2022/2023 variety questions and maybe answers

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

MissS
Reactions:

Re: 2022 variety questions and maybe answers

Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:23 am

Cosmic Jewel is a Centriflor which has elongated black antho fruits. The fruits are considered to be a grape type.
~ Patti ~

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:08 am

MissS wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:23 am Cosmic Jewel is a Centriflor which has elongated black antho fruits. The fruits are considered to be a grape type.
And for some weird reason it's actually Cosmic Jewell.

Lemonboy
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:16 am

BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 am Galaktika, RL, det, roma shape, quite prolific, later ripening. Was very dense and made thick sauce. I want to freeze more juice so I won't grow this again. Will try juicier tomatoes.
I read that this is a a variety was was developed for direct sowing. I have seed, but haven't tried it yet.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:59 pm

BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 am I grew Elbonian Mudslinger last year. Was large, RL, Ind, had some catfacing, not real prolific but was very good. Will be putting in several this year.
Galaktika, RL, det, roma shape, quite prolific, later ripening. Was very dense and made thick sauce. I want to freeze more juice so I won't grow this again. Will try juicier tomatoes.
Thank you!
Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:05 am
There is no "true" Elbonian Mudslinger, at this time.

Your seed was likely about F2 or F3, very unstable. There is a thread somewhere, here at the Junction, about Wild Thyme, Elgin Pink, Elbonian Mudslinger, etc...which I'll have to find. The original Elbonian Mudslinger, a working name, is for a PL black beefsteak. People are getting both PL and RL plants from seed, much like with Wild Thyme and Elgin Pink. They are also getting black or pink fruit. I recommend growing out all plants and saving seed, no matter the leaf type or fruit color. There have been some spectacular varieties that originated with Wild Thyme.
Thank you. Very helpful. I will certainly be interested in growing out all those F2/F3 seeds!
MissS wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:14 am German Johnson Benton Strain like the original is an RL plant. They are both productive and have great flavor. It is just a strain that is said to be better.
Thanks!
MissS wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:23 am Cosmic Jewel is a Centriflor which has elongated black antho fruits. The fruits are considered to be a grape type.
Lemonboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:08 am And for some weird reason it's actually Cosmic Jewell.
Thank you. That correction also let me at least bring up some additional information and a picture.
BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:26 am Galaktika, RL, det, roma shape, quite prolific, later ripening. Was very dense and made thick sauce. I want to freeze more juice so I won't grow this again. Will try juicier tomatoes.
Lemonboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:16 am
I read that this is a a variety was was developed for direct sowing. I have seed, but haven't tried it yet.
I found some Russian ( ?) website that listed it, and I believe it mentioned something to that effect. I just wasn't sure if was the actual tomato or just a coincidence due to translation errors.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:20 pm

Galaktika is one of 4 tomatoes from Ukraine seed that was offered by OhioGardener. This is the description: Early ripe hybrid, fruit ripening occurs 105-110 days after full germination, for cultivation in open ground and under film shelters. The plant is determinate with short internodes. The fruits are round, slightly ribbed, the color of the mature fruit is raspberry, the flesh is pink. Fruit weight 130-140 g. Excellent taste. Commercial yield 11.4 kg/sq.m. The hybrid is resistant to TMV, Fusarium, Cladosporiosis.
My plant just getting ripe and it is on it's side--darn
DSCN2367.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:)

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Re: 2021 variety questions and maybe answers

Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:33 pm

HL2601 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 pm Have to be honest here folks, Prue tasted like old smelly deplorable socks to me A very singular tomato that lives on in a bad way for my taste buds...After hundreds of tomatoes in my gardens, in all honesty Prue was highly anticipated and my least favorite of any tomato I ever tasted.

Maybe its my own personal Purple Calabash equivalent,,,not sure, however Prue was both stingy in production plus skanky to me!

It takes many people's opinions to make the world go round, right?

Just my 2 cents.
I grew prue 10 yrs ago, and I thought the flavor nothing notable. BUT... the last few years I started a program of ferts -tomato tone- every 2 weeks and oh what a difference it made. It maybe that a long dtm variety never has a chance for flavor if your main application is at plant out. Last year my cowlicks had outstanding flavor in late sept, where in past seasons with no regular application, the later ones suffered on taste. It's why I am so anxious to retry so many I wrote off in the last decade.My cukes last year, same story. Normally i pick for 2-3 weeks and plants are done. Last year I was picking cukes in late sept. Don't know why it took me so long to figure out regular ferts are the key. Never really heard it discussed much in all my readings.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:24 pm

BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:20 pm Galaktika is one of 4 tomatoes from Ukraine seed that was offered by OhioGardener. This is the description: Early ripe hybrid, fruit ripening occurs 105-110 days after full germination, for cultivation in open ground and under film shelters. The plant is determinate with short internodes. The fruits are round, slightly ribbed, the color of the mature fruit is raspberry, the flesh is pink. Fruit weight 130-140 g. Excellent taste. Commercial yield 11.4 kg/sq.m. The hybrid is resistant to TMV, Fusarium, Cladosporiosis.
DSCN2367.JPG
You a rock/wall climber?

