia greggii 'Texas Wedding', Salvia leucantha 'White Mischief' and Salvia VIBE 'Ignition White'
~ Patti ~

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

White flowering salvia

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:00 pm

I swear I've been going to the nurseries every three days. So today I went to Maas Nursery and picked up 2 types of white salvias. One is (1) Cathedral series white and the others are (3) Summer Jewel salvias white. If the hummingbirds don't like these the bees probably will. Hope, hope.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm

MissS wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:00 pm PlainJane you get to grow some really cool plants that just don't work too well for me up here. I am envious. I do grow some of those once in awhile. Last year was just too cool for my Russelia equisetiformis to perform well at all. It just sat there and sulked, other years it is a magnet. This year I will be growing Russelia sarmentosa again. I have had good results with it in the past. Last year I tried the Hamelia patens and I did not see the birds here use it at all. It is great everywhere else, go figure...
So funny, my local hummingbird population loves both the Hamelia and the Abutilon.
I also have a large clump of Salvia Amistad which the big bumblebees love.
Should have hummers through here any day now.
- Robert A. Heinlein

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:49 pm

PlainJane wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:30 pm So funny, my local hummingbird population loves both the Hamelia and the Abutilon.
I also have a large clump of Salvia Amistad which the big bumblebees love.
Should have hummers through here any day now.
Yes you should have birds very soon. I get so excited every spring when I see my first hummer of the year. It's a BIG YIPPEE!

I grow Amistad every year and the birds and the bees here just love it. You do have one BIG advantage over me. You get to grow your plants all year while I have to grow all of mine as annuals. It gets expensive to garden for the birds when you live up north.
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:56 pm

Donna I am interested to know how your salvia farinacea Cathedral works our for you and the birds. I do know that the bees will like it. Your 'Summer Jewel' is 'Snow Nymph' and should get some action. I hope that you get a pic of it being used.
~ Patti ~

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Salvia Skyscraper Orange.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:09 pm

SpookyShoe wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm Salvia Skyscraper Orange.
I just got 3 today!
- Robert A. Heinlein

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:10 pm

SpookyShoe wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:17 pm Salvia Skyscraper Orange.
I grew it last year and ordered it for this year too. You are going to love it.
~ Patti ~

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:15 pm

I hope they send some orange ones up here. I'll have to watch for it.
The skyscrapers did well for me here and have wintered over well in cool storage.

Return to “Pollinators”