Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:48 pm

worth1 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:58 pm Coincidentally I'm having Vermicelli with my wild and crazy olive chick pea salad I made.
The stuff is very versatile and yes I'm eating it warm with the vermicelli.
No meat at all for tonight or at all today.
20211229_194916.jpg
Olives and chick peas, two of very few foods that I don't like. Do you ever add coconut? :roll:

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:45 pm

054D9B3F-01C6-4110-80C5-861528A631B2.jpeg
83EB590F-91C7-45BE-96BE-3A322287058D.jpeg
681417F4-146C-4DF1-9DF7-00E0B643D07F.jpeg
8A62AAF9-0C07-45EC-8B97-ADC81248A953.jpeg
DBC3F201-3925-491D-B4A9-D69F5BEA4348.jpeg
Once again eating veggies from out of the winter garden, this time pak choi cooked with shallots, garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil. Tri-tip steak on the BGE seemed to be a perfect protein to put with the pak choi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:47 pm

I think I'm gonna fry up some shrimp and fish.
Anything but a tamale. :lol:
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:49 am

Well that didn't work out.
Knowing I would hit the wall if I ate I didn't cook anything.
All I had to eat all day was test salsa, test masa, test filling and a test tamale.
Never was full and never was hungry due to taste testing all day.
I guess this is how professional cooks and chefs make it for hours on end.
Many never actually sit down and eat a full meal while at work.
I must have put in 16 hours on my feet yesterday with an occasional break.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:03 pm

I had the fish, fries and shrimp tonight for supper.
Still some pre cooked taters in the refrigerator for tomorrow.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:27 pm

We made black-eyed peas, stonehead cabbage and cornbread. The peas and the cabbage both had onion and bacon as part of the recipe. Simple American food. Black-eyed peas and cabbage for good luck in the new year. Cornbread just because we like it.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:04 am

This afternoon I made another one of those tacos with the shrimp in chipotle sauce, just as a snack, while I started getting the other ingredients together. I put together a fairly easy Indian dish (I already had the masala made, which is what would have taken longer), using 12 oz of some mizuna I just harvested yesterday. The original recipe called for half mustard greens and half spinach, but this is a mild mustard green. It is a Hyderabad version, which I used a cup of red chori beans for, and 1/3 c sorghum berries - I used these since they pressure cook in about the same time. While they cooked in the IP, and the pressure released naturally, I cooked the spices in some ghee, along with some tomato paste, and chopped up all that mizuna. This, and the spiced ghee, were stirred into the beans, along with the masala, and simmered about 10 minutes.
ImageRed chori beans, with sorghum berries and mustard greens. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:09 pm

I had some leftover tamale filling that was ice cold so I decided why not.
I hand mixed up some masa and made a giant tamale.
The masa has a little baking powder and some chicken bullion in it.
The oil is just vegetable oil instead of lard.
It's 8 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter.
The ends are tucked in as well.
Patted out the masa by hand on cling wrap and that's what it's being steamed in.
The seam is on top.
It will either work or it won't.
Nothing to lose.
20220102_114736.jpg
20220102_120113.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:41 pm

I also read somewhere that they made little balls of masa with chilies in them.
Here's my rendition of them.
Had a little masa leftover so I chopped up a good amount of habaneros and mixed it in the masa.
I also added some white sugar and annatto to the mix.
Sort of a dessert tamale.
20220102_122349.jpg
20220102_123505.jpg
20220102_123601.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:45 pm

Yum 😋
But are they ever hot. :shock: :lol:
So very tasty, spicy hot, flavorful and slightly sweet too.
And very easy to make.
Steaming time is one hour.

I can see shrimp chopped up and put in them.
20220102_133443.jpg
20220102_133547.jpg
20220102_133734.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:15 am

The giant tamale came out fine.
Going to eat it later.
Had some beef stroganoff like stuff I pulled from the freezer.
Steamed pablano on top.
20220102_180642.jpg
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:50 pm

I was in the mood for shrimp tonight so I made Confetti Shrimp over tomato basil linguini. I got this recipe out of a magazine a few years ago. It was a Christmas Eve meal because of the red and green peppers as well as the colored linguini. It is really good and we eat it anytime.

I also cooked the remaining stored salsify from the refrigerator. I peel and slice it into strips and then precook in boiling water. Then it gets dipped into raw egg and rolled in bread crumbs. It is baked in the oven in a very small amount of olive oil. We really like this unusual vegetable and I will definitely grow it again next year. It is a carefree vegetable. Just plant the seeds and wait until the end of summer to dig it up. I have never had any insects or other pests bother it and it does not take much room either. It grows like carrots but has a 110 DTM. Stores well in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator too.

