Tangerine Dream Pepper, Hybrid or OP?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Tangerine Dream Pepper, Hybrid or OP?

Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:41 am

UPDATE:

This spring/summer I grew another Tangerine Dream, this time from seed I collected from last year's beautiful TD grown from Burpee seed. This year's didn't do well at all, remaining pretty small. Seed germination was 80%. Again the Burpee online description still had no indication of F1 or OP so I just now called Burpee customer service and asked if TD was an F1 hybrid or open polllinated. I waited on hold for a time while the guy went and asked someone. He came back and said it is open pollinated.

FYI, none of the peppers did well this summer. It may be the bed they were planted in. It may have had too much shade. No indication of nematodes. The original I grew last year was up at the house on the row of pallets with the tomatoes where it got sun from about 9am until about 4:30 and then some shade from the hot afternoon sun. Happy plant!

I'm going to start another from that collected seed and grow it indoors over the winter so we'll see how that one does.

PNW_D
Reactions:

Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:59 am

went through my collection of traded sweet pepper seeds this spring and thought Tangerine Dream would be a good choice ...... anyhoo, as my peppers started to ripen I noticed none were orange ....... my two plants both had red peppers ........ but that's OK, red are good too

until I tasted one ....... wow!! ...... I don't do hot peppers and this one has, it seems, crossed ...... I did try only one ...... perhaps as one of the above posts stated, some are hot ........

now I am rather hesitant to save seed from my other sweet peppers planted nearby as I read somewhere they are very likely to cross with hot peppers??

still looking for the real Tangerine Dream
Zone 8b

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:07 pm

PNW_D wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:59 am ....... my two plants both had red peppers ........ but that's OK, red are good too until I tasted one ....... wow!! ...... I don't do hot peppers and this one has, it seems, crossed ...... I did try only one ...... perhaps as one of the above posts stated, some are hot ........
I'm still up in the air on the sweet pepper/hot pepper crossing thing. I grow all my peppers in the garden right next to each other. Sweets on one half of the row and the hots down the other half. Every once in a while I get a tiny tingle from one of the sweets next to the first hot pepper but I've never had the kind of heat you encountered. I'm not a hot pepper fan either except for some homemade pickled jalapeno slices for chili and sub sammies. Also poppers stuffed with cheese mix but I simmer the peppers a bit before stuffing them to geget some of the heat out of them.

Last year I grew my first Tangerine Dream from some original Burpee seed a friend gave me. It was in a pot up at the house with the tomatoes and no other peppers because I wanted to save seed from it. It had deep orange peppers on it.

As I said before, this year's plant grown from that seed hasn't done well at all but none of the other peppers had a good year either.

Today I started a TD for growing in the house so we'll see how it does.

Return to “General Discussion”