It's Tomato Starting Day!

Everything About Tomatoes
JRinPA
Reactions:

Re: It's Tomato Starting Day!

Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:57 pm

Okay I got my tomatoes started, for realz this time. No more false starts.

About 2 days back I started...cuostralee, sweet ozark orange, and stump in one tray of 50. They are for slicing. Costoluto Genovese and my little round faux pice in another tray. They are for sauce. Then today - I just finished up - 15 estiva f1 and 15 big beef f1, for insurance. Just two cherries this year - 1 single sunsugar, 1 single sungold. And then with three blocks of wet mix left, 1 Aunt Ruby Green 2014 unbagged, and 2 Black from Tula.

The last two were tormato specials. I wanted to try Black from Tula like three years ago. I still haven't found a black tomato that seems worth growing... And I have never grown a GWR. I am assuming Aunt Ruby Green is a GWR.

indysun
Reactions:

Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:51 pm

Grown 2022.odt
Hi jr, I started my list of indeterminates 4/7/2022 plus all 5 cherries I took from a container of Sunset from Costco to see what happens? May be last yr for doing so many. Last year about 50 varieties and 40 were 2 or more per cage :lol:
All my micro's and Dwarfs I started 2 weeks ago. We'll see how my timing is this yr.
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

indysun
Reactions:

Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:53 pm

opps! 1) 1884 Pink
2) Aunt Ginny’s Purple
3) Black from Tula
4) Big Cheef
5) Bradley
6) Brandywine Sudduth's Strain
7) Chapman
8) Caspian Pink
9) Cherokee Purple
10) Dana's Dusky Rose
11) African Queen
12)General Lee
13)German Queen
14)Olive Hill
15)KBX ?
16)Keepsake
17)Prue
18)Rebel Yell
19) Just Grow IT!
20)Thesselonski
21) Elgin Pink
22) Stump of the World
23)Mat Su Express
24) Brutus
25)Bloody Butcher
26)Sofie’s Choice
27) Dester
28) Arkansas Traveler
29) Summer Sunrise
30) Stupice
31) Coastal Orange Pride
32) Tennesee Suited
33) Mr.Snow
34) New Big
35) Rosella Crimson
36) Brandy Fred
37) Sweet Scarlet
38) Wild Fred
39) Tasty Wine
40)Boronia Dwarf
41)Wild Spudleaf Yellow Cherry
42)Sweet 100 Sweet 100
55)Aztec-3
56)Rejina-4
64)Vilma
65)Pinocchio Orange

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:14 am

First seedling of the 2022 crop is the Opalka Hybrid, which chose to break the surface during the overnight.

The Gotch

EDIT: Mere hours later, coupla San Marzanos and SOTWs are up..YAY!
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:40 pm

I was just ask how is everyone seedlings doing. I have all 4 exstreme bush come up and cherry falls this morning all 6 of them the other well we won’t talk about em haha there really slow to grow so far

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 am

So double post has anyone had to start over yet meaning starts didn’t take and so on? I had to pull all my siletz and toss them they didn’t take to there new environment this batch seemed to me very fragile. I re started new seeds different company the right starter mix and hopefully all goes well so far I have 10 that germinated. Fingers crossed worse case I’m buying a bunch of starts

JRinPA
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:46 am

Not for tomatoes, no restarts for me. My hybrid seed tray is still not showing sprouts, going on 6 days, but those are store bought, and store bought seeds always take substantially longer for me to germinate than the ones I ferment in a cup and then let air dry on a paper plate for weeks.

I have lost trays other years, or partial trays, usually due to mechanical error. The tomato season here has a very long sweet spot in the middle, so restarting seed, even in late April, still gets a good full crop of tomatoes.

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:36 pm

It’s a weird start to all my tomatoes I’m still waiting for some to germinate as well it’s been about 6 days to for the polar baby

JosephineRose
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:12 pm

AKgardener wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:18 am So double post has anyone had to start over yet meaning starts didn’t take and so on? I had to pull all my siletz and toss them they didn’t take to there new environment this batch seemed to me very fragile. I re started new seeds different company the right starter mix and hopefully all goes well so far I have 10 that germinated. Fingers crossed worse case I’m buying a bunch of starts
Yes, I just restarted last night. I had been searching for one variety to try the last four years and finally sourced it this winter. It was planted with the other 52 varieties on April 3rd and was the only one to have zero germination. Just my luck.

