Yak54
Reactions:

Re: Separating Seedlings

Sat May 04, 2024 1:40 pm

IMG_0415 Large.jpeg
Here they are today.../Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0415 Large.jpeg
/Users/Dan/Downloads/IMG_0416 Large.jpeg
IMG_0416 Large.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan

bower
Reactions:

Sat May 04, 2024 3:40 pm

I have seen the mass production methods at the farm - rough handling and seedlings can take it. Sure you might get some wilting for a day or two, but no worries for that.
OTOH the OP wanted to know how to do it without having to see em wilt, and that's where we small timers excel. ;)
@GoDawgs I greatly admire that you modified the fork to make it PERFECT for the job. :)
My Mom has a two prong fork she uses to lift bulbs - I mean a big one! Seems odd to me but definitely well tailored to task. Great weeder for deep stuff too.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun May 05, 2024 7:37 am

Thanks for the kudos, @bower but I can't take credit for that. I read about it somewhere and making one was a cheap experiment. LOL!

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun May 05, 2024 11:22 am

"Sometimes, a fork is just a fork."

Hey, what the, where did that come from? These fingers have a mind of their own.

I read about plastic fork idea a month back, fork instead of shovel, sounded like good idea. Totally forgot it when potting up last week. My brother and I pre-trenched a bunch, about 100 I guess...into milk jugs split down the back and butterflied out. The starts were in five cups, 20+ to a cup, bonnie planting cups, with top diameter about like a 16 oz cup. 3-1/2"? They were packed in there and roots all tied at the bottom. Took straight compost and filled the milk bottle trays, laid them down (2-3 true leaves on each) and pressed them in, with just the leaves above ground. Two or four to the tray, depending. I always try to leave as much soil as possilbe on the root ball. This was 4-5 days back, they all looked fine yesterday. They went from inside under light to pressed into trays and into hot greenhouse, same day, watered immediately and the next day.

No drainage holes were made.

Some were done dry, the later were done wet, dry may have been better.

slugworth
Reactions:

Wed May 08, 2024 3:50 pm

I found 2 Genuwine in a 3 inch pot at Lowes today and did the cleavage lift and separate with my fingers and put the twins in a bigger container.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

peebee
Reactions:

Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 pm

Am I the only one who does this under water(the plants not me lol)? I tip the pot over my other hand, to catch the soil onto a bucket or table or whatever. Try to get rid of as much soil as possible. Then I dump the plants into a container of water & gently swish them around. The roots will quickly be visible & I just hold 1 seedling or plant in each hand, still under water, & gently pull. It helps to massage all roots in water to remove dirt. Sometimes I'll have another container of water to do a final rinse. This method never fails me & I've never lost a plant due to ripped roots.
They do just fine replanted soon after, and I may use the soil I saved from the original pot if it looks like good quality, plus some extra of course. And water the plants with the water I used. Any extra dirt in bucket goes right in too.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

MissS
Reactions:

Thu May 09, 2024 2:48 pm

peebee wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 pm Am I the only one who does this under water(the plants not me lol)? I tip the pot over my other hand, to catch the soil onto a bucket or table or whatever. Try to get rid of as much soil as possible. Then I dump the plants into a container of water & gently swish them around. The roots will quickly be visible & I just hold 1 seedling or plant in each hand, still under water, & gently pull. It helps to massage all roots in water to remove dirt. Sometimes I'll have another container of water to do a final rinse. This method never fails me & I've never lost a plant due to ripped roots.
They do just fine replanted soon after, and I may use the soil I saved from the original pot if it looks like good quality, plus some extra of course. And water the plants with the water I used. Any extra dirt in bucket goes right in too.
I also rinse the soil off underwater to separate the roots. So no, you are not alone there.
~ Patti ~

slugworth
Reactions:

Thu May 09, 2024 5:53 pm

I planted a mummified cucumber today.
That will be fun when those seeds pop.
You get 100 plants in an area the size of your hand.
"A chiseled face,Just like Easter Island" :lol:

MrBig46
Reactions:

Fri May 10, 2024 4:47 am

When small plants are transplanted, you have to take into account that you will have to separate their roots later. It is not a problem to put a plastic partition between the plants and the future problem is solved. When transplanting for the first time, he uses a partition, which allows me to grow four seedlings in one 200 ml pot. I am adding pictures for clarity.
Vladimír
Imageupload image online

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri May 10, 2024 7:32 am

peebee wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:46 pm Am I the only one who does this under water(the plants not me lol)? I tip the pot over my other hand, to catch the soil onto a bucket or table or whatever. Try to get rid of as much soil as possible. Then I dump the plants into a container of water & gently swish them around. The roots will quickly be visible & I just hold 1 seedling or plant in each hand, still under water, & gently pull. It helps to massage all roots in water to remove dirt. Sometimes I'll have another container of water to do a final rinse. This method never fails me & I've never lost a plant due to ripped roots.
This is how I separate scallion seedlings. Works like a charm! :)

Return to “Tomato Talk”