2021/2022 arrivals and departures

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: 2021 arrivals and departures

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 am

eyolf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:08 pm Package to MN arrived today.

Much gratitude. Although some will have to wait a year.

I'm very pleased to see several short-season varieties and shouted out loud to see a couple of Roger Doucette (Quebec) varieties I do not have and a couple that my seeds got old.

Yay!
You picked the right year to join. This year had more short-season cold-weather varieties than any previous year. And,the last time there was a good number of them was about 2013.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am

I'm very pleased to see several short-season varieties and shouted out loud to see a couple of Roger Doucette (Quebec) varieties I do not have and a couple that my seeds got old.

Yay!
I was reading an article about Roger Doucet and it indicated his work led to the development of a "square" tomato. Anyone know what that is? Is it Jaune à farcir? It appears to be a yellow stuffing tomato.

Also, how do those ....bec tomatoes taste? I have never grown any of them.

Sorry to derail....

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am

Yay!
I was reading an article about Roger Doucet and it indicated his work led to the development of a "square" tomato. Anyone know what that is? Is it Jaune à farcir? It appears to be a yellow stuffing tomato.

Sorry to derail....
How do the 'bec tomatoes taste?

You'll (SPOILER ALERT!) get them. It's then up to you to grow them and grade them.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:51 am

Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:24 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am

Yay!

Sorry to derail....
How do the 'bec tomatoes taste?

You'll (SPOILER ALERT!) get them. It's then up to you to grow them and grade them.
The best answer! Thanks!

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am I was reading an article about Roger Doucet and it indicated his work led to the development of a "square" tomato. Anyone know what that is? Is it Jaune à farcir? It appears to be a yellow stuffing tomato.
I don't have any info about a square tomato developed by Roger Doucet, but I sent Veepro into the MMMM this year. It's a "square" plum tomato developed by the Horticultural Research Institute in Ontario, introduced in 1977 and the first square cultivar to be named. https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.4141/cjps81-114 (journal article about Veeroma and Veepro)
https://www.nytimes.com/1978/01/22/arch ... s-and.html Old NY Times article about introduction of Veepro and Square Paste.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

SPOILER Re: 2021 arrivals and departures

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:19 am

eyolf wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:08 pm I'm very pleased to see several short-season varieties and shouted out loud to see a couple of Roger Doucette (Quebec) varieties I do not have and a couple that my seeds got old.

Yay!
Not sure if I was the source for any of the ones you received, but I sent in three Roger Doucet varieties (Superbec, Ultrabec, Usabec) and a couple other early determinates. I'm new to the swap and was worried that I might be sending in a bunch of things no one would like (I'm insecure that way), so I'm really glad to hear they may have made someone happy.

Two years ago Sand Hill Preservation ran a special where you could get a pot luck assortment of a particular color/type of tomato for a low price, and I ordered one set of red and one of pink. Unfortunately for me here in Virginia, I received quite a few early/cold season/determinate varieties that I didn't think would be particularly well-suited to our climate, and I don't have much room in my small garden to experiment. Thanks to the magic of the MMMM, it all worked out great!

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:22 pm

There's almost nothing in the swap that at least one participant wants. There was even a request for, :roll: as listed...

Gapan Native (worst taste ever!)

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:00 am
Toomanymatoes wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:13 am I was reading an article about Roger Doucet and it indicated his work led to the development of a "square" tomato. Anyone know what that is? Is it Jaune à farcir? It appears to be a yellow stuffing tomato.
I don't have any info about a square tomato developed by Roger Doucet, but I sent Veepro into the MMMM this year. It's a "square" plum tomato developed by the Horticultural Research Institute in Ontario, introduced in 1977 and the first square cultivar to be named. https://cdnsciencepub.com/doi/abs/10.4141/cjps81-114 (journal article about Veeroma and Veepro)
https://www.nytimes.com/1978/01/22/arch ... s-and.html Old NY Times article about introduction of Veepro and Square Paste.
Thanks, I will check that out. I do not believe Roger Doucet developed it, but his work helped in some way according to the article I read.

OhioGardener
Reactions:

Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:27 pm

Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:22 pm There's almost nothing in the swap that at least one participant wants. There was even a request for, :roll: as listed...

Gapan Native (worst taste ever!)
Ha ha ha. I wasn't kidding about the flavor. I did read though where one SSE member is using it to make crosses for disease resistance.
Debbie

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Re: SPOILER Re: 2021 arrivals and departures

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:19 am Not sure if I was the source for any of the ones you received, but I sent in three Roger Doucet varieties (Superbec, Ultrabec, Usabec) and a couple other early determinates. I'm new to the swap and was worried that I might be sending in a bunch of things no one would like (I'm insecure that way), so I'm really glad to hear they may have made someone happy.