After consulting with the seed source (who had not planted it in several years), I decided to go for broke and sow every seed in the packet. If there is a viable seed in there, I'll find it. I am now committed to growing out any plants that come up, no matter how many - may be a lot of grow bags. Hopefully the fruit will not disappoint and I'll be able to save seed.
Melissa
Zone: 10A
Climate: Warm Summer Mediterranean
Avg annual rainfall: 23.96"

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:13 pm

@JosephineRose i did the same thing all the seeds I had but it’s nuts how today I noticed 5 tomatoes seeds mixed in with my basil plants . Because it was 3 weeks no germination so I just tossed the dirt in a bucket planted my basil abs was like ok that was that until I went to go water it and now there are tomatoes seeds popping up haha just my luck

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:38 pm

The daily look at the 10 day forecast (because I grow seedlings outside) gives me hope for sowing seeds next Wednesday/Thursday for emergence on Sunday. Temps are predicted to be about 65 for several days, starting then. That's about a week before a normal starting date for me. I'm in no rush for the yearly disappointments. Besides, I still haven't made a grow list. :oops:

AKgardener
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 pm

I’m in no rush for disappointment either it’s a process I have to fail to get better. Maybe I should play music for them haha I heard plants like it

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:05 pm

AKgardener wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:18 pm I’m in no rush for disappointment either it’s a process I have to fail to get better. Maybe I should play music for them haha I heard plants like it

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:58 pm

Yesterday I started six new micros, figuring that by the time they need the tall lights that the current producers are under, the current ones will have moved to the front porch for the duration.

Andrina
Aztek
Inkspot
Totem
Vilma
Yellow Canary

Oh, and I learned a hard lesson about seed saving. I had two plates of saved micro seed dried and ready to go into envelopes for storage. Rounding the corner and into the computer room, heading for my desk, I was met by the air from a floor fan. The air flipped up the waxed paper on each plate and seeds went flying. Total loss of about 300 seeds. It's that time of year when a floor fan will keep the house cool without having to turn on the AC and I had forgotten about fans vs seed plates. Having been rudely reminded, let's just say I won't make that mistake again. :roll:

AKgardener
Reactions:

Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:11 pm

I have tried all your micro list except ink spot and Toruń because I’m waiting for one to finish ripping and the other to get flowers I still have more varieties to try I have the seeds just waiting on space now Vilma’s we’re my favorite

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:31 pm

Due to a Failure To Launch by numerous of my starts, and the selfless munificence of someone who shall remain nameless, (though his initials are @Tormato), I had to head back to the planting table today for:

*Cornue des Andes Heirloom
*Ernie's Plump
*Guido Heirloom
*Inzhir Rozovyi
*Italian Gold
*Marzano Fire
*Santa Maria Heirloom
*Sun Gold Hybrid
*Teton de Venus
*​Uncle Steve's Italian

Citius, Altius, Fortius...right...?

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

AKgardener
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:38 pm

For some reason tomato season has started rocky for everyone! I’m buying my starts from the greenhouse this weekend because I only have a few that look good . Guess it’s cucumber season this year haha cause they look amazing

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:53 pm

@AKgardener; "Guess it’s cucumber season this year haha cause they look amazing"

May we only hope...

2020 was a banner year for the Gotchberg Cuke crop of Green Light & Sweet Success (SS); the lovely and long suffering Mrs. Gotch, much to her adoring husband's delight, whipped up all manner of salads, dips, sliced raw/thin for samitches, quickles, etc.

Heck, even finely diced with yogurt & fresh chopped dill on top of Salmon....the latter prepared any which you's choose.

Last year couldn't have possibly been worse.

This year we have four (4) SS and two (2) Diva thriving (thus far) under the lights.

The Gotch

AKgardener
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 3:24 pm

Well I have several cucumbers already and tomatoes!! I did start some more micros yesterday Vilma’s and I also started a dwarf variety sneaky sauce not shure I’ll have enough time for those to grow and ripped in the end but it’s worth a shot !!

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue May 17, 2022 3:39 pm

AKgardener, I have no idea if that is good for you or not since I have no idea where you are since you don't provide any information at all on your location, but go for it, why not, lol? I assume if you have tomatoes you are significantly south of me anyway. But no matter where you are it is a good thing when your garden starts producing, isn't it? :)

Return to “Tomato Talk”