A chocolate bribe?

This is a yearly group seed swap event hosted by Tormato.

Moderator: Tormato

Tormato
Reactions:

Re: A chocolate bribe?

Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:45 pm

Docmom wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am I'm at a bored place, waiting for tomatoes to ripen and seeds to ferment, so was reading through old posts for entertainment. Folks are seemingly intent on the chocolate bribe idea (in whatever direction and to whomever seems appropriate). But, I read a post from Tormato that implies his favorite candy is black jelly beans. He indicated that he was good for the year, but I'm looking toward the future. As a black licorice fan myself, I have also explored/enjoyed the Scandinavian delicacy called salmiaki (in Finnish). I was introduced to it as an exchange student to Finland more years ago than I am willing to admit. So, I wondered if we could tempt Tormato with something a bit more exotic than chocolate. We can also include chocolate, of course.

Tomato,
Have you sampled the salty, very strong, anise/licorice flavored "candies" that are popular in Scandinavia? A good friend of mine actually steeped some of these delicacies in vodka for me. It was a going-away gift, and was absolutely delicious. These candies are very powerful in their level of flavor and especially salt. So, it may or not be something you would enjoy. But, if you have any interest, I will search online for a source that I could send you to try.

I will do some initial scoping now, to see what is available.

Martha
There are a few Finnish members, here. And, at least one has been in the swap. And, they know that I like licorice. So yes, I've tried Salmiakki, and love it. I was a little skeptical about a few of the flavors, like Tyrkish Peber (not very hot) and Terva Leijona (tar lion) being tar flavored. I liked them all.

The member who sent me the salmaikki warned me, in a PM a few months later, that someone died from eating too much black licorice. I already knew about it, because the person that died was from my state. For me, one to two black jelly beans a day, plus I eat foods high in potassium. I get a small bag of Brach's around Easter, and that's it for the year.

Docmom
Reactions:

Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:13 pm

I should’ve known you would be well versed in such a treat. Well, I’ll just have to keep you happy with multiple, timely, neatly packaged, and carefully labeled seed submissions.

Martha

Julianna
Reactions:

Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:39 pm

Tormato wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:45 pm
Docmom wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:55 am I'm at a bored place, waiting for tomatoes to ripen and seeds to ferment, so was reading through old posts for entertainment. Folks are seemingly intent on the chocolate bribe idea (in whatever direction and to whomever seems appropriate). But, I read a post from Tormato that implies his favorite candy is black jelly beans. He indicated that he was good for the year, but I'm looking toward the future. As a black licorice fan myself, I have also explored/enjoyed the Scandinavian delicacy called salmiaki (in Finnish). I was introduced to it as an exchange student to Finland more years ago than I am willing to admit. So, I wondered if we could tempt Tormato with something a bit more exotic than chocolate. We can also include chocolate, of course.

Tomato,
Have you sampled the salty, very strong, anise/licorice flavored "candies" that are popular in Scandinavia? A good friend of mine actually steeped some of these delicacies in vodka for me. It was a going-away gift, and was absolutely delicious. These candies are very powerful in their level of flavor and especially salt. So, it may or not be something you would enjoy. But, if you have any interest, I will search online for a source that I could send you to try.

I will do some initial scoping now, to see what is available.

Martha
There are a few Finnish members, here. And, at least one has been in the swap. And, they know that I like licorice. So yes, I've tried Salmiakki, and love it. I was a little skeptical about a few of the flavors, like Tyrkish Peber (not very hot) and Terva Leijona (tar lion) being tar flavored. I liked them all.

The member who sent me the salmaikki warned me, in a PM a few months later, that someone died from eating too much black licorice. I already knew about it, because the person that died was from my state. For me, one to two black jelly beans a day, plus I eat foods high in potassium. I get a small bag of Brach's around Easter, and that's it for the year.
I haven't done it for years, but i used to eat whole packages of black licorice, even as a kid.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

Return to “MMMM Swap”