time to make the donuts...

Tell us about yourself!
JRinPA
Reactions:

time to make the donuts...

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 pm

Hey all. I was on the outside of the hoopla last year, and with the worldwide hoopla since March, I hadn't gotten around to making an account here. Well, now that I got that 65 seconds worth of account generation behind me ...how y'all doing? Well, I hope. I've been reading some of the threads the last couple months and seeing lots of names I can no longer PM at the other site.

Hey shule, if you read this, your wonderberry seeds came up like 0/30 on the first try. 1/20 the second try. I couldn't PM you over there. Are those tiny seeds really slow to germinate?

Whwoz
Reactions:

Re: time to make the donuts...

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:11 pm

Welcome to the Junction from Down Under JR, you will enjoy what has been built here

eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Welcome to the Junction

bower
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:04 pm

Good to see you here, JR! :D
Looking forward to see how your garlic is doing this year.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:37 pm

Howdy.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:05 pm

It's great to see you here JR. Yes we have a few people here that don't have PM'ing privileges at TV anymore and it's okay because we have much more fun here. Glad that you can join us.
~ Patti ~

Nan6b
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:33 pm

Welcome, JR in PA from Nan in PA! Glad you made it!

PhilaGardener
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Welcome! Where are the doughnuts? :lol:
Gardening near Philadelphia (USA)

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:48 pm

I had to get up really early for the first time since...I guess January. But not for anything fun, and not much sleep. It just popped into my head. One of my favorites, up there with where's the beef? Then I'm out at the garden for 6 hours, trying to finish drip system, hilling potatoes, and picking about 100 ft of peas before it got hot. Well, it never got hot, which was nice. I came back to make pizza (pizza from scratch, dough twice risen and ready for me to build pizzas) and afterward I felt like I had better sign up on that other site soon. Now that I am mostly caught up in the garden and stuff is slowly starting to normalize. And that took a little over a minute.

Guess I should have done it in December. I still don't know what that blow up was about. We had a pretty rough November, family-wise. Big holes in life now. Internet forums didn't seem real important. But I miss those pictures of backyard mooses, you know?

bower
Reactions:

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:25 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles JR. :(
Rest assured, there will be moose pics here again. I haven't seen any since the big snow but they've left a few presents. :lol:
What happened at the V, in late fall M was annoyed by some small misbehavior as a 'last straw' and announced he would permanently close the site at New Years. All the content, which he owns, would be gone from the internet, and our community would have no place to meet any more. Rajun heroically scrambled this site together in short order, as a lifeboat for the community to regroup. But then M discovered that the dwarf project still needed a home, and decided to keep his site open after all. This is great for keeping the V content and history generally on the internet, but it is sad that since then he has randomly banned people associated with our site, in spite of our effort to maintain a friendly and respectful stance to our 'parent site'. He even made "junction" a swear word to prevent any mention of it at the V. :? The closure announcement was removed, so anyone who wasn't around to see what happened is in the dark I guess.
Anyway while I do love the V still standing and to visit and see the peeps who stayed there, I feel as we were clearly given notice, that its days are numbered and may end abruptly any time. :| So the hope here is to keep this site more community-driven and self-sustaining, to avoid the perils of losing your ship on the stormy internet waters! ;) :roll:
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:44 am

Glad you're here, JR! Boy, you sure took me back about 25 years with that phrase to when I co-owned a t-shirt shop. When it was my turn to go in real early to print up a batch of shirts so that the shop cooled off by opening time, it was "time to make the donuts." Loved that commercial. :lol:

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:04 am

It's nice to see someone from the other side cross over :) . Welcome!
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:46 am

Welcome JRinPA from BR in PA.

You will like it here. Less drama.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 am

JRinPA wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 pm Hey shule, if you read this, your wonderberry seeds came up like 0/30 on the first try. 1/20 the second try. I couldn't PM you over there. Are those tiny seeds really slow to germinate?
[mention]JRinPA[/mention]

Huh. I didn't see this until now. You can notify me when you want to bring me into a conversation by doing @Shule (and let it automatically put the mention tags in). I'll ping you above so you know what I mean.

Welcome! I'm glad you joined here.

Yeah, I can't use TV anymore; I didn't get banned, nor purposefully leave, but I automatically lost my member status when I changed my email address (I forgot that would happen, and it didn't warn me). It could have happened any time, but conveniently, it happened at a time when TomatoJunction had just opened, and I already knew about TJ.

We already talked about wonderberries in the other thread. I need to see if you've replied again, though. What year were those seeds marked for? 1 out of 50 seeds is pretty bad germination! Did you start them indoors, outdoors in an unheated greenhouse, direct-seeded, or what? What temperatures? How much light? They seem to germinate best at the same temperatures that purslane does (but some seeds will sprout just fine in colder weather, and they do survive freezes somewhat better than tomatoes).

I've never actually started wonderberries indoors. I've always done it in my unheated greenhouse in March or early April, and also by scattering fruits where I want the plants the next year. There's pretty much full sun in the greenhouse. However, I've had wonderberries sprout under a tarp; so, I guess they don't need sun to sprout.

Freezing the seeds before planting (cold stratification) might help, but I'm not sure.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:59 am

I'll check the other thread. So far I am not getting any email notifications here.

Nan6b
Reactions:

Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 pm

I get no email notifications when people ping me. (I think I opted out)

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:26 pm

I see now how to manually subscribe to a topic. Now I should get an email for this thread being bumped. Can anyone tell me how to configure to automatically receive email notifications for any thread that I post in?

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:42 am

Nan6b wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:04 pm I get no email notifications when people ping me. (I think I opted out)
I don't want extra e-mails so I have that turned off but if someone quotes me or tags me, I have a number appear next to the bell in the top line beside the word "notifications" .

That works well for me.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:13 am

Hi, [mention]JRinPA[/mention]. I'm new (to both forums) and am in central PA. Anyway, you asked how to get email notices.

On my desktop computer, near the upper right section of the screen, is our screenname. It might be in a different location on a phone or other device. Click it then select "User Control Panel" from the drop down menu.

Select the "Board Preferences" tab.

On the list on the left, select "Edit notification options".

You'll see a list of different things and the option to select notification or email.

I forgot to look but there's probably a "submit" or similar button to update your new selections.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:40 pm

I'm looking for a way to "automatically subscribe to any topic you post in". It is already set to receive emails on subscribed topics. The problem is the topics I post in are not being automatically subscribed. I can't seem to find the setting for that. I've been through this with a few forums the last couple years. If it doesn't auto subscribe me, I forget about it. 20+ years of having auto email generation once I post in a thread is hard to re-learn.
(2)_-_User_Control_Panel_-_Edit_notification_options_-_2020-06-22_18.21.16.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Introductions”