Worms!

bower
Reactions:

Worms!

Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:45 am

Some wormy news items. 8-)

worms do actually feed your crops. rapid N transfer from worms to plants.
https://phys.org/news/2022-03-earthworm ... isers.html

cover crops triple your worms!
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-earthworm ... crops.html

I think our horse manure is the wormiest amendment I've got, although the garden compost is a close second.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Re: Worms!

Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:55 am

Bower wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:45 am Some wormy news items. 8-)

worms do actually feed your crops. rapid N transfer from worms to plants.
https://phys.org/news/2022-03-earthworm ... isers.html

cover crops triple your worms!
https://phys.org/news/2019-09-earthworm ... crops.html

I think our horse manure is the wormiest amendment I've got, although the garden compost is a close second.
Worms make better composting than a hot compost pile.
Hot composting burns up the nitrogen.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:16 am

Funny I was just reading the same thing last night, where they specified the cold compost to amend for wheat, because of the worms!
They stated that worm castings in compost also contain a microbiome that reduces fungus disease in the crops.
Who ever knew my laziness would pay off? :shock: :lol:
I mean, forget about turning it, I'm letting it lay... :mrgreen:
temperate marine climate

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:01 am

When I left all the trimmings on top of the soil of my hedges as a mulch I was amazed at the quantity of worm castings underneath and at the edges. I never fertilized and the hedges thrived.

Spike
Reactions:

Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:08 am

I ordered a bag of worm castings from Amazon one year. When the package came in I was trying really hard to hide it but the husband was all excited to see what I got. Reluctantly I had to show him a bag of worm poop. The look on my poor city slicker husband's face was one of shock and horror mixed. Now he asks me if he wants to know what I have purchased before he asks to see anything lol
There is freedom waiting for you, On the breezes of the sky, And you ask 'What if I fall?' Oh but my darling, What if you fly?

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:26 am

I also purchased worm casings from a big box store. They are all dried out which is common if they are not fresh. I am wondering what, if any, benefits besides expensive weak N this form introduces to the plants.

- Lisa

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:05 am

Aren’t castings supposed to add aeration, beneficial bacteria and microbes, plus humic acid? Supposed to aid in seedling growth.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

bjbebs
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:59 am

Dropped a big tree on the old raised bed a couple years ago. Just built another around the old bed with cheap 4" x 4" pine boards. Might get 10 years out of it before it begins to rot. Had a couple 55 deg. days a week ago and sprayed a gallon of alkyd on it, attached the hoops and filled it up yesterday.
The existing soil in the bed was still pretty much frozen. The open compost heap behind the bed provided the fill. This is made up of horse manure, leaves, some crop residue and spent container mixes. This pile is just 6 months old.
Now to the worm story. First week of March and yes it is still cold. Working off the bottom of the heap each and every shovelful of compost contained many worms. Even an open pile in freezing temps is still quite toasty. Worms will feed during our winters if their food source is warm enough. Feed the worms and they will feed your soils. These beds and containers are good to go for the growing season. No additional food needed.
20220302_160624.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:23 pm

I always love seeing all those worms in the garden, when I'm turning the soil some in the spring or fall...or when digging up the garlic in July. And when moving all those SIP tubs after covers are removed, when there is no freeze threat, there are always the large worms under them! I grab them, when I am fast enough, and move them to my compost, or raised beds.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:06 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:23 pm I always love seeing all those worms in the garden, when I'm turning the soil some in the spring or fall...or when digging up the garlic in July. And when moving all those SIP tubs after covers are removed, when there is no freeze threat, there are always the large worms under them! I grab them, when I am fast enough, and move them to my compost, or raised beds.
I thought that compost worms are a different sort, red wrigglers, from the garden soil variety. My compost heaps always had red ones which were different from the other ones.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:47 pm

https://ecosystemsontheedge.org/earthworm-invaders/

Interesting, apparently many of the earthworms in North America aren’t natives but European invaders.

https://www.trees.com/gardening-and-lan ... earthworms
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

bower
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:30 am

karstopography wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:47 pm https://ecosystemsontheedge.org/earthworm-invaders/

Interesting, apparently many of the earthworms in North America aren’t natives but European invaders.

https://www.trees.com/gardening-and-lan ... earthworms
I find it disturbing to describe the plants and animals that recolonized after extinctions as 'invaders' simply because they had their origin on another continent. Worms clearly play a role in 'young forests' as described in your first link. They may improve conditions for seeds of 'invasive' or non native species at the same time, but they aren't bringing those seeds, we are. And I don't need an 'earthworm invasion' as a reason not to cut our old growth forests. There are plenty other reasons.
Just wanted to comment because the term "alien species" has been turned into an alarm, due to the concept in conservation that ecosystems are pristine, self-contained entitites that should not be disturbed. Many many species that are non 'native' are and have been for hundreds or thousands of years contributing to species richness and ecology throughout the post-glacial parts of the world. It is fine to know their origin but makes little sense to brand them as 'alien' when they are integrated in the community and harmless or beneficial part of their new ecosystem.
My perspective is obviously shaped by where I live in the north, on an island which is still very species-poor after the thousands of years of recolonization. I don't feel any prejudice against 'alien' species just because they're from some other place, unless they really are invasive and making conditions unliveable for others. "Invasive" is a tag that is not exclusive to 'alien' IMO.
I also believe the concept of 'pristine untouched' ecosystems is obsolete in the context of climate change. Yes we do still need to set aside untouched mature forest and other seres that are reservoirs of species diversity. But as climate changes, species will find new places to live, and lose some of their old habitat in all likelihood. While I do think humans have a role in conservation and management, it requires a more global view now and an acceptance that colonization and change are ecological fundamentals.
Terms like 'alien species' can be tools of propaganda, and provoke great misunderstandings by distorted messaging, IMHO.
/wormrant :roll: ;)
temperate marine climate

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:50 am

Anyone ever collect them off'n the pavement after a rain and relocate them to their growing areas?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:09 pm

Yes, I am guilty of that...it surprises me that the birds don't have a feast here after a rare rain. I've also grabbed a few when I turn over a barrel or container.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

bjbebs
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:22 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:50 am Anyone ever collect them off'n the pavement after a rain and relocate them to their growing areas?

The Gotch
Yes, for as long as I can remember been picking sidewalk crawlers. Mainly for fish bait but the left overs go in the garden.
There was a mom and pop bait store in the area. The kids would gather worms at night to be sold in the shop. This went on for years until the store grew into what is now a regional everything outdoor store. This is still run by the same family. Only the Bass Pro store is left to compete.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:26 pm

Cornelius_Gotchberg wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:50 am Anyone ever collect them off'n the pavement after a rain and relocate them to their growing areas?

The Gotch
I used to when I lived some place that rained enough.
It rains hard here and I have worms but have never seen them come up.
Worth

MissS
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:42 pm

The Gotch
Yep. Every spring my driveway is covered with them after a rain. I scoop them up and relocate them to my garden beds so I won't run them over.
~ Patti ~

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:06 pm

@pondgardener, @bjbebs, @worth1, & @MissS; my humblest thanks for yet more pure, powerful, positive, promising, praiseworthy, and (from a soil health standpoint) profitable advice.

We're exclusively raised beds here and I'd always wondered if enough worms were making their way into them.

We have 120 feet/36.6 meters of sidewalk that are verily covered with them after a rain, so another resource will be tapped.

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 pm

I let leaves pile up at the end of my concrete driveway and worms live there next to the concrete and under the leaves.
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:46 pm

I think I need to pave something... :mrgreen:
temperate marine climate

Return to “Organic Gardening, Composting/Permaculture & Soil Maintenance”