My seedlings got too big for indoors

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

My seedlings got too big for indoors

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:00 pm

I started my seedlings for the spring crop about 2 weeks too early and they outgrew my indoor space that I had allotted for them. They grew really fast and got too tall and too crowded for the shelving I had them on. Some of the lower branches were falling off because they weren't getting enough light from above.
0121201354.jpg
So I had to put them outside today. As long as the outside temperature is above 45° they're going to stay out there. Next year if I start seedlings again I have to be more patient and start them later.

I have at least a month before they can go into the ground. Oh well.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SpookyShoe on Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

MissS
Reactions:

Re: My seedlings got too big for indoors

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:23 pm

That's one way to ensure that they get the cold treatment. Just a little late is all...

Hopefully the cold temps will slow their growth and they will bulk up some for you.
~ Patti ~

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:29 pm

Good choice of a spot, on brick like that. They won't get quite as cold at night.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Oh wow, been there and done that. Oops! Any chance you can pot them up in something where you can bury them up to their necks?

PlainJane
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:26 pm

I understand the urge to start seeds ASAP, but ultimately they’ll be fine. You can take off the lower leaves and bury the plants as deep as you need.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Labradors
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:31 pm

I'm sure they will be fine. If you could pot them up into OJ- sized waxed containers or larger pots, that would be perfect for a month. Otherwise they are just going to be a bit cramped. You could also top up the containers with more potting mix, and water them from the bottom. You could also remove some of the lower leaves so that they will be all set for when you do plant them (nice and low in the ground).

SpookyShoe
Reactions:

Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:56 pm

I feel a lot better now with all the encouraging remarks. I'll give them a while outside in cooler temperatures to see if that slows the growth any. If they get too tall and lanky I'll try potting them up in deeper containers.
Donna, zone 9, El Lago, Texas

kath
Reactions:

Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 am

I've done that way too many times and aside from making a whole lot more work for yourself with moving them in and out to avoid the cold at night and potting them up again and again, they'll do fine once they're in the ground. I never bothered removing flowers or even fruits, but some people do. If they're in soilless mix, be sure to feed them- I'd rather keep them healthy & repot than stunt them.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:47 pm

This happened to me last year, even though I planted my later seeds (tomato, eggplants, tomato) on 4-1, like I always do. This is only 30 days before the tomatoes go out (I learned early on that 6-8 weeks wasn't right!). But April in this area had record heat, and my plants were ready to go out on 4-24, larger than normal on 5-1! The temp in my seedling room was 8-10° above average, and that's all it took. I only hardened them off 2 days, then planted them earlier than ever (except those under WOWs).
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

SQWIB
Reactions:

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:26 pm

Pull some clones and root them in water indoors. You wont loose any time if your outdoor plants die because the clones are ...well... clones!

EdieJ
Reactions:

Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:59 am

I second the clones. I've done that before and may have to do it again this year due to some germination tests that I didn't expect to work :-0. The clones I did a few years ago grew just fine and we got lots of 'maters off of them. A broken stem in the middle of the season can be saved that way too.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

Paquebot
Reactions:

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:15 pm

If plants are too big for indoors then that is not where they belong. My plants have not see indoor lighting since 2003. Some developed crud that year and it's been strictly outside in a cold frame ever since. Not just for a few varieties but up to 100 or more. Shorter plants to set out but as strong as trees. If you have a place to plant more than a dozen, there's a place for a cold frame. Just need an old window and boards or bales to make a wall to hold the heat. Cold will be a minor worry, cooking them instead will.

Martin

Return to “Seed Starting”