Old Notifications

brownrexx
Reactions:

Old Notifications

Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:21 am

Is there a way to delete the old notifications? I click on "mark all notifications read" but they still show up. This makes it confusing when I see that I have new notifications because there is a big list of them instead of just the new ones.

I also routinely check the forum statistics to see how many members there are and quite often it says that [mention]pondgardener[/mention] is the newest member and I know that can't be right. Is there a problem there?

Lastly on most forums that I visit when tagging someone, I use the @ symbol but it does not show up in the posting. Just the name shows up. Is there a way to not show the @ symbol with the highlighted name?

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Re: Old Notifications

Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:47 am

brownrexx,

I tried to play around with removing the old notifications and had the same luck as you. So I can't really be of any help on that topic.

Regarding the newest member @pondgardener, that is also me with just a letter added. That was my original user name, but in the transition, I had problems logging in and I asked the administrator to delete that account, as I had registered again as @pondgardner as a workaround. But as the site became more stable in operation, I registered as @pondgardener to avoid someone else using that name in the future and causing an identity issue. I am sure the moderators on the forum will keep an eye on minimizing that situation from occurring. Good catch!
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:53 am

I can't find a way to remove them either. Help!

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:10 am

It works for me using Chrome. Maybe try deleting the board cookies, it's at the bottom of the page in the banner.
Zone: 9A
Climate: Hot and Humid
Avg annual rainfall: 60.48"

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Well, I deleted the cookies. But I still don't see any "Delete Notifications" function anywhere, only "Mark As Unread", which just clears the count of unread ones. It doesn't delete them.

Back to the drawing board! :D

worth1
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm

You dont want to delete them just let them ride.
Deleting them will be detrimental to your popularity. 8-)
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:55 pm

No you can not delete the old notifications. However, you can tell which ones are the ones that you have not read if you place your mouse over them. Those that are unread will have a check mark appear and you scroll over them and they are also highlighted in lavender. :)

I hope that helps you navigate the forum a little easier.
~ Patti ~

brownrexx
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:57 pm

Yes, I got used to them being there and it doesn't bother me anymore. Thanks.

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 pm

I reset the notifications to get deleted automatically after 2 days. Maybe it should be set longer for people who don't check in daily, if they check once a week then they'll miss 5 days of notifications.

I can't set it to let a users delete them so this is what we have. It was set to 30 days by default so the 2 days should cut down on the number you have and it might make the site run a little faster not keeping all that information.

Thoughts?

Edited: To add= I researched more and will set it to one day. That means it will be deleted automatically one after you read the notification or click mark all read.

SusieQ
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Wait, I'm confused. Does that mean if we don't come here every day we won't be seeing new notifications?

Rajun Gardener
Reactions:

Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:14 pm

SusieQ wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:08 pm Wait, I'm confused. Does that mean if we don't come here every day we won't be seeing new notifications?

No, it means the old ones that you checked will only last 1 day in your list, all new notifications will be there till you check them or mark all read.

Return to “Suggestions/Complaints/Report Problems”