ImageConfetti Shrimp & Salsify by Brownrexx, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 pm

I made a soup in the Instant Pot today - a Bacon, lentil, barley, mushroom, and butternut soup. I used the bacon only because it was the oldest meat in the freezer, and the only mushrooms were the dried boletus and some frozen duxelles. And a new ingredient this winter from hydro - cutting celery, or leaf celery.
ImageCutting celery, from hydroponics, 1-8. About 18 inches long. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The darkness of the soup is from the fond of the bacon browning, plus the soaking water from the boletus, which is very dark. The bacon was labeled "ends", and was not very fatty at all. I added some olive oil, to cook the onions and celery stems, then added about 1 tb minced garlic, plus a generous tb of gochugang, to cook for a minute, Then I added the chopped boletus, and the liquid, plus about 1/3 c duxelles. Then I rinsed a half cup each of pearl barley and Puy lentils, and added those, plus some chicken broth, put the lid on the IP, and set it for 15 min, then let it release naturally. Then I removed the lid, tasted for seasonings (nothing at all added), and added the 3 c of diced butternut, plus about 1/4 c masoor dal, to thicken it some. I set it for 3 minutes, then let it release 10 minutes, then released the pressure. Turned out great!
ImageMushroom, lentil, barley, bacon, and butternut soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:28 pm

today, i made a triple recipe of martys beans, and my wife made amigos chili
accompanied by a slaw salad.

i hadn't made martys beans in awhile. the plan was to take some to church for pot luck after the service, but
the three of us kept putting more in our bowls, so we will be bringing the amigos chili to church instead.
marty was my brother in laws step dad, a really nice guy. he died a few years ago at the age of 92. he would always
bring a pot of beans to family get togethers, and take home an empty pot. i decided i better get his recipe before he died.
i don't remember if i posted it or not so here it is.

one three lb jar cooked great northern beans. you can substitute other beans if you like
1/2 onion
6 slices cooked bacon crumbled up
1 mixing size spoon brown sugar
1 1/2 mixing size spoons molasses
1 1/2 mixing size spoons syrup. i use pure maple syrup, not the fake stuff.
1 mixing size spoon barbecue sauce
1 1/2 mixing size spoons bourbon (optional) tastes good either way
apple cider enough to cover the beans

drain the beans
mix the sugar, and liquid ingredients together before adding to the beans
add bacon, and onions
salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste. about a teaspoon of each.
cover the beans with apple cider and cook on the stove top for 2 to 3 hours.
add more cider if need be. stir now and then to keep the beans from sticking especially during the latter stage.

you can vary the recipe according to how you like your beans
good eating

keith
Last edited by rxkeith on Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:01 pm

pepperhead212 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:09 pm I made a soup in the Instant Pot today - a Bacon, lentil, barley, mushroom, and butternut soup. I used the bacon only because it was the oldest meat in the freezer, and the only mushrooms were the dried boletus and some frozen duxelles. And a new ingredient this winter from hydro - cutting celery, or leaf celery.
ImageCutting celery, from hydroponics, 1-8. About 18 inches long. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The darkness of the soup is from the fond of the bacon browning, plus the soaking water from the boletus, which is very dark. The bacon was labeled "ends", and was not very fatty at all. I added some olive oil, to cook the onions and celery stems, then added about 1 tb minced garlic, plus a generous tb of gochugang, to cook for a minute, Then I added the chopped boletus, and the liquid, plus about 1/3 c duxelles. Then I rinsed a half cup each of pearl barley and Puy lentils, and added those, plus some chicken broth, put the lid on the IP, and set it for 15 min, then let it release naturally. Then I removed the lid, tasted for seasonings (nothing at all added), and added the 3 c of diced butternut, plus about 1/4 c masoor dal, to thicken it some. I set it for 3 minutes, then let it release 10 minutes, then released the pressure. Turned out great!
ImageMushroom, lentil, barley, bacon, and butternut soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Some of that (Asian?) cutting celery can be quite powerful.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 pm

rxkeith wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:28 pm today, i made a triple recipe of martys beans, and my wife made amigos chili

i hadn't made martys beans in awhile. the plan was to take some to church for pot luck after the service, but
the three of us kept putting more in our bowls, so we will be bringing the amigos chili to church instead.
marty was my brother in laws step dad, a really nice guy. he died a few years ago at the age of 92. he would always
bring a pot of beans to family get togethers, and take home an empty pot. i decided i better get his recipe before he died.
i don't remember if i posted it or not so here it is.

