Top 3 Oxhearts

Everything About Tomatoes
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Top 3 Oxhearts

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:10 pm

To add to this thread, I just sent out the last pack of Orange Russian 117 from the MMMM stash. I think this variety was a freebie in orders from one vendor around 2014. The next swap was loaded with thousands of seeds from several participants. And this last and final pack, the label read Dawson's Russian Oxheart. I'm not naming my (Canadian) source. :roll:

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:51 pm

This thread really frustrates me, because I've trialed an unknown number of hearts, somewhere well over 100, maybe under 200, maybe not.

By taste alone I couldn't identify the vast majority of them, as with great growing conditions the reds and pinks are mostly "lusciously sweet and meaty". At any time of the season, one variety will taste better than another, only because it had the best weather at that time.

The other colors will have different flavors, just not as good, to me.. Three that stand out to me, are Russian #117, Donskoi, and Swoon. These have a more complex balanced taste, from my garden.

Then there is the one that got away. The best single heart that I've ever tried. The only tomato on a Swoon plant, back when it was about an F3. Probably the darkest pink (my favorite color, dark pink, not pink) tomato that I ever saw. The flavor was more intense than Swoon, growing next to it. It had less than ten seeds, all not looking like much. The next year I tried starting about three, but nothing germinated. Lost the seeds for a year, found them again, tried to start a few and nothing germinated. Lost them again, found them but didn't start any, and lost them again. If/when I find them, I think I have about three seeds to work with. And if successful, maybe it will just be the regular medium pink Swoon, and that one oddity was just because of environmentally related growing conditions.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 am

@MissS, I was thinking more that it was against TV rules to copy and paste from there. But good to know that it's OK to do that on TJ. :)

I'm going to grow my first oxheart this year (Anna Russian) but this whole thread has tempted me to grow more. . . and my husband said I could grow additional things out in the field (his domain) in addition to what I'll grow in the garden by our house (my domain). So, I'm seriously thinking about also growing Brad's Black Heart and Reif Red Heart if I can find the seeds. I'm literally drooling just thinking about it!

So glad I found this thread and for everyone's input.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

rdback
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:29 pm

I always enjoy reading other folks preferences/recommendations. I know this thread started in early 2021, but through the Spring there were a lot of posts. So, I was wondering what were the overall preferences for hearts. So, here's what I came up with. Enjoy.

Heart Tomatoes - Total Votes by TJ folks (Only multi-vote tomatoes shown. All others only received 1 vote)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:34 pm

WoodSprite wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:33 am @MissS, I was thinking more that it was against TV rules to copy and paste from there. But good to know that it's OK to do that on TJ. :)

I'm going to grow my first oxheart this year (Anna Russian) but this whole thread has tempted me to grow more. . . and my husband said I could grow additional things out in the field (his domain) in addition to what I'll grow in the garden by our house (my domain). So, I'm seriously thinking about also growing Brad's Black Heart and Reif Red Heart if I can find the seeds. I'm literally drooling just thinking about it!

So glad I found this thread and for everyone's input.
MMMM Swap, 2021 Master List tomatoes. post #8. ;)

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm

I really want to grow Orange Russian 117, but so far I have not been fond of any orange tomatoes I have grown. Does it have the typical fruity flavor common in orange varieties?

I have tried Amana Orange, Jaune Flamme, KBX, Persimmon, Pineapple (or is that a bicolor?) and some unknown orange that was supposed to be Brandywine Sudduth (it may have been Kellogg's Breakfast, I have no idea). I did not like the taste of any of them. I will keep trying though!

As for favorite Oxhearts, I have not tried that many, but of the ones I have grown I enjoyed Cuore di Bue and Yoder's German Pink the most. I prefer sweeter tomatoes for fresh eating. I think Teton de Venus might be good choice for juicing.

Hoping to grow several of the often recommended varieties this season.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:57 pm

@rdback, I can't get that to open.

@Tormato, thanks. It's so nice that you do that but I'm trying very hard not to accumulate too many seeds. However I did order 7 oxheart varieties last night (plus Daniel Burson since MissS loves it). I'm so excited to taste them all!
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:00 pm

@rdback, I can see it now. Thanks. :)
~ Darlene ~

zendog
Reactions:

Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:01 pm

I've grown several and probably my favorite red/pink type heart is Grightmire's Pride. Previously I liked Fish Lake the best, but Grightmire's is definitely tastier, if possibly a few days later to ripen. Kosovo is a workhorse and makes some very large hearts, but not quite as good for flavor. I tried Swoon last year, but my plant had some early issues and didn't get to production so I'll have to try that one again this year.

For yellow/orange Nizami was definitely the best I've had, although Midnight Sun is close. Looks like I'll have to give Orange Russian 117 a try.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm I really want to grow Orange Russian 117, but so far I have not been fond of any orange tomatoes I have grown. Does it have the typical fruity flavor common in orange varieties?

I have tried Amana Orange, Jaune Flamme, KBX, Persimmon, Pineapple (or is that a bicolor?) and some unknown orange that was supposed to be Brandywine Sudduth (it may have been Kellogg's Breakfast, I have no idea). I did not like the taste of any of them. I will keep trying though!

As for favorite Oxhearts, I have not tried that many, but of the ones I have grown I enjoyed Cuore di Bue and Yoder's German Pink the most. I prefer sweeter tomatoes for fresh eating. I think Teton de Venus might be good choice for juicing.

Cuore Di Bue is considered a piriform, rather than a heart, by some (most?) of us.