Two years ago Sand Hill Preservation ran a special where you could get a pot luck assortment of a particular color/type of tomato for a low price, and I ordered one set of red and one of pink. Unfortunately for me here in Virginia, I received quite a few early/cold season/determinate varieties that I didn't think would be particularly well-suited to our climate, and I don't have much room in my small garden to experiment. Thanks to the magic of the MMMM, it all worked out great!
Grin I and my friends are always in search of cool tolerant short season varieties that taste good... in a good year I can get a couple of tomatoes from my Green Zebra plants. In a bad year it may snow before they even bloom... big one pound heirlooms that take 80+ days to ripen nope not here not enough heat days and we may not even get green tomatoes from them to bring inside to ripen. So far my largest tomato has been on my Large Barred Boar and we nearly died of shock at the size. Yep that variety is a keeper for us now.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

mamadisalvo
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:16 am

Holy Tomato, package received! Many many thanks from a first time participant! This may be the death knell for the remaining lawn.

Now off for some January garden dreaming….

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:35 pm

departures..

Al Se J
CAN De A
CAN Zo T
SD Wa L

When I got to the PO, I was the only one there, with only one employee at the counter. After processing the four packages, I turned around, and there was a line out the door. :oops: Of course, the people were 6 feet apart, not like the lines from a few yeas ago.

One more newbie to go (I think), and then it's working my way north with addresses. I've been a bit slow and tired earlier this week, due to less sleep because of the back pain. I was about to fall asleep a few times while packing seeds late in the evening. I solved the problem by discovering spaghetti westerns :roll: on youtube. I'm not really watching them closely, I just look at the screen when there's gunfire, which keeps me alert.

zendog
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:11 pm

I just watched A Fist Full of Dollars last week and will now watch For A Few Dollars More in solidarity - I've got a ruptured disc, but it is being good to me lately. Which ones are keeping you up at night?

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 pm

zendog wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:11 pm I just watched A Fist Full of Dollars last week and will now watch For A Few Dollars More in solidarity - I've got a ruptured disc, but it is being good to me lately. Which ones are keeping you up at night?
All of the free ones on Grjngo/youtube. For A Few Dollars More will take a long to time to watch, if you have the patience to make it through, not just the commercials, but also the times the movie just pauses.

It's basically a double feature every night, except for that full director's cut of The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Some of the low budget ones are rough to watch. Beyond poor lines, acting, plot, etc...the picture and sound are sometimes not in sync.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:55 pm

Grin if you have a Roku streaming device there are free channels that have almost all the spaghetti westerns on them... We have been enjoying Peacock, Tubi, and Pluto the last few days. Yesterday DH binge watched war movies from the 50s after of course we both watched Zulu again.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:16 pm

Somewhere down a long dusty canyon trail, maybe there will be a natural cross show up in my garden as a good tasting paste/plum tomato. I could then begin a line of "spaghetti western" named varieties. I had one plum show up last year, from saved Russian #117 seeds, but I didn't taste it. I also don't remember if I saved seeds. This is because previously I've had a few paste/plums show up unexpectedly, and these were the absolutely blandest tomatoes, with the bonus of a dry mealy texture, to ever come out of my garden.

Also, I suppose I could cross Mama Leone with something, and wind up with a Sergio Leone variety.

zendog
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:47 pm

And then commercialize it for what, a fist full of dollars?

Sorry, once you start down the dusty trail...

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 pm

Yeah, you can get anything out of a garden cross. Or you could get multiple types. You might end up with the good, the bad and the ugly.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:29 pm

I'm hoping for a tall indeterminate that will Hang 'Em High.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:53 pm

Holy buckets of tomato seeds, Batman! I just got my swap package and wow! I couldn't believe how many little bags of seeds were in there. So many varieties!

My 12 year old and I sat on the couch and went through them all. She was as stoked about it as I was and had her phone out looking up varieties. She wants to grow Orange You Glad and Rebel Starfighter Prime this year. I wonder if we can convince my mom to slice an end off her double corn row for those. Hmmm.

I've already started some tomatoes for the hanging baskets we have in a greenhouse for early tomatoes and I'm going to plant a few Maglia Rosa now to go along with them. Yay!

Thank you so much for all the work you do with this swap, Tormato! We're really enjoying it and my mom is going to love going through all these seeds, too.

Return to “MMMM Swap”