Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm

I made a batch of mushroom pasta, with my last half cup of hulled barley, which I put in the Instant Pot in some broth, and a tb of white miso, and pressure cooked it for 30 min, letting it release naturally. The mushrooms I cooked in the large sauté pan, and cut up everything in the food processor, starting with the onion, the garlic and herbs together (rosemary and sage), then the mushrooms, along with about 1/2 tb boletus powder. Added to some olive oil in that order, and cooked on medium, until most of the water had evaporated, then added about a half cup of white vermouth, and evaporated most of that.

After that I opened the IP, and drained the barley, then added some broth (and a little more water) to total 4 c, and added this to the IP, with the barley, and 14 oz of spiral pasta, and sort of pressed all the pasta under the liquid. Then set it to 4 minutes/Manual, locked the lid, then when the timer went off, I released the pressure, then set it on Sauté/High, and stirred it about 2 or 3 minutes, which thickened it, with the starches, then I turned it off, and removed the pot to the stove - just to stop the cooking. I finished it with a little grated Asiago.

ImageFinished pasta dish, before adding the cheese, made with some barley added to it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:37 pm

IMG_3745.jpeg
Garden peas with pasta and Parmesan. There’s fresh garlic in there too. Egg yolks for some richness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

JRinPA
Reactions:

unstuffed peppers

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:35 pm

Been a long time since stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage was made in this house. At some point we started doing the ingredients without the work of stuffing them.

So this is my try for unstuffed peppers. Using up some cans of pressure canned sweet peppers. I don't plan on doing that again, chop and freeze is better, pickled sweet and bwb is better. These were okay for mixing in tacos or soup, but that is about it.

4 pints of those pressure canned peppers
1 pint of pickled sweet peppers
1 qt straight tomato sauce
in crock pot, brought to heat

2 cups brown rice + 3-1/4 c water (slightly short on water) cooked in microwave and then added to crock
1+ lb venison fine grind, fried off in tallow in cast iron skillet, then added to crock
been on high for 3 hours since then.
I didn't spice it at all, yet. Will play that by ear.
17.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:23 pm

It's been the usual out of me all week no reason to do reruns.
But tonight is special maybe if I don't pass out from wine stress and just flat out tired.
It's been a hell of a week.
It's basically something that would probably tick off an Italian somewhere.
Bucatini with.
Sundried tomato and red pepper pesto and shrimp.
The pesto is the real thing made in Italy.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:52 am

Gotta ground beef vegetable soup thing going on.
Ingredients are.
Fresh carrots.
Fresh Yukon Gold potatoes.
Fresh onions.
Frozen English peas.
Canned yellow hominy.
Ground beef.
Huge amount of sweet paprika as always.
Cumin.
Black pepper.
Garlic powder.
Mexican oregano.
Herbs de provence.
Knorr beef bullion powder for the salt and added flavor.
Water.
Ground beef.
Kettle full to the top, no room for anything else.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:43 pm

Grilled or sous vide New York Strip Steaks. Oven roasted or mashed New potatoes. Sautéed Yellow squash.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:09 pm

Those red Lasoda potatoes and squash look amazing.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:25 pm

bower wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:09 pm Those red Lasoda potatoes and squash look amazing.
They were super tasty. Tonight, it was roasted Red Pontiac potatoes and more yellow squash. I have 4 yellow squash plants, two Pic-n-Pic and two Dixie and lately have been firing on all cylinders. We gave 5 squash to our son and daughter on Friday and had four for ourselves tonight. Amazingly delicious, fresh yellow squash, I like it better than zucchini, at least sautéed with butter.

I Sous Vide the Strip steaks at 122° F, and then seared them about a minute per side in a hot cast iron. Came out a perfect medium rare. I had put fresh rosemary and pressed garlic in with the steaks during the sous vide. That seasoning was delicious. The steaks were something I had bought on special and froze a month or two ago.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:53 pm

I made some bean soup, with some ham, and some of those mustard greens, from my hydroponics. A couple of days ago is when I started it, when I cut up about 6 lbs of ham I got a deal on some easter ham, and put 4 one lb packs and 4 half lb packs in foodsaver bags, to freeze, and I put the scraps and bones in a Dutch oven, with a cut up onion, and cooked it about 2½ hours, @275°, to cook the fat out, and brown it considerably. Then after removing almost all of the fat, I put all that stuff in the Instant Pot, deglazed the Dutch oven, and used all that liquid to cover the scraps, and pressure cooked it for 90 minutes. After releasing naturally, I strained the liquid, and let it cool - too late to use now, so I refrigerated, and waited to remove the fat, and when it gelled, there was little left on top.

