Point cut or flat cut?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
Tormato
Reactions:

Re: Point cut or flat cut?

Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:58 am

worth1 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:43 am
Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:14 am
worth1 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:25 am There's also the mid cut of which I have in the solution now.
Are you sure that you're not McDoss? You just had corned beef 2 weeks ago. ;)
I just happen to like corned beef and pastrami.
Every time I go to a deli that's what I get.
Corned beef and pastrami, probably my two favorite meats.

Pastrami sandwich - slightly toasted light rye bread, a slice or two of sharp cheddar, a solid sheet of fried scrambled eggs, pastrami, condiments of choice.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:37 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:11 am
karstopography wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:19 am Guinness is great (make sure to get the nitrogen capsule containing cans and not the bottles for the creaminess of the nitrogen bubbles). If you can find Murphy’s Irish Stout, that one I do believe is even better. Decades ago, I went to Ireland to visit my BIL that lived in Dublin. Guinness was the stout of Dublin and surrounding areas or so I was lead to believe(although a lot of young people at the time preferred budweiser or harp lager). Murphy’s was the stout people in southwest Ireland, Cork, Kerry, preferred. I preferred Murphy’s as well.
My understanding is that Guinness in the USA is different to the Guinness oversees. Only special events, like Highland Games, are allowed to import the real stuff. That's only what I heard, can't prove it.
https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/news ... s-0160783/

Same guinness ale here or there, made only in Dublin. Beer and Ale being perishable products, subject to oxidation, flavor changes over time and the relative cleanliness of the draft lines will have an impact on flavor, these being the reasons along with ambience Guinness tastes different in Dublin vs. Boston.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:39 pm

I usually get two corned beefs. One for the crock pot for corned beef sandwiches and the other gets de-brined and put on the smoker for pastrami. I will be in sandwich heaven for the month.
~ Patti ~

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:50 pm

I prefer to cut my tomatoes flat, they fit on the sandwich better that way. :oops:

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:22 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:50 pm I prefer to cut my tomatoes flat, they fit on the sandwich better that way. :oops:
Been growing those corned beefsteaks?

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:59 pm

I just have time to start another one in ((The Seven‐Per-Cent Solution)).
Come my dear Watson we have work to do.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:40 pm

The last corned beef I consumed was at Kenny and Ziggy’s Deli on Post Oak in Houston. My wife and I each got a Reuben Sandwich, one with pastrami and one corned beef. Big mistake, one sandwich between us would have been more than enough. The corned beef was better than the pastrami, but both were delicious. Every patron in there seemed to know each other and almost all had appeared to have recent roots in NYC, a fact that was later confirmed by my wife’s good friend that has FIL from NYC and frequents the restaurant. It was quite the experience.

I’ll take either, point or flat. I generally eat the flat first on a smoked brisket and then chop the point for sandwiches. I see where folks make their own corned beef. Maybe someday.

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:03 pm

The best Reuben that I ever had was at a Jewish deli in NYC. Piled high, I don't remember the deli, just the sandwich. That was about 50 years ago.

The worst Reuben that I ever had, about a decade ago, was at a local festival with only a few selected vendors, who cornered all of the food sales. It was made with plain roast beef, and not much of it. When asked about it, the owner of the vending business didn't care, he just shrugged his shoulders.

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:47 am

Picked up 2 point cuts from Aldi's to cook together. One looked almost more like a flat cut. $2.99 a pound. Cabbage, carrots and onions here already. Got some Irish cobbler potatoes to use as well, will do a boil/steam thing with them separately from all else. Still debating using the crock pot or oven...

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:51 am

If a Reuben isn't half fat it ain't worth eating. :lol:
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:06 am

Danny wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:47 am Picked up 2 point cuts from Aldi's to cook together. One looked almost more like a flat cut. $2.99 a pound. Cabbage, carrots and onions here already. Got some Irish cobbler potatoes to use as well, will do a boil/steam thing with them separately from all else. Still debating using the crock pot or oven...
I would go with a slow braise in a good cast iron Dutch oven in the oven at 225F to 250F.
The Dutch oven with the basting things in the lid.
Something no crock pot I've ever seen duplicate.
But that's just my opinion.
A pressure cooker is another good method as well if you let it cool naturally and not release the steam.
Releasing the pressure sucks the moisture out of the meat.
Worth

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:00 am

Danny wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:47 am Picked up 2 point cuts from Aldi's to cook together. One looked almost more like a flat cut. $2.99 a pound. Cabbage, carrots and onions here already. Got some Irish cobbler potatoes to use as well, will do a boil/steam thing with them separately from all else. Still debating using the crock pot or oven...
Home grown Irish Cobblers?

