OOPS! container mix is very wet!

karstopography
Reactions:

Re: OOPS! container mix is very wet!

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:57 pm

https://texaset.tamu.edu/DataSummary/Daily/322

Corpus Christi got 227 or 274 chill hours for 2022-2023, depending on the method. We got about 300 here.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:43 pm

talbottnurseryandpoultry.com has a good collection of low chill varieties.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:07 am

Talbott's is just the first nursery that came up in my search.

There are likely several other southern nurseries. I haven't looked for blueberries for about a decade. I now remember that O'Neal is regarded as having top flavor for a rabbit eye. But, chill hours are about 400. So, you're out of luck, unless you have a strong back and a large fridge. Yes, I once thought about such things, being a blueberry nut. And, the biggest problem with fruiting bushes and trees in the deep south is the chill hour requirements. Many places that usually sell a wide range of plants, and don't specialize in such fruits, only tell about the hardiness of the plants.

I've heard of some wealthy people who only buy a blueberry bush , or two, for the bright colors of fall. They don't want any fruit (gasp), that would attract bees and the like.

And, if purchasing sight seen, most people make the mistake of selecting the largest plant they see. If the planting pot size is the same, I select the smallest blueberry bush that must have one good healthy stem. With the large plants, there can be an overbalance of bush to roots ratio, usually due to a lot of fertilizer used in growing the plant. To establish transplants with little loss, the most roots to bush ratio is preferred.

Return to “Containers, Earthboxes and Raised Beds”