Your Favorite Pink Tomatoes?

Everything About Tomatoes
AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Your Favorite Pink Tomatoes?

Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:59 pm

What are your favorite PWR tomatoes? Any size works.
Texas Zone 8A

peebee
Reactions:

Re: Your Favorite Pink Tomatoes?

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:41 am

Pink tomatoes are my favorite. I like Momotaro but I'd love to hear what others like as I'm trying to find a different variety to try. I esp like hearts and any types with few seeds inside.
Zone 10, Southern California
Will eat anything once before I judge.
Anything meaning any foods of course.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 am

Omar’s Lebanese.

This year I’m trying Dester and Dr. Lyle to see how they stack up.

Also thought Anna Russian and 1884 were pretty darn good.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

wildcat62
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:11 am

Pinks are our favorites. German Queen has been consistently good in our garden. So many good ones though...

Nan6b
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:41 am

PlainJane wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:19 am Omar’s Lebanese...
I'm with you, PJ! Except mine is Dotson's Lebanese Heart, which is an offshoot of Omar's.

Gardadore
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 am

Hard decision having grown so many good ones over the years. Never really thought about the pinks vs reds but after checking my list see how many of my really good ones are indeed “pinks”. Love every one mentioned so far!
I planted Momotaro for years until I ran out of seeds. Somehow never got around to planting again after getting a new packet. Just too many varieties out there to try!
My two new favorites last summer were Dotson’s Lebanese Heart and Daniel’s. Will be part of my permanent annual plantings.
Ones I always plant are Olive Hill, Joe’s Pink Oxheart (very hard to find but Delectation of Tomatoes has them - now I save - this one is too good to lose in the marketplace!), and Stump of the World. Other favorites I grow off and on depending on space are Kosovo (heart), Dester, and Crnkovic Yugoslavian (will plant this last one in 2020 again).

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am

AMH2015.jpg
Here are a few samples of a tomato named Anna Margaret's Heart that I grew a few years ago from seeds my aunt brought back from Missouri. This was the only tomato she would grow, as her gardening space was very limited, and I started plants for her in her last few years. Few seeds, with some reaching 2 pounds or more. Most of the time a blunt heart, but depending on conditions, shape can be more heart shaped. After her death in 2011, I added her name to the tomato and have grown it every year since.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 am

Is there a seed source for Anna Margaret Heart?

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm

pondgardner wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am AMH2015.jpg
Here are a few samples of a tomato named Anna Margaret's Heart that I grew a few years ago from seeds my aunt brought back