Productive Large Pinks

Everything About Tomatoes
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Productive Large Pinks

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:45 am

Uncle_Feist wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:19 am From the descriptions I can find, "Taps" is said to be PL in one, and changes back and forth from RL to PL in the other. I don't buy that. I've raised several of these in the last two years, plus the leftover seedlings in my starter tray, and all have been RL. They do have a vine that I would call medium large, and semi heart shaped in habit. Neither viny, nor regular vines. Somewhere in the middle.
I have a tomato that for many years would change back and forth between RL and PL. A few years ago, one line from it appears to be a stable RL. I still have some decade old seed that I may attempt to grow out and see what happens.

Also, I have an unstable heart cross that keeps switching back and forth between RL, PL, pink, and red. These lines, I believe will eventually be stable.

Uncle_Feist
Reactions:

Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:03 pm

Uncle_Feist wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:38 am
peebee wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:48 am @Uncle_Feist nevermind the tomatoes, I want that lunch with chicken wings & the fresh rolls lathered in butter😄
But seriously, those tomatoes look absolutely fantastic! What is the name, or if you don't know from the vendor at the market, what will you be calling it?
Haha, thanks!

The vendor at the market didn't know the name of it. My buddy talked to that guy a lot about the origin and name, but he just told him that the mater had always been in his family. I don't know I buy that storyline in this day and age but it could possibly be true. Whatever the origin and story may be, it's one of the all time tops for flavor and production of quality fruit of the many pinks I have grown through the years. After growing it for only 2 years at this point, I place the flavor right up there with Sudduth's brandywine which has been my top favorite for decades at this point.
Any of the members who got seed of red and pink Stacy have any remarks about flavor and productivity?

After 3 years growing it I still say it's one of the most flavorful and delicious maters I've ever grown. Period.

I grew both the pink and red line out this year for the first time after separating the seed. The pink line all came back pink, but the red line looks like only 20-30% came red with remainder of the plants producing pink fruit. I'm going to continue to select and try to isolate the red side in the coming seasons.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:30 pm

I'm with Nan
02.JPG
Stump Stump Stump!
08.JPG

I don't know about up north though...it may be a few days shorter than a brandywine, but they are pretty similar tomatoes. Isn't that the stump origin story? From a world's fair brandywine, or some such?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:48 am

The whole story on the origins of SOTW may never be know. Some of the story is here...

https://blog.seedsavers.org/blog/tomato-tasting-winners

I find SOTW and Brandywine Sudduth very similar in flavor, with BS being stronger (in the rare year when it reaches its full potential). For me, days to maturity are about the same, SOTW being much more productive, and being way more consistent in flavor (virtually any tomato is more consistent than Brandywine). SOTW is my #1 recommended beefsteak for growers to trial, and my #2 favorite tomato.

Return to “Tomato Talk”