Late last night, I set a lb of navy beans to soak, with some baking soda, rinsing it around noon, and soaking with some brine, the last 4 hrs or so, before cooking. I started with a large onion, stalk of celery, and a large carrot, all chopped fairly small, sautéed in the IP about 8 or 9 min, and when onion browned some, added about a tb of minced garlic, and about a half tb each dried sage and thyme, crushed in the mortar, 3 bay leaves, then the gelled ham stock (about 5 c) and 2 c water, about 1/2 c whole oats, 2 tsp black pepper, and the drained beans, and adjusted the salt (was surprised that the ham stock wasn't saltier), and set it to slow cook/fast, for about 2 hrs. Wasn't quite ready, when I finished what I was doing, so I set it to pressure cook on Manual/15 min, and let release naturally. Almost done now, and I added the 8 c of chopped greens, diced ham, and about 1/4 c red lentils, to thicken, and put it on the slow cook/fast again, for about 20 min, when it was done. I reheated some cornbread in the toaster oven, I had frozen it foil, so I didn't have to make more, yet.
ImageAbout 8 c chopped greens, spun dry, to add to the Navy bean soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe wasabina mustard greens, before stirring into the soup, and cooking a few minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAlmost finished ham and bean soup, after adding the greens, and 1/4 c or so of red lentils, to thicken it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished beans and greens soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:25 am

I had a few raisins left so I tossed them in the beef vegetable soup.
It's not uncommon but really strange to people that don't cook with raisins.
Say What!
Raisins in savory dishes?
Yes.
I also leave the tallow on top to seal off the food when it's in the refrigerator.
On top of that I'm precooking 2.280 pounds of jumbo shrimp I got on sale.
It's shelled and ready to put in whatever I want after it's thawed out.
I've also discovered the balsamic vinegar reduction I made goes really well with cooked shrimp.
Probably freeze in quarter pound portions.
IMG_20240407_111755528_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240407_111805658_HDR.jpg
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:05 pm

IMG_3858.jpeg
Grilled marinated inside skirt steak. Grilled mixed squash. Grilled garlic scapes

A small piece of scape with a bite sized piece of beef was a great bite.

Wife declared the yellow squash the clear winner on flavor, the zucchini second and good, the scalloped squash she didn’t like all that much. I would not go that far, but I agree with the order.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:15 pm

IMG_3872.jpeg
IMG_3873.jpeg
IMG_3874.jpeg
Cardoon gratin. Pretty good.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 pm

5 scrambled eggs with butter.
Worth

Vanman
Reactions:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:55 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:49 pm 5 scrambled eggs with butter.
Is there any other way?

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:23 pm

Well, recently I have been sautéing some diced Spanish style chorizo and the cooking them in the oil from chorizo. Add some fresh chives, which have popped up in the garden now, then fold in the chorizo and put in a tortilla with some cheese and a bit of hot sauce. I tried the first one by adding a a tablespoon of butter to the eggs as well and second time with just the oil from the chorizo. Both were quite good. 😊

crunch1224
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:38 pm

Spaghetti with meat balls. The spaghetti sauce I made myself last year from the garden and caned it. I forgot to mark this batch as spicy. It was a pleasant surprise lol.
~ I talk to my plants ~

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:49 pm

I've never canned spaghetti sauce. Pizza, chili, salsa, soup, roasted sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste. But never spaghetti sauce.

We were always content with del monte traditional cans. Except the shrinkage.

crunch1224
Reactions:

Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:30 pm

JRinPA wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:49 pm I've never canned spaghetti sauce. Pizza, chili, salsa, soup, roasted sauce, tomato sauce, tomato paste. But never spaghetti sauce.

We were always content with del monte traditional cans. Except the shrinkage.
I have canned all types of sauces, a lot of them came from the ball preserving book, some came from family recipes, some I made up myself by combining recipes.

I bought a tomato press and it opened up my creativity with sauces. I used to make a old fashioned sauce that wasn't hardly cooked down and contained seeds, and was a thinner sauce. The seeds give off a little bitterness when you bite into them and reminds me of my childhood hehe. Since I bought a tomato press it really did open up my mind about the different types of sauces you could make.

Now I am growing more paste tomato variety's to get more bang for my buck. It takes a huge amount of slicers to make sauce compared to paste or heart tomatoes. I also made sauces from Sungold, Sweet 100, Grape, cherry tomatoes. I have to say that out of all the different cherry tomatoes, the Sungold sauce was the most different. Some people liked it some didnt.
~ I talk to my plants ~

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:57 pm

IMG_3888.jpeg
Couple of sliced Monika cucumbers with fresh bouquet dill, cream cheese and smoked salmon.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:54 am

Cold can of ravioli.
Been sick for over a week.
Can't sleep but slowly getting better.
Worth

Return to “What's Cooking.”