Pancakes

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Pancakes

Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:30 am

I haven't made pancakes for a long time, but I'd make them for a friend, when he would visit occasionally, and we would have at least 2 types - buckwheat and rye - 2 recipes we found when we were roommates, in school, and we also had a co-op, that had a number of flours, that we experimented with. The buckwheat was a yeast pancake, the best we found of those, and the rye recipe made a lot...but we always finished them off! Sometimes we'd make less, but more types for that breakfast. A recipe I almost forgot about in my blue book are carob cakes - another yeast cake, with WW flour and some wheat germ, along with the quarter cup of toasted carob. I haven't made that since the 90s, probably, but we made a variation with Dutch cocoa, that was even better.

We would always have a pyrex cup of melted butter, with a brush in it, and 4 toppings - blackstrap, grade B maple syrup, tupelo honey, and sorghum syrup. Now you know why I don't make these much anymore!

Here are the Rye Pancakes

2 c whole rye flour
1 1/2 c unbleached flour
1/2 c wheat germ
2 tsp soda
1 tsp salt
2 tb sugar
5 large eggs
1 qt buttermilk
1/4 c melted butter

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then make a well, and start by whisking the eggs until mixed well, then add the BM, and mix well, then whisk the wet and dry ingredients together, and finish by whisking the butter in. Cook on a NS, or very well seasoned griddle pan - most bubbles will open completely, when it's brown enough on the bottom to flip. Serve with desired toppings.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:13 pm

worth1 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:36 am Leave out the baking powder and you have pasta. :lol:
Good to know. :)

There's no baking powder, though. Only baking soda. I prefer baking soda since it feels healthier to my system a lot of the time, it's aluminum-free, and it lasts pretty much forever. So, I wanted a recipe where if there was an apocalypse and all the baking powder went flat, I could still hopefully have decent pancakes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Shule
Reactions:

Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:18 pm

karstopography wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:38 am My kids liked zoo and aquarium pancakes. Elephants, camels, sharks, starfish, whatever shape I could conjure up. We ate a lot of pancakes. Thin batter with a bit more oil in the pan to crisp up the edges. Only real maple syrup was allowed and we preferred the grade B dark amber. I cannot stomach fake maple syrup.
How did you make them into shapes?

I collect cookie cutters. So, I've been tempted to use them on sandwiches for a while; I've never actually done it, though. Do you use metal cookie cutters for molds for pancake shapes?
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 am

Shule wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:18 pm
karstopography wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:38 am My kids liked zoo and aquarium pancakes. Elephants, camels, sharks, starfish, whatever shape I could conjure up. We ate a lot of pancakes. Thin batter with a bit more oil in the pan to crisp up the edges. Only real maple syrup was allowed and we preferred the grade B dark amber. I cannot stomach fake maple syrup.
How did you make them into shapes?

I collect cookie cutters. So, I've been tempted to use them on sandwiches for a while; I've never actually done it, though. Do you use metal cookie cutters for molds for pancake shapes?
No cookie cutters, the animals were made by pouring the thinner than average pancake batter into a specific placement and sometimes manipulating the skillet. My children always got the animal right so the pancakes must have been true enough to shape.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Return to “What's Cooking.”