Best Peas for Fall/Winter Peas?

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Best Peas for Fall/Winter Peas?

Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:17 pm

The pea list has been updated in the MMMM 2022 non-tomatoes/peppers thread.

Karstopography, if you'd like any, send me a PM including a mailing address.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:05 pm

IMG_3939.jpeg
Final pea harvest. I’m slowly figuring out how and when to do peas. Modest results this season, but so far I’ve relegated the peas to the low rent district of the garden. I’m upgrading that area every year.

I like Sabre shelling pea the best so far. Most of these are Wando. Lillian’s caseload were my least favorite.

I’m going to make a better effort next time around. Bigger, taller types with much upgraded supports and in better soil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:41 pm

I wish I could grow fall/winter peas here but it's a no-go. I'd have to plant them in mid August to have peas before the first killing frost. The soil's so hot they won't germinate. I have gotten them to pop up in the heat by soaking the shallow planting trench with water, sowing seed and then covering up the row with cardboard or soaked newspaper sections. Gotta remove the cover as soon as the first few seeds pop up or you'll have a leggy mess that will never recover. However once up they just can''t deal with the heat which lasts late into September.

One other thing I've noticed is that if I plant something in the spring and again in the fall (Octoberish), the fall-planted ones take a lot longer to mature which I ascribe to the shortening day lengths.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 pm

My best timing for sowing I have so far determined is seeding around the winter solstice into early January. I haven’t had much success going in with seeding in November or early December. I don’t know how far into the winter I can continue to sow and have a successful crops. I might try to seed some in late January or early February next season.

The November into early December seeded ones seem to sit there and not do much. I might try again this fall going in even earlier, maybe late October.

I plan on playing around with various cultivars and timing and see what sticks

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:18 pm

My spring sowing usually occurs sometime between late February and the first week of March, depending on how wet the soil is and what the weather looks like. It varies year to year. By mid May I'm usually picking the last ones and pulling out the vines.

karstopography
Reactions:

Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:26 pm

https://brazoria.agrilife.org/files/201 ... _13_18.pdf

Our local planting calendar has the best times as 10/01-12/15 and then 01/15-03/01. I have only had some success with planting peas in between those windows.

Next fall the plan it to grow far less onions, less of some of the brassicas and less other cool season veggies and devote more and better space to peas.

Return to “Garden Peas”