What are your favourite spitters and why ?

Everything About Tomatoes
Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Re: What are your favourite spitters and why ?

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 pm

Blackbear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 am lol real funny.... actually in the " splitter " category I would include the tomato "Black bear "

as I am keeping it ..as it is prolific and long producing of large black purple fruit …. but it can split … :+D
I grew Black Bear, on your recommendation, last year. Nice tomato. It began splitting after the weather turned at season's end. Was fine before that. Am growing it again.

Blackbear
Reactions:

Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:41 am

Growing Coastal wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:51 pm
Blackbear wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:53 am lol real funny.... actually in the " splitter " category I would include the tomato "Black bear "

as I am keeping it ..as it is prolific and long producing of large black purple fruit …. but it can split … :+D
I grew Black Bear, on your recommendation, last year. Nice tomato. It began splitting after the weather turned at season's end. Was fine before that. Am growing it again.
yup ..I am growing it again and gave away a few more seedlings out just today …
it certainly is a nice prolific with taste just a pumping out the fruit ...etc... even after the splits begin in late season ….it is to good not to grow again ... :ugeek:
So many Tomatoes...……..so little Time !

Blackbear
Reactions:

Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:44 am

Paulf wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 am Some time in the early 1990s when hearts were my passion, everything with the name "heart" or "oxheart" got a try, Craig LeHollier sent some seeds from one called Yellow-Orange Heart to try. When it grew out the plant was medium sized with absolutely beautiful fruit colored perfectly to fit the variety name. The interior was solid, with few seeds and juicy at the same time. The smell was citrusy and very pleasant. The first bite hit the taste buds with a distinct flavor of a combination of kerosene and dog poop.

All you who have tried to call this thread a S-P-L-I-T-T-E-R thread, try the Orange-Yellow Heart to get the true meaning of S-P-I-T-T-E-R. Just the words Orange-Yellow Heart make my tongue hurt. Pittui!
LoL that's great !....I cant help but think for a wonderful plant like that ….maybe the distillate from the plant

had bug repellant properties as well …. :lol:

oh well appreciate your old favorite standbys more ...everyday ! :lol:

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:54 pm

All "early" tomatoes. I've always grown a couple of really early varieties which were better than grocery store tomatoes. When the first red ripe summer tomatoes appeared in my garden, I would let the early tomatoes rot on the vine. With age, I've gained patience. I didn't plant any early varieties this year.

Blackbear
Reactions:

Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:25 pm

LOL ….I guess some spitters could be a Blackbears treasure .

Especially when there is not enough heat degree days in a bad season to produce a nice Brandywine .

Return to “Tomato Talk”