HELP: Any MUST GROW tomatoes suggestions

Everything About Tomatoes
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: HELP: Any MUST GROW tomatoes suggestions

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm

Sgt Peppers is the best antho I've trialed, but as a heart it's only mediocre in flavor. Dark Tiger was half-way decent in a year where my garden had the best tasting tomatoes in all my years of gardening. Perhaps down the road, there will be something better tasting than what we have now.

The good news, here, is that Captain Hook's hands are healed, and can set the Orca on a true course. I can type!

Wait until Karen hears about Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart. She'll have to get a whole new filing system just for the width of the label on the pack of seeds. ;)

She'll scour the earth to find a vendor, but will come up empty. For the variety does not YET exist. But, it hopefully is on its way, with several selections of crosses that I have as candidates. The name is derived from a lake not very far from me, the English name being Lake Webster. Mischka (of Tomatoville fame) lives in the town of Webster. Without his generosity of starting T'ville , I don't know what we would have had for a tomato growing community for the past decade, or more.

The translation of C. Heart (like I'm going to spell it again, and wonder if I can injure a hand by typing?) is "I fish on my side, you fish on your side, nobody fishes in the middle."

There is one word that I know of that is longer, but I've never been to New Zealand, and I'm not into swallowing any mountains.

tomato/tohmahto/Tormato/Taumata

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:58 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm The good news, here, is that Captain Hook's hands are healed, and can set the Orca on a true course. I can type!
You just made my day!!!

Now we can go fishing... ;)
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm

Where's that Chief Brody avatar, when I need it. :)

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:06 pm Where's that Chief Brody avatar, when I need it. :)
Well this city boy has saved that for you. All you need to do is ask. 8-)
~ Patti ~

TheDante
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm
There is one word that I know of that is longer, but I've never been to New Zealand, and I'm not into swallowing any mountains.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You somehow always have this uncanny ability to catch (or fish) this wee little anchovy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aaaaaaand, it is also soooooooooooooooooooo uncanny that you mentioned NZ as I have some kinda connection with this beautiful country that my DH so loves and adores =)

Let´s see if anyone can TRULY pronounce this word… ROFLMAO! :lol:

Will show you my SPECIAL label for the YET released Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart tomato too =)))

You are sooooooo killing me :lol: Nachti all.... wherever you are ^-^
Screenshot (155).png
Screenshot (156).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Karen´s current status - tomato nutcase :D

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm The good news, here, is that Captain Hook's hands are healed, and can set the Orca on a true course. I can type!
This college boy almost let you slide.

HOOPER DRIVES THE BOAT!
~ Patti ~

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:20 pm
TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am Will be more pedantic this year - compost and mulch - Wilber way =)
I didn´t mulch with straw/hay with my toms the last few years, I did mulch in the 1st 2 years - especially more so now with the crazy heat/temperatures we got last year!
Either that or I will need to add a THICKER layer of compost as mulch instead of hay/straw. Will have to see what I can get hold of. Might even try grass clippings/mowings so long as the tom leaves DO NOT get wet.

For me, mulch/compost (not compacted) needs to be about 2 1/2" + deep to start with, settling to about 2" in order to have a good positive effect. Anything less, and it doesn't do the best good job to help retain moisture in the soil.
I did realise that I didn´t mulch with more compost last year in the polytunnel and many of the toms suffered BER - mostly Roma/paste toms. I will definitely add a lot more compost/mulch this year. Dug out a pic from when I used straw/hay.
20150512_155958.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kind hearts are the gardens, Kind thoughts are the roots, Kind words are the blossoms, Kind deeds are the fruits - Karpal Singh

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 am

Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm Wait until Karen hears about Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart. She'll have to get a whole new filing system just for the width of the label on the pack of seeds. ;)

She'll scour the earth to find a vendor, but will come up empty. For the variety does not YET exist. But, it hopefully is on its way, with several selections of crosses that I have as candidates. The name is derived from a lake not very far from me, the English name being Lake Webster. Mischka (of Tomatoville fame) lives in the town of Webster. Without his generosity of starting T'ville , I don't know what we would have had for a tomato growing community for the past decade, or more.
The translation of C. Heart (like I'm going to spell it again, and wonder if I can injure a hand by typing?) is "I fish on my side, you fish on your side, nobody fishes in the middle."
:lol: :lol: :lol: shshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In your honour, awaiting patiently and anxiously for the much to be desired release of the elusive Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart seeds
20200116_114304.jpg

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:50 am

Nan6b wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:22 pm 3. Antho does not "contaminate" other tomatoes. They don't cross any more or less than any other. You may have heard that a lot of people find that most anthos don't taste so good. Your buds may be different. I have found that Dark Galaxy is a very tasty and beautiful antho.
Nan
I did think that if one bags their blooms and save seeds from the resulting fruit of the bagged blooms, I guess there really and shouldn´t be much concern or hysteria over ´contamination´.

