Productive Large Pinks

Everything About Tomatoes
MissS
Reactions:

Re: Productive Large Pinks

Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am

To me red and pink tomatoes do taste differently. For the most part reds seem to be a little more acidic to me. A little bolder if you will.
~ Patti ~

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:08 am

https://the-biologist-is-in.blogspot.co ... atoes.html

Found this discussion of tomato colors and the gene expressions that lead to the variety we experience.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:34 am

karstopography wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:37 am Interesting, yes, I’ve recently read about tomatoes with clear skin and ones with yellow skin. Does the skin color of the tomato drag along any other noticeable differences such as thickness, crack resistance, flavor, or anything else or is it sort of a stand alone genetic difference that doesn’t associate with other differences in the tomato?
My experience is that great tasting pink beefsteaks outnumber great tasting red ones by 100 to 1. My numbers will be skewed towards pinks, because I trial them at about 10 to 1 against reds. It's much like a fisherman actually catching, versus telling of catching, a fish of a certain length.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:34 pm

MissS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am To me red and pink tomatoes do taste differently. For the most part reds seem to be a little more acidic to me. A little bolder if you will.
You know that your taste buds are messed up, even beyond mine. :roll:

In my garden, almost all reds are bland, grown side-by-side with bold pinks. And, no red touches Brandywine Sudduth for boldness. Although, if we're talking mouth puckering flavor, some of those yellows easily beat the best reds.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:10 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:34 pm
MissS wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:46 am To me red and pink tomatoes do taste differently. For the most part reds seem to be a little more acidic to me. A little bolder if you will.
You know that your taste buds are messed up, even beyond mine. :roll:

In my garden, almost all reds are bland, grown side-by-side with bold pinks. And, no red touches Brandywine Sudduth for boldness. Although, if we're talking mouth puckering flavor, some of those yellows easily beat the best reds.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I will confirm that my taste buds are true. It is the reds that will cause me red burns or sore spots when I bite into one in the garden and the juices run down my chin. However the reds that I do like and find bold are those that cause me that acid burn. It's not to say that I don't agree that there are many of them that are rather bland because there are. My favorites are still those lush well balanced pinks that have a little punch to them. I just haven't tried too many yellows but those that I have I found rather tasteless and bland except for Limmony which I did enjoy.
~ Patti ~

mama_lor
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:28 am

Tormato wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:33 am
Setec Astronomy wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:27 am I don't know what I'm talking about, but I've been surprised no one has mentioned Pink Berkeley Tie Dye...is that not considered productive? Or pink? I grew it last year but I didn't really get any fruit; I had problems last year. I'm trying it again this year.
It's considered a "striped" tomato, not a pink.
It's most definitely in the black category. Not sure why it has pink in the name. Maybe to differentiate from the brown BTD.

steve ok
Reactions:

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:36 pm

I've narrowed my large pinks down to the following.
Before I started this thread I had already decided on the first two, so they were not included in my list.
Pervaya Lyubov (this was my best tomato last year)
Brandy Boy F1
Stump of the World (not on original list, poor production last year, using a different seed source this year)
Branywine Cowlick's (using proven seed from @MissS, I have limited confidence of success, but have to try it sometime)
Dester (2012 seed from Carolyn's Old Seed that has had satisfactory germination)
Mikado Rozovyi (@root_grow grows this every year, using seed she sent in to MMMM)
Polish Ellis
Most of these will be grown in raised beds. A couple will need to be grown in containers.

MissTee
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:26 am

Great list Steve. I’m also growing Pervaya Lyubov and Mikado Rozovyi this season.

I am considering Stump of the World, but I’m not sure if I have a long enough season (At only 100 days, I have never harvested fruit from either Brandywine or Dester here.) May and September are never predictable and can range from heat wave to snow, so a wide range of weather conditions in mid-western Ontario.

