What's up with these eggplant leaves?

zendog
Reactions:

What's up with these eggplant leaves?

Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 pm

I have some marks that showed up on my eggplant seedling leaves that I haven't had before. I did have them outside a few times on warm days so I'm worried it is might be some type of pest, maybe leaf miners although they aren't continuous trails. I'm hoping it is just some physiological thing from some type of stress. Certainly not like the flea beetle damage I usually see once they're in the garden. Any thoughts?
leaf.jpg
leafedge.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Re: What's up with these eggplant leaves?

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 pm

To me it looks like light flea beetle damage. I know you said you didn't think that, but if you only had them outside for short periods for a few days the damage can be minor and look very different than what happens with in-ground plants when they are subject to the buggers 24/7.

zendog
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:51 pm

jmsieglaff wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 pm To me it looks like light flea beetle damage. I know you said you didn't think that, but if you only had them outside for short periods for a few days the damage can be minor and look very different than what happens with in-ground plants when they are subject to the buggers 24/7.
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping you are right since that is the devil I know and I can feel okay sending them onto new homes in a couple weeks. Most of these get donated to a local PTA plant sale fundraiser and I didn't want to have them suffering from some insect or disease issue that might spread. When it comes to flea beetles though, everyone already has them around here within a day or two of planting any eggplants in the spring.

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:54 pm

And flea beetles are something I always have trouble with on eggplants! This is almost a month before mine go out, but as soon as they go out, I spray them with Surround, to cover tops and bottoms of the leaves, and try to keep them that way the rest of the year.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

jmsieglaff
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:08 pm

I don’t have a big problem with them, but every year I get mild to moderate flea beetle damage on my tomatillos. I don’t grow eggplant so can’t speak to those.

zendog
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:07 pm

Someone on another forum suggested it could be thrips, but I think the marks look too big for thrips. Anyone else think it could be thrips? I'm still thinking flea beetles, but open to other thoughts.

brownrexx
Reactions:

Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Flea beetle damage on my eggplants usually shows up as tiny round holes not white spots.

Return to “Seed Starting”