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:33 pm
HL2601 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:19 pm Have to be honest here folks, Prue tasted like old smelly deplorable socks to me A very singular tomato that lives on in a bad way for my taste buds...After hundreds of tomatoes in my gardens, in all honesty Prue was highly anticipated and my least favorite of any tomato I ever tasted.

Maybe its my own personal Purple Calabash equivalent,,,not sure, however Prue was both stingy in production plus skanky to me!

Just my 2 cents.
I grew prue 10 yrs ago, and I thought the flavor nothing notable. BUT... the last few years I started a program of ferts -tomato tone- every 2 weeks and oh what a difference it made. It maybe that a long dtm variety never has a chance for flavor if your main application is at plant out. Last year my cowlicks had outstanding flavor in late sept, where in past seasons with no regular application, the later ones suffered on taste. It's why I am so anxious to retry so many I wrote off in the last decade.My cukes last year, same story. Normally i pick for 2-3 weeks and plants are done. Last year I was picking cukes in late sept. Don't know why it took me so long to figure out regular ferts are the key. Never really heard it discussed much in all my readings.
Regular fert application is interesting. I haven't done it since going from about 75 plants to 175 plants a year. I do remember some tomatoes tasting good very late in the season many years go, but not recently. Back then I gave them a boost. Most very late tomatoes in my garden, will generally be smaller, will have very thin walls, and will be skunky.

I think I'll have to trial a side-by-side of two plants of a few varieties, the difference being regular fert vs just early fert, to taste what happens.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:20 pm

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:55 pm Looking for any information on the following tomato varieties. I generally like to record - fruit color, fruit type, fruit size, days to maturity, leaf type, plant growth habit and country of origin. Any of that information would be helpful.

Babynka [could not find any info]
Boggs Yellow [could not find any info - safe to assume it is yellow]
Bula Kowski [could not find any info]
Cosmic Jewel [could not find any info]
Elbonian Mudslinger [I only know it is a dark tomato that originated with Tormato?]
Galaktika [could not find any info]
German Johnson, Benton strain [similar to German Johnson, but not sure how it differs. PL?]
Jesse Saylor [could not find any info]
Karla's Atrisco [I only know it is a small pink slicer, indeterminate]
Primorski Pacug [red slicer from Slovenia]
Shokoladnaya Sosulka [brown regular leaf paste from Ukraine]

I am sure I will have several more to add as I go through the dragon's hoard I was sent by Tormato.
Here are my notes on a few you asked about. (Not that it matters to anyone else but the 20/23 MMMM means that the seeds were harvested in 2020 and I received them in 2023.):

German Johnson Benton Strain (20/23 MMMM) = 75-80 d. Big. Pink. Beefsteak. Old-fashioned tomato taste. Very sweet. Meaty. RL. Indet.

Jesse Saylor (22/23 MMMM) = __ d. __ oz. Huge. Pink. Heirloom (Family heirloom from Kentucky. Named after the seed saver.) (mamadisalvo shared in 2021. Possibly from Gabby1 in 2022 according to Tormato.)

Shokoladnaya Sosulka (Chocolate Icicle) (21/23 MMMM-Nan6B-bagged) = Mid. 4-6 oz. Black (deep purple/brown). Paste. Long fruits. Sweet. Complex. Earthy. Firm texture. High yield. Ripens well off of the vine. Keeps well. Wispy. RL. Indet. Heirloom (Ukraine).
Last edited by WoodSprite on Fri May 03, 2024 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

WoodSprite
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:37 pm

Also, if you do a keyword search for "Benton" at TV you may find answers to your question about it. I think I read it was grown in isolation for years (decades?) and has better flavor according to the person who grew it and German Johnson from a different source in later years. I think I'm remembering that correctly but not 100% positive.
~ Darlene ~
My garden is made of multiple 6' diameter x 24" tall round stock tanks, located in a small clearing on our wooded property in the center of Pennsylvania. Hardiness zone 6b (updated). Heat zone 4.

TheMad_Poet
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:10 pm

Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 pm

Just my 2 cents.
Regular fert application is interesting. I haven't done it since going from about 75 plants to 175 plants a year. I do remember some tomatoes tasting good very late in the season many years go, but not recently. Back then I gave them a boost. Most very late tomatoes in my garden, will generally be smaller, will have very thin walls, and will be skunky.