I would like to grow a North American large pink and would welcome recommendations on these, based on my short season:

Stump of the World
Rebel Yell
Elgin Pink
Olive Hill

Thanks!
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm

The earliest superb tasting tomato (a 9+) that I've trialed is Pruden's Purple. But, it is only about 4 to 5 days earlier than the rest of the superb ones. Pervaya Lyubov, a bit below superb, is 10 days earlier than Pruden's Purple. These are averages, as a single year could have much different results.

MissTee
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:46 pm

Tormato wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm The earliest superb tasting tomato (a 9+) that I've trialed is Pruden's Purple. But, it is only about 4 to 5 days earlier than the rest of the superb ones. Pervaya Lyubov, a bit below superb, is 10 days earlier than Pruden's Purple. These are averages, as a single year could have much different results.
I did grow Pruden’s Purple two years ago. One of the best tasting, but only got 1 or 2 fruit per plant. I decided it wouldn’t be back. One and done here.
Too many tomatoes, not enough time.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:29 pm

In 2009 A buddy kept telling me about a nice pink mater he had been buying from a vendor at a farmers market a few counties over from where he lived. He told me that it was the best he had ever tried in his life, and he had became addicted to em. He told me that you had to be at the market before it opened to even have a chance to buy one because they sold out so fast. Everytime I talked to my buddy he would bring that pink mater up, and tell me he was going to bring me one for seed. Well, the story went on until September of 2013 when he showed up at my house with one of the maters and told me to try it out and save the seed. I didn't taste it, due to time constraints, but I did hastily save all of the seeds I could get from the fruit which wasn't many due to its meatyness.

The next spring I looked for those seeds and they were nowhere to be found. After a pretty thorough search I figured that they must have been mistakenly thrown away. Fast forward to spring of 2020. I was going through a bean seed bin in a freezer and found that I had accidentally put em in the wrong place! That year I sowed enough of those seeds to get 10 transplants for a trial run. Those things were amazing! I also discovered in the trial that the original fruit had been cross pollinated with another variety because 20% of the plants bore an almost identical red fruit, and both were absolutely delicious! I didn't save any seeds from them in 2020, but rather I grew out more plants from the original seeds last year to get a better look, and to save a line of seed from the pink and the red fruit.

Last year was one of the wettest on record, but flavor from these, and my SB was amazing. Probably ranking near the top for a flavor year. I've grown several pinks through the years and SB always ranks at the very top flavor wise for me, and I really didn't think anything could even come close, but after last year I put this one right up there! The pink and the red side are both amazing with just subtly different undertones in flavor.

A tray of the pink line.
A tray of half and half. 20% of the original seed comes red.
One of the reds for lunch.
One of the pinks for lunch.
A box of the red line for a neighbor.

Does this variety look familiar to anyone?

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:45 pm

There are so many big beautiful pinks out there that it would be impossible to guess a pink beefsteak tomato's variety. My guess is that what you have is an unstable cross given that you are getting both red and pink. However it is not unheard of to get both red and pink producing plants from a stable variety.

That tomato is gorgeous and looks like a winner. I would gladly stop by for a meal anytime that you are serving one. :D
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:25 pm

MissTee wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:46 pm
Tormato wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:24 pm The earliest superb tasting tomato (a 9+) that I've trialed is Pruden's Purple. But, it is only about 4 to 5 days earlier than the rest of the superb ones. Pervaya Lyubov, a bit below superb, is 10 days earlier than Pruden's Purple. These are averages, as a single year could have much different results.
I did grow Pruden’s Purple two years ago. One of the best tasting, but only got 1 or 2 fruit per plant. I decided it wouldn’t be back. One and done here.
I once had an ultra rare quadcot twin-header Pruden's Purple. I gave up on counting the tomatoes. Several of the fruit were very blunt heart-shaped tomatoes. The odd thing was, late in the season, one header shriveled up and died, while the other one was healthy and kept producing until the frost. I saved seeds of fruit from each header separate, and after seeing the end of season results, threw away the seeds produced on the quicker to die header.

peebee
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:48 am

@Uncle_Feist nevermind the tomatoes, I want that lunch with chicken wings & the fresh rolls lathered in butter😄
But seriously, those tomatoes look absolutely fantastic! What is the name, or if you don't know from the vendor at the market, what will you be calling it?
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:02 am