I grew them once, as they surprisingly arrived as a replacement for a potato variety that the company ran out of. Irish Cobbler made the best mashed potatoes that I ever had in my life.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:29 am

I've had many a Reuben in my life, but I never made my own. The Rueben is always my first test of a deli that I've never eaten at. If they don't make a Reuben, I won't eat there.

At a new, to me, Chinese restaurant, I always order the house lo mien.

This year, I think that I'll finally make my own Reuben.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:32 am

I agree. Plenty of places now call themselves a deli, but a true delicatessen must have a Reuben sandwich on the menu. A true delicatessen has a certain comforting feel about them that these new ones never seem to capture.

One thing that’s difficult to find in the average Chinese restaurant here are scallion pancakes. Every Chinese restaurant in Massachusetts seems to have those on the menu. I never know what to get at a Chinese restaurant. I can tell you though, if you see “Sea Cucumber” on the menu, do not order that.

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:48 am

They had a killer sandwich in downtown Austin 6th street for years but money problems shut them down in 2011.
It was a Katz's Deli but not affiliated with the New York one.
The guys name was Marc Katz.
Worth

Danny
Reactions:

Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:15 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:00 am
Home grown Irish Cobblers?

I grew them once, as they surprisingly arrived as a replacement for a potato variety that the company ran out of. Irish Cobbler made the best mashed potatoes that I ever had in my life.
No, not home grown this year as yet. I somehow goofed and ordered too many for the space for them, so going to eat a pound or two. The rest will be grown out. They are very good potatoes, especially for a mash or bubble and squeak.

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:46 pm

I went out to check my brisket I put in the corning solution way back when.
Not knowing what to expect it is doing just fine as I had hoped it to be.
Not a rotten mass of meat and it smells great.
Ready for Saint Patrick's day for sure.
Worth

brownrexx
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:26 pm

I bought two flat cut roasts at Giant with a coupon for $2.67 / lb. One is in the freezer and I will cook the other one in the crock pot next week. I need to pick up a Guiness to add to the pot.

We like Rachel sandwiches which use cole slaw in place of sauerkraut.

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:07 pm

brownrexx wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:26 pm I bought two flat cut roasts at Giant with a coupon for $2.67 / lb. One is in the freezer and I will cook the other one in the crock pot next week. I need to pick up a Guiness to add to the pot.

We like Rachel sandwiches which use cole slaw in place of sauerkraut.
I soak, agitate, rinse and strain, two to three times with the sauerkraut.

By the time I'm done with it, I think it wants to swear at me in German. :roll:

greenthumbomaha
Reactions:

Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:43 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:03 pm The best Reuben that I ever had was at a Jewish deli in NYC. Piled high, I don't remember the deli, just the sandwich. That was about 50 years ago.

The worst Reuben that I ever had, about a decade ago, was at a local festival with only a few selected vendors, who cornered all of the food sales. It was made with plain roast beef, and not much of it. When asked about it, the owner of the vending business didn't care, he just shrugged his shoulders.
A few Manhattan places that I remember eating corned beef in my childhood which was a few more years prior to your lunch:

someplace down in the Bowery that used to take the corned beefs out of a steaming barrel in back of the counter and slice generously for each sandwich always on seeded rye bread

Carnegie Deli - that was a FAT sandwich, too expensive for my family, but went in high school with a friend

a big cafeteria a few blocks west of 42nd and Broadway (doesn't match the Jewish deli description), had FREE seltzer next to the water - ate there regularly but I remember eating there after the Beatles were in the area

maybe you were at a bagel place on 3rd Ave near Bloomingdales? or 2nd Ave deli which meets the Jewish food description ?

all the above were very generous with portions!

- Lisa

Return to “What's Cooking.”