one three lb jar cooked great northern beans. you can substitute other beans if you like
1/2 onion
6 slices cooked bacon
1 1/2 mixing size spoons molasses
1 1/2 mixing size spoons syrup. i use pure maple syrup, not the fake stuff.
1 mixing size spoon barbecue sauce
1 1/2 mixing size spoons bourbon (optional) tastes good either way
apple cider enough to cover the beans

drain the beans
mix the sugar, and liquid ingredients together before adding to the beans
add bacon, and onions
salt, and fresh ground pepper to taste. about a teaspoon of each.
cover the beans with apple cider and cook on the stove top for 2 to 3 hours.
add more cider if need be. stir now and then to keep the beans from sticking especially during the latter stage.

you can vary the recipe according to how you like your beans
good eating

keith
Beans, onion, bacon, brown sugar, molasses, and maple syrup, those are the basics, here. No bbq sauce or tomatoes in "Boston" baked beans. And, no stove top, in the oven in real beans pots for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:50 am

That sounds good @rxkeith I actually love "baked beans" made on the stovetop with my home grown dry beans. I use several different recipes but they all have bacon.

To me they taste pretty much the same as the oven baked kind, just a bit wetter. I just can't bring myself to run the oven for 3 or more hours just for a pot of beans although I know that true Boston Baked Beans aficionados wouldn't do it any other way!

This summer I tasted Calico Beans at a picnic and they were fabulous. I made them myself in a cast iron pot over a campfire and it was fun. This recipe contains ground beef, 3 kinds of pre cooked dry beans, and some of my frozen home grown string beans. It made a complete meal with a side of fruit.

I cook my home grown dry beans in my Instant Pot and keep them frozen in pint jars that are the same size as a can of beans. I thaw them before using.

• 1/2 – 3/4 lb. lean ground beef
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 can (21 ounces) pork and beans
• 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 can (16 ounces) butter beans, rinsed and drained
• Frozen green beans to taste
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 1/2 cup ketchup
• 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
• 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
• 1 tsp. prepared mustard
• 1 tsp. salt
Directions
Preheat oven to 325°.
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish.
Bake, uncovered, until the beans are as thick as desired, 45-60 minutes.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:24 am

Two 5-quart bean pots in the oven for 2 1/2 to three hours doesn't bother me. I'd rather do that than constantly stir 10 (to 16) quarts of beans on the stove top.

If I can burn pea soup, I likely can be distracted from the stove top and burn beans, too. My guess is once burned, beans will be stuck on the bottom of the pot, like split peas, no stirring/scraping will release them, and they would continue to burn. So, emptying the hot pot into a container or three, soaking, scrubbing, and washing the pot with hot soapy water, rinsing out, transferring the beans back into the pot, and finish cooking is the answer. On the plus side, it is extremely difficult to be distracted a second time. :oops:

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:49 am

rxkeith wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:28 pm today, i made a triple recipe of martys beans, and my wife made amigos chili
Your recipe sounds great, thanks. Does "mixing size spoon" mean a large, long-handled spoon you would use to stir something in a pot on the stove? Leveled off or heaping? Any idea the approximate amount yours holds -- 1/8 cup, 1/4 cup? I'm used to recipes with unusual measurements/no measurements (my grandmother didn't really measure anything in cooking), but just want to have a ballpark idea here if I try the recipe. Especially if "mixing size spoon" is Michigan for "tablespoon" and I'm way off base.
Last edited by Seven Bends on Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

rxkeith
Reactions:

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:51 am

marty did have a dedicated bean pot.

we have a couple dutch ovens i could have used, but i went with the big pot on the stove.
i think the key is to keep enough liquid in the beans while cooking. they might be wetter that first day,
but then the moisture gets absorbed. marty wasn't shy with the bourbon.
church didn't work out today. we are getting one of those blustery days with enough snow to make travel
dicey at best. the "good" part of our road was drifted over. we bashed through the drift, but decided that
it would be prudent to stay home. the stretch of road with the hay field on both sides is more than likely
impassable by now. we are hunkered down.

by mixing spoon size, i mean a sturdy wooden type spoon, you might use for mixing cookie dough or stirring
a big pot of something where you want to reach the bottom of the pot without burning your fingers. i have no
specific size in mind. this isn't a recipe that needs exact measurements. use what you have, and adjust up or down.

keith

Return to “What's Cooking.”