Uncle_Feist wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:29 pm In 2009 A buddy kept telling me about a nice pink mater he had been buying from a vendor at a farmers market a few counties over from where he lived. He told me that it was the best he had ever tried in his life, and he had became addicted to em. He told me that you had to be at the market before it opened to even have a chance to buy one because they sold out so fast. Everytime I talked to my buddy he would bring that pink mater up, and tell me he was going to bring me one for seed. Well, the story went on until September of 2013 when he showed up at my house with one of the maters and told me to try it out and save the seed. I didn't taste it, due to time constraints, but I did hastily save all of the seeds I could get from the fruit which wasn't many due to its meatyness.

The next spring I looked for those seeds and they were nowhere to be found. After a pretty thorough search I figured that they must have been mistakenly thrown away. Fast forward to spring of 2020. I was going through a bean seed bin in a freezer and found that I had accidentally put em in the wrong place! That year I sowed enough of those seeds to get 10 transplants for a trial run. Those things were amazing! I also discovered in the trial that the original fruit had been cross pollinated with another variety because 20% of the plants bore an almost identical red fruit, and both were absolutely delicious! I didn't save any seeds from them in 2020, but rather I grew out more plants from the original seeds last year to get a better look, and to save a line of seed from the pink and the red fruit.

Last year was one of the wettest on record, but flavor from these, and my SB was amazing. Probably ranking near the top for a flavor year. I've grown several pinks through the years and SB always ranks at the very top flavor wise for me, and I really didn't think anything could even come close, but after last year I put this one right up there! The pink and the red side are both amazing with just subtly different undertones in flavor.

A tray of the pink line.

2009 time frame, both pink and red fruit, great taste, my only guess is Taps.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:18 am

Tormato wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:02 am
Uncle_Feist wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:29 pm In 2009 A buddy kept telling me about a nice pink mater he had been buying from a vendor at a farmers market a few counties over from where he lived. He told me that it was the best he had ever tried in his life, and he had became addicted to em. He told me that you had to be at the market before it opened to even have a chance to buy one because they sold out so fast. Everytime I talked to my buddy he would bring that pink mater up, and tell me he was going to bring me one for seed. Well, the story went on until September of 2013 when he showed up at my house with one of the maters and told me to try it out and save the seed. I didn't taste it, due to time constraints, but I did hastily save all of the seeds I could get from the fruit which wasn't many due to its meatyness.

A tray of the pink line.

2009 time frame, both pink and red fruit, great taste, my only guess is Taps.
Thanks!
Gotta anymore information on Taps, I can't find anything?

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:25 am

When I googled “taps tomato” I see something in TV forum and Dave’s Garden
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:38 am

peebee wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:48 am @Uncle_Feist nevermind the tomatoes, I want that lunch with chicken wings & the fresh rolls lathered in butter😄
But seriously, those tomatoes look absolutely fantastic! What is the name, or if you don't know from the vendor at the market, what will you be calling it?
Haha, thanks!

The vendor at the market didn't know the name of it. My buddy talked to that guy a lot about the origin and name, but he just told him that the mater had always been in his family. I don't know I buy that storyline in this day and age but it could possibly be true. Whatever the origin and story may be, it's one of the all time tops for flavor and production of quality fruit of the many pinks I have grown through the years. After growing it for only 2 years at this point, I place the flavor right up there with Sudduth's brandywine which has been my top favorite for decades at this point.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:02 am

Tatiana's TOMATObase has a bit of info. The rest is in my head.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:19 am

From the descriptions I can find, "Taps" is said to be PL in one, and changes back and forth from RL to PL in the other. I don't buy that. I've raised several of these in the last two years, plus the leftover seedlings in my starter tray, and all have been RL. They do have a vine that I would call medium large, and semi heart shaped in habit. Neither viny, nor regular vines. Somewhere in the middle.

Return to “Tomato Talk”