Floods in Germany

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
worth1
Reactions:

Re: Floods in Germany

Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:27 pm

I heard someone say on NPR that it was the worst flood in 6 decades.
So this has happened before?
I remember everyone talking about the great flood in Lampasas Texas back in I think 1957.
The year before I was born and I was born in Lampasas.
Whiped out all of downtown
This from a quiet little stream called Sulfur Creek.
Thankfully my family's house was on a hill looking over the town.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:13 pm

I have been following this story and am so sorry to see it happen in your beautiful country, especially all the lives lost but I'm so happy to hear you are OK. I have some distant elderly relatives in Cologne and have sent an e-mail to my cousin who keeps in touch with them to see how they are doing. I am waiting for a reply.

I was in Germany for three years with our Army and yes, have been to Berchtesgaden several times and although I never went to the bobsled-toboggan run, I've watched a lot of competition on tv from there. Germany has championship sledders. It's a shame the run was destroyed.

In the Eifel area it's my guess that flooded mine tunnels that perhaps run under housing areas are collapsing and forming sinkholes. That's so dangerous and I don't doubt much of that area will be put off limits, perhaps permanently.

The man who cleared the debris blocking the outflow is one of those rare individuals who is a true hero, doing what he knows has rto be done regardless of the outcome. I hope he is remembered well as having saved so much from destruction.

Growing Coastal
Reactions:

Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:19 pm

The man who cleared the debris blocking the outflow is one of those rare individuals who is a true hero, doing what he knows has rto be done regardless of the outcome. I hope he is remembered well as having saved so much from destruction.
This sort of man deserves a statue to commemorate his actions. Likely not something he wants or needs but it would stand as a reminder to us all.

Return to “General Discussion”