I think I'll have to trial a side-by-side of two plants of a few varieties, the difference being regular fert vs just early fert, to taste what happens.
It was truly amazing, and a real eyeopener. I need to do a trial using less expensive ferts, or a mixture of cheap and TT. On the cukes I used jobes organic. But same 2 week cycle. had 11 plants, that produced around 1200 cukes. Normally i would have got 300? or so. I put the cukes on market place for $3 a dozen and paid for all the fertilizer. $3 was cheap and I couldnt keep em in stock. Gonna do it again this year to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I live next to a big farm w/cattle and the lady there gets plants from me. They keep the garden full of composted manure and her tomatoes ALWAYS taste better than mine, that gave me the idea for TT, and the bag says every 2 weeks. So irritated that I didnt realize this 10 years ago. Amazon has the big bags of TT, used 2 for the season on 40 plants? Don't do a side by side, T.roots can spread 6-7 feet easy.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:30 pm

[/quote]
BettyC-5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:20 pm Galaktika is one of 4 tomatoes from Ukraine seed that was offered by OhioGardener. This is the description: Early ripe hybrid, fruit ripening occurs 105-110 days after full germination, for cultivation in open ground and under film shelters. The plant is determinate with short internodes. The fruits are round, slightly ribbed, the color of the mature fruit is raspberry, the flesh is pink. Fruit weight 130-140 g. Excellent taste. Commercial yield 11.4 kg/sq.m. The hybrid is resistant to TMV, Fusarium, Cladosporiosis.
DSCN2367.JPG
Thank you. So, are the seeds an F1 hybrid? or are they saved from an F1 hybrid? or am I reading that incorrectly?
WoodSprite wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:20 pm
Here are my notes on a few you asked about. (Not that it matters to anyone else but the 20/23 MMMM means that the seeds were harvested in 2020 and I received them in 2023.):

German Johnson Benton Strain (20/23 MMMM) = 75-80 d. Big. Pink. Beefsteak. Old-fashioned tomato taste. Very sweet. Meaty. RL. Indet.

Jesse Saylor (22/23 MMMM) = __ d. __ oz. Huge. Pink. Heirloom (Family heirloom from Kentucky. Named after the seed saver.) (mamadisalvo shared in 2021. Possibly from Gabby1/Karol Galbiati in 2022 according to Tormato.)

Shokoladnaya Sosulka (Chocolate Icicle) (21/23 MMMM-Nan6B-bagged) = Mid. 4-6 oz. Black (deep purple/brown). Paste. Long fruits. Sweet. Complex. Earthy. Firm texture. High yield. Ripens well off of the vine. Keeps well. Wispy. RL. Indet. Heirloom (Ukraine).
Thank you for the information! I did search through TV regarding German Johnson Benton Strain. Most of what I found was the history of it and not much more than it was supposed to taste better to some people. I wasn't sure if I should assume it had the same plant characteristics as the other GJ. I was a bit confused as to the leaf type as well, as it seems that even the 'regular" German Johnson has mixed RL/PL. Also, as a non-member of TV you can't really search it directly [as far as I could tell] nor can you view pictures etc. I have to use Google indirectly.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:46 pm

TheMad_Poet wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:10 pm
Tormato wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:37 pm

Just my 2 cents.

It was truly amazing, and a real eyeopener. I need to do a trial using less expensive ferts, or a mixture of cheap and TT. On the cukes I used jobes organic. But same 2 week cycle. had 11 plants, that produced around 1200 cukes. Normally i would have got 300? or so. I put the cukes on market place for $3 a dozen and paid for all the fertilizer. $3 was cheap and I couldnt keep em in stock. Gonna do it again this year to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I live next to a big farm w/cattle and the lady there gets plants from me. They keep the garden full of composted manure and her tomatoes ALWAYS taste better than mine, that gave me the idea for TT, and the bag says every 2 weeks. So irritated that I didnt realize this 10 years ago. Amazon has the big bags of TT, used 2 for the season on 40 plants? Don't do a side by side, T.roots can spread 6-7 feet easy.
I basically starve my tomato plants for water. When dug at the end of the season virtually every root ball will be no more than about 2 /2 feet in diameter, 'cept for that one freak of a plant many years ago that grew a tap root sideways and was over 12 feet long. I want the smallest root ball possible, while still having a plant with good production. A large wide root ball, when there are frequent heavy rains, soaks up too much water, leaving bland tasting tomatoes. Keeping the side-by-sides about 6 to 7 feet apart, and dishing the soil so that rain won't wash any fert to the next plant, should work.

