Window air conditioners

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Window air conditioners

Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:55 pm

A lot of people in north america are sweltering right now. My window unit almost entirely quit on me yesterday, but it is working again. I seem to have nursed it back to health.

If your window unit is not functioning as well as it should, it is probably dirty. Cleaning the filter is the first step. The cheap plastic filters are not all that great and let a lot of dirt through. I have found that hydrogen peroxide and an old toothbrush will get a lot done cleaning the fins under the filter. They are very delicate, be careful not to mash them. The peroxide seems to eat away the dirt that accumulates around the fins. Carefully brushing and cleaning the front of my ac is the reason I have a cool house today.

Rockandrollin
Reactions:

Re: Window air conditioners

Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm

Another tip is to remove the wall A/C and take it outside and wash the outdoor coils until the water comes out clear, while keeping the water away from anything electrical on the A/C. The outdoor coil has no filter and a lot of dirt and blossoms can get stuck in there and prevents the heat transfer. Kinda like covering up your car radiator on a hot day.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:07 am

I take the window AC units outside every other year and wash the coils. Amazing how much dust and stuff collects. In our 1874 built home the central air works on the main floor but needs help for the three bedrooms upstairs, thus the three window units. They are all going on 16 years of use and the cleaning I think helps make them last longer.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Folks your air conditioning is the same process as your refrigerator and freezer.
They need periodic cleaning too.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Basic Electricity”