I have seeds for Dark Galaxy too, may trial it this year ;)

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am

Slight mis spelling in the name, I think it is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. Tormato put an extra auggag in there, I believe. It is a lake in the town I was born in, one I swam in as a child, and I was taught how to pronounce it since I was a little tike, lol. A small lake in a small town with a huge name, and I don't come across people who know it very often. So I enjoyed reading this thread. If you are going to name a tomato after it, please make it good one, I want it in my garden every year. By the way, according to my Dad, it means "you fish on your side, I fish on my side, no one fishes in the middle". Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. :D

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:18 am

Sue_CT wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:07 am Slight mis spelling in the name, I think it is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. Tormato put an extra auggag in there, I believe. It is a lake in the town I was born in, one I swam in as a child, and I was taught how to pronounce it since I was a little tike, lol. A small lake in a small town with a huge name, and I don't come across people who know it very often. So I enjoyed reading this thread. If you are going to name a tomato after it, please make it good one, I want it in my garden every year. By the way, according to my Dad, it means "you fish on your side, I fish on my side, no one fishes in the middle". Thanks for taking me back to my childhood. :D
No way! :lol: thought he was pulling my limbs again :lol: Wow! I am intrigued! Thanks Sue =))

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 am

The realty is that there are at least three spellings, and I have no idea which is correct. This is the one I use (hoping the link works)...

https:/www.flicker.com/photos/94207108@N02/8731211237

I use it because the extra letters makes it even more impressive/ridiculous.

Besides, my healed hands are outpacing my brain at the moment. As an example, I've been mailing out packages in a seed swap. The scale I use, is fairly old, and might not be the most accurate for measuring small weights. So, I put another weight on the scale prior to putting a package on, and then subtract the original weight. But something looked horribly wrong when I kept getting different readings on the scale. I then realized the weight I used was the roll of packaging tape for mailing the packages. If anyone can't figure out what went wrong, you're in a leakier boat than I.

That's my tape story, and I'm sticking with it. ;)

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:00 pm

TheDante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:42 am
TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am Will be more pedantic this year - compost and mulch - Wilber way =)
I didn´t mulch with straw/hay with my toms the last few years, I did mulch in the 1st 2 years - especially more so now with the crazy heat/temperatures we got last year!
Either that or I will need to add a THICKER layer of compost as mulch instead of hay/straw. Will have to see what I can get hold of. Might even try grass clippings/mowings so long as the tom leaves DO NOT get wet.

For me, mulch/compost (not compacted) needs to be about 2 1/2" + deep to start with, settling to about 2" in order to have a good positive effect. Anything less, and it doesn't do the best good job to help retain moisture in the soil.
I did realise that I didn´t mulch with more compost last year in the polytunnel and many of the toms suffered BER - mostly Roma/paste toms. I will definitely add a lot more compost/mulch this year. Dug out a pic from when I used straw/hay.20150512_155958.jpg
Now you did it. After seeing that pic with all of the hanging/suspended plants, I can't get Renegade (by Styx) out of my head.

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm

TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am I did realise that I didn´t mulch with more compost last year in the polytunnel and many of the toms suffered BER - mostly Roma/paste toms. I will definitely add a lot more compost/mulch this year. Dug out a pic from when I used straw/hay.20150512_155958.jpg
Now you did it. After seeing that pic with all of the hanging/suspended plants, I can't get Renegade (by Styx) out of my head.
:lol: Sowwwwwyyyyy... I think ? :lol: :lol: :lol: my bad... They aren´t really ´suspended´, just an ´illusion´ ;)

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm

TheDante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm
TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am I did realise that I didn´t mulch with more compost last year in the polytunnel and many of the toms suffered BER - mostly Roma/paste toms. I will definitely add a lot more compost/mulch this year. Dug out a pic from when I used straw/hay.20150512_155958.jpg
:lol: Sowwwwwyyyyy... I think ? :lol: :lol: :lol: my bad... They aren´t really ´suspended´, just an ´illusion´ ;)

Just an illusion? So, under the straw are powerful little fans, blowing the strings upward?

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:03 pm
TheDante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:05 pm
TheDante wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:31 am Now you did it. After seeing that pic with all of the hanging/suspended plants, I can't get Renegade (by Styx) out of my head.

Just an illusion? So, under the straw are powerful little fans, blowing the strings upward?
Psssst…. show you and others a neat trick ;) ... I used to tie the stems above ground (always felt like I was ´strangling´ the main stem) but I used this other method last year with MUCH success and need not tie onto the stems anymore ;)

Watch and Learn ^-^

TheDante
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:28 pm

Not sure if anyone can see clearly that the strings/ropes are coming out of the soil twining around the tom main stem ;)
20190729_174921.jpg
20190729_174909.jpg

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:41 pm

The only thing I see is that someone's crochet stitch got carried away. :)

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:03 pm

TheDante wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 am
Tormato wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:54 pm Wait until Karen hears about Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart. She'll have to get a whole new filing system just for the width of the label on the pack of seeds. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: shshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshshsh! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In your honour, awaiting patiently and anxiously for the much to be desired release of the elusive Chargoggagoggmanchauggauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg Heart seeds

20200116_114304.jpg
NIce. I never would have though about writing it that way. My label is a single line tri-fold.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:25 pm

If anyone is interested, this is how it is pronounced:

Return to “Tomato Talk”