Please start a thread on how you grow cukes, including the varieties. I usually get about a dozen per plant, sometimes much less. But, they are grown in a neighbor's yard having little organic matter in the soil. Slowly, I'm adding compost each year.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:11 pm

Lemonboy wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:08 am
And for some weird reason it's actually Cosmic Jewell.
Yeah, the two L's constantly throw me off with this variety. The seeds probably came from me and I thought I'd spelled it Jewell, but I might have reverted to Jewel. Here's where I got the original seed. https://wildmountainseeds.com/product/c ... entriflor/

It was a short, productive plant and I thought the flavor was really good. This year I'm trying it in baskets.

BettyC-5
Reactions:

Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:50 pm

Galaktika---I don't know if the seeds were F1, nothing on the envelope. But the seeds I sent in were from that one plant whatever it is. Might be considered stable by now.
:)

Gabby1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:03 am

Toomanymatoes wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:55 pm Looking for any information on the following tomato varieties. I generally like to record - fruit color, fruit type, fruit size, days to maturity, leaf type, plant growth habit and country of origin. Any of that information would be helpful.

Babynka [could not find any info]
Boggs Yellow [could not find any info - safe to assume it is yellow]
Bula Kowski [could not find any info]
Cosmic Jewel [could not find any info]
Elbonian Mudslinger [I only know it is a dark tomato that originated with Tormato?]
Galaktika [could not find any info]
German Johnson, Benton strain [similar to German Johnson, but not sure how it differs. PL?]
Jesse Saylor [could not find any info]
Karla's Atrisco [I only know it is a small pink slicer, indeterminate]
Primorski Pacug [red slicer from Slovenia]
Shokoladnaya Sosulka [brown regular leaf paste from Ukraine]

I am sure I will have several more to add as I go through the dragon's hoard I was sent by Tormato.
Boggs Yellow is a Heirloom from Carter Co. Kentucky. Grown by my dear friend for many years. She obtained seed from an elderly woman many years ago who grown it before her for a long time. Beautiful yellow slicer with some ribbing. Very nice balanced tomato with a sweet fruity undertone. This will be my 3rd year growing it. When dead ripe it looks almost orange.

Gabby1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:17 am

WoodSprite wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 pm Anyone know anything about 'Jesse Saylor' tomato? Baggie says it's a huge pink.

I'm getting nothing with Google or TV even with trying different spellings. At TJ I see mamadisalvo submitted it in 2021 MMMM. Are you still here, @mamadisalvo? I don't know who submitted it for 2022.
I received the Jesse Saylor in the MMMM swap last year. The bag said it was a Kentucky Heirloom which is my weakness. It was a regular leaf Ind. with beautiful pink slightly ribbed tomatoes. I would say it’s probably around 75-80 days. I will grow again this year as it was a beautiful, delicious tomato. Will try to post pictures tomorrow of this and Boggs Yellow, another beautiful Kentucky heirloom.

Gabby1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:51 am

WoodSprite wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:34 pm
Tormato wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:14 am
WoodSprite wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:55 pm Anyone know anything about 'Jesse Saylor' tomato? Baggie says it's a huge pink.

I'm getting nothing with Google or TV even with trying different spellings. At TJ I see mamadisalvo submitted it in 2021 MMMM. Are you still here, @mamadisalvo? I don't know who submitted it for 2022.
With my next dive into the Pink category bucket, I'll look for more info. (likely before the end of the day)
Thanks. It's one that is in a very thick, slightly larger than average baggie that's labeled in black Sharpie. Whoever packaged like that sent in a lot of varieties that I had never heard of before so it makes me wonder if it's popular outside of the U.S. and is new here.
[/quote
Hello! Not New just hit and miss because of family commitments. From SW Illinois! Yes sadly, I am old school with the sharpie.All varieties are Grown by me here. Most are Southern Heirlooms. Yes, Jesse Saylor is a beautiful pink tomato,RL,quite productive and delicious. I received seeds last year from the MMMM. Will grow again!
Very sorry so late to answer.

Tormato
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:12 am

For those who don't know, Garotte Bicolor Aracenes is confirmed to be a red.

Toomanymatoes
Reactions:

Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:34 pm

Ok, finally went through everything. Here are a few more I could not find some, or no, info on:

Korn Kornesev (from Denmark?)
Krazniy Kristall (Red Crystal, red paste from Ukraine)
Lindy's Little Krim (Black Krim variant?)
Ludmilla's Peach (orange paste)
Not Japanese Pink Cherry
Orangevyi Velikan (Orange Giant, orange slicer from Russia)
Parika (red paste)
Primorski Pacug (red slicer from Slovenia)
TAT
Tigerella Nero (black cocktail-sized)
Timpurii (determinate from Romania)
Unnamed Pink Cherry
Urolacium Kryp (Is this Violaceum Krypni Rozo?)
Vumicic
WV Yellow (Is this supposed to be West Virginia Yellow?)
Zaitska (red slicer from Russia)

Return to “MMMM Swap”