grinding dehydrated peppers

Discussion and tips for growing all types of peppers
habitat-gardener
Reactions:

grinding dehydrated peppers

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:59 am

What do you use to grind your dehydrated peppers? I have a coffee grinder I got free locally, and it takes a few tries to get powder with a bunch of unground pieces. I guess that's ok...but wondering if anyone has found something better. I did discover that breaking the dried peppers into smaller pieces before grinding, so that the area around the blades is packed more solidly, is helpful.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Re: grinding dehydrated peppers

Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:52 pm

Small food processor and my blender have both worked for me.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Since I started dealing with dried chilies differently I don't often make the powder anymore.
What I used to do was chop them up put in food processor and then the blender.
Then off to the burr mill coffee grinder that I modified and run them through it.
By modified I mean I took it apart and put shims in it to make the milling burrs as close as possible without them touching on the finest setting.
Took some fancy measurements to do this but it makes a pretty good powder by sifting and running through again.
Even the folks that make this stuff will sift and re grind the product.
It's a lot of work.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:40 pm

This year I started grinding habaneros and cayennes. I first used a regular coffee grinder to break them up, then transfer to a burr grinder to break up the seeds and get a fine powder. Yes, it's a lot of work but well worth it, depending on how you plan to use the finished product.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:01 pm

I always use my spice grinder for grinding dried peppers, and never have any problems with seeds or skins, as long as they are totally dry. And here's something that I always do - I grind them outside, on my back deck, and try to make sure it is on a day with some breeze, so I can make sure I arrange it so the dust blows away from me!

I don't grind too much at a time, especially the habs. The Thai peppers I grind the most of, as my cayenne powder.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

bjbebs
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:18 am

For powder they need to be very dry. Into the small cuisinart and then the spice grinder. If making mash then just the cuisinart. The large cuisinart hardly gets used as the little chopper does such a good job. Can't stand plastic gloves and have paid the price many times but I do wear a mask. Probably the only person who had masks laying around before the virus. When working over the sink anything that goes down seems to react with water and wants to blow up in your face. I call this hot pepper gas.

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:14 am

I just use my blender, and it grinds up without too much work. Tapping the pulse button every second or two is very helpful where just running the blender doesn't work. A higher speed isn't always better, either (initially).
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

rdback
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:41 am

Years ago a grinder came out called Magic Bullet. They were hawking them on TV for $119.99, plus a bonus unit FREE! Woohoo. Anyway, people were buying it, them selling the second one at some reduced price. Eventually there were so many out there, people just started giving them away or donating them.

Short story long, I use one of these. Completely pulverizes dried peppers, in short order. I go straight from the Bullet into a fine mesh strainer. Anything too big gets dumped back into the Bullet....and repeat. It's also the only thing I use the Bullet for, so I don't have to worry about making habanero coffee or some such.

Lastly, Walmart was running a special on the basic setup (which is all you need) for $15, delivered to your home. Might be worth checking out.

FarmerShawn
Reactions:

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:57 pm

I have an antique hand operated corn grinder that produces the best result, but it's slow. This year I had a lot, so I used my Ninja blender first, then sifted and put what still needed grinding into my coffee burr grinder. That's much faster, but also makes more real fine powder.

Danny
Reactions:

Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:22 pm

We mostly use a mortar and pestle. Grind it as fine as needed each time.

zeedman
Reactions:

Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:09 pm

Like several others, I use a blender to make pepper powder. If I don't want seeds as part of the powder, I grind lightly, strain out the seeds, and continue grinding. If grinding hot peppers, I either do so outdoors, or in front of the range exhaust fan.
"But though an old man, I am but a young gardener.“ - Thomas Jefferson

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:46 pm

Since I get my dried peppes I have to let them get really crispy and dry before I grind them.
The air-conditioned house does this for me at no extra charge.
As of late I just take out what I need and grind them up in my blade type coffee grinder.