A piriform, pear shape, is narrow at the stem, and tapers outward toward the blossom end.

A heart will have wide shoulders, and tapers inward toward the blossom end.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:10 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 am
Cuore Di Bue is considered a piriform, rather than a heart, by some (most?) of us.

A piriform, pear shape, is narrow at the stem, and tapers outward toward the blossom end.

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case anyone else is wondering: the Cuore di Bue name is sometimes used for oxheart shapes, as in this offering from Franchi:
https://www.growitalian.com/tomato-cuor ... rt-106-24/
and this one from Vilmorin:
https://www.garden-experts.gr/en/Tomato-Cuor-Di-Bue-766
and Premier Seeds Direct:
https://www.premierseedsdirect.com/prod ... re-di-bue/

The piriform versions are more common for that name, though -- which is odd since they don't look like the heart of an ox (cuore di bue) and therefore don't really fit the name.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:11 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:55 pm I really want to grow Orange Russian 117, but so far I have not been fond of any orange tomatoes I have grown. Does it have the typical fruity flavor common in orange varieties?

Yes. The one I grew was heart shaped.

I know other gardeners have shown a piriform fruit for a variety of the same name. Maybe the vendor where I got my seeds used the wrong name? I have no idea. Bull's Heart is such a generic name, I imagine it has been used often for different varieties.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:10 pm

I'm sure you already know this, but just in case anyone else is wondering: the Cuore di Bue name is sometimes used for oxheart shapes, as in this offering from Franchi:

The piriform versions are more common for that name, though -- which is odd since they don't look like the heart of an ox (cuore di bue) and therefore don't really fit the name.
Thanks for sharing the links.

I think we all know what part of the bull the piriform shape looks like, but I doubt anyone wants to call it that! :shock:

Paulf
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm

Sorry to be a little late to this thread. As a lover of hearts and have only grown out a hundred or so, picking three is a chore. I will name the three that have been my most recent favorites. Early on in this section many have mentioned Orange Russian #117. I would whole "Heartedly" agree. When OR117 is good it is great, but for me that happens only one year in three or four. It is either top of the heap or very average. In '21 OR117 was excellent. So for that reason there are three others in my list.

Canadian Heart---sweet, productive and pretty...hard combination to beat.
Koral London---same as above
Hungarian Heart---beat out Fish Lake and Wes for third only because productivity is better on a yearly average. Some years FL and Wes only give a few fruits

Never met a Heart I didn't like. So many great ones, so many more to try.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:44 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm

Thanks for sharing the links.

I think we all know what part of the bull the piriform shape looks like, but I doubt anyone wants to call it that! :shock:
Rebecca Sebastian had no problem calling it that.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:00 pm

The premierseedsdirect picture does not line up with their description (rounded base, ribbed).

"Bull's Heart", in various languages, can mean several different tomatoes.

For me, I've used Cuore Di Bue for the piriform, and Cuor Di Bue for the heart. This aligns with some published descriptions, although the D is sometimes capitalized and sometimes not.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:06 pm

Paulf wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:18 pm Sorry to be a little late to this thread. As a lover of hearts and have only grown out a hundred or so, picking three is a chore. I will name the three that have been my most recent favorites. Early on in this section many have mentioned Orange Russian #117. I would whole "Heartedly" agree. When OR117 is good it is great, but for me that happens only one year in three or four. It is either top of the heap or very average. In '21 OR117 was excellent. So for that reason there are three others in my list.

Canadian Heart---sweet, productive and pretty...hard combination to beat.
Koral London---same as above
Hungarian Heart---beat out Fish Lake and Wes for third only because productivity is better on a yearly average. Some years FL and Wes only give a few fruits

Never met a Heart I didn't like. So many great ones, so many more to try.
I really need to introduce you to Wretched Heart, don't I? ;)

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:13 pm I think we all know what part of the bull the piriform shape looks like, but I doubt anyone wants to call it that! :shock:
That did occur to me, but I didn't want to be the one to write it. I'm glad you stepped up to the plate. :lol:

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:53 pm

I have not grown many hearts. I have enjoyed OR117 when I grew it, good flavor and texture and very productive. Tundra is excellent flavor and good production—highly recommend people try it if they like black/purple tomatoes.

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:33 am

Last year was the first year I didn't grow any other hearts other than Kosovo and I truly missed them in my garden. I went on a heart hunt in the Fall and now have seeds to start German Red Strawberry, Anna Maria's, Kosovo, Rozovyi Myod, Girthmire's Pride, Reif Red Heart, Midnight Sun and the non-heart Cour di Bue. I typically grow between 10-12 tomatoes but may push 14 this year. This past year was a stinky year for the garden all together so hoping for a better year. I will not grow all of the varieties I have listed so will need to choose once I start setting seed.

Kosovo will always be in my garden. It may not be the best at production or the best at taste or the earliest, but it is a rock solid, dependable part of my garden and I have grown it most years for the 12+ that I have maps of my garden for. Regardless of temps, too much rain, too little rain - it always performs for me. I did not grow it 1 year and missed it. I have tried Wes and OR 117 and Joe's Pink and Fish Lake Oxheart - love them, but I look at production, size (big concern when you have limited space), not just taste. Aside from taste, which Joe's Pink might win for me, Fish Lake Oxheart wins my award for the tomato that tries the hardest. I had one year where the main stem got severely damaged by a tree branch and that wispy stem continued to pump out tomatoes all year - I was amazed... a heart with a heart!
- Sandy zone 6A

Return to “Tomato Talk”