But mostly I rehydrate them in warm water to get what need.
This is the traditional way and in my opinion a very good option for traditional cooking of said peppers.
It's more time and work but well worth it.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 am

512E9FC1-33FE-48EF-8A65-EBA163DB7E6C.jpeg
CAAFC53F-2A9C-4053-A8FA-E9B4CE46ECCE.jpeg
Trying out this Adhoc Pepe chili pepper mill. Cannot be in a hurry with this and it’s a good forearm workout. Produces a fine flake, not quite powder and much smaller than ordinary pepper flakes.

I dried these peppers mostly on the copper surface. It gets over 145° on the sunniest and hottest of days. The peppers also spent a short stint in the BGE, but that was around 130-150° over a minuscule amount of post oak smoke.

Corbaci peppers produce a tasty sweet paprika. I removed 98% of the seeds, but maybe a few got in the mix.

I’m going to keep drying these various peppers for powder, flake and leaving them whole. There’s a surprising amount of flavor in the ground up Corbaci and I’m going to see what other varieties bring to the table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

mama_lor
Reactions:

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:51 am

It's very important indeed to do a final dehydration right before grinding. Even so, if the peppers are particularly sweet and a bit more thick walled (like the elephant ear type vs the small chillis), that sugar content will retain some water and give a more chunky grind no matter what you do.
I use a Kitchen aid blender (5KSB555). I used to use the coffee grinder also, worked great, but it's kinda small and also fried my grinder after a few uses.

karstopography
Reactions:

Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:57 pm

0B2CEE10-4E44-418C-9711-7508FBF420EB.jpeg
Ground a mix of sun dried pepperocini, Shishito, and corbaci peppers today. Really pleased how this tastes. Removed a high percentage of the seeds, but a few got into the mix.

Taste is sweet, there’s a tiny capsaicin heat, very faintly there, but just overall delicious pepper taste. Put it into the blender so it is anywhere from a fine powder to a fine flake.

Haven’t done the cayenne yet, that’s another day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:01 pm

7A5691EF-A984-4142-903B-09AC80646B82.jpeg
So, I bought this grinder off Jeff Bezos. I ground the previously blender ground stash much finer.
Wow! What flavor the finer grind brought out! Who knew homemade paprika was so darn good!

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:12 am

People would be amazed as to where some of our products come from.
We normally think of the big potato plants in the north west that make things like McDonald's French fries and potato chips.
On the other hand much of this stuff comes from places like India and so on.
There is a lot of hand work going on.
I saw one video while researching paprika powder that was interesting.
They were running the chilies through a grinder and then sifting the powder.
Back and forth they would go until it was all a fine powder.
Looked like all these people were running around barefoot.
Worth

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:06 am

C3FCFAE0-29BC-44B0-9A6A-3C0C3CA655D6.jpeg
My collection of ground pepper. Three batches of mild paprika are a mix of pepperocini, Corbaci and Shishito and different levels of grind.
Then the three hot peppers, Cayenne, Poblano (Ancho) and Cristal. The Cristal is hotter than the Cayenne. I store these in the freeze inside another freezer bag.

My goal is to greatly increase the output next season. I still could get some more this season if the weather improves. I still have a lot of green poblanos out on the plants, along with some other types. I’d love to get more Ancho powder. I have more whole dried cayenne stockpiled. don’t want any dehydrated in a dehydrator peppers, they have to be dried on the copper in the sun or in the BGE over a wood or charcoal smoke.

We took out three trees last weekend and that way increases the light hitting the copper sheet in the afternoon. Now, that table will get full sun from 9 or 10 am until almost sundown. That should help, before the shade hit about 2 pm and I had to be home to mve the table into the patches of full sun, but even then by 4 or 5, it was shade. The sporadic to constant rain and humidity has been too much for sun drying lately. I’m going to get more proficient controlling the temperature of the BGE. I can dial in any temperature from 200-700°, but getting below 160° and maintaining it is really tricky.

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:21 am

What you need is a room dehumidifier.
Most of my peppers dry in the kitchen whether I like it or not.
The color is astounding.
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:39 am

You might also consider preserving some of those dried peppers in bourbon whisky and olive oil to make a somewhat like piri piri sauce.
My suggestion would be Evan Williams because I consider Jack Daniel's to be over priced garbage.
This is a Portuguese thing.
Worth

Return to “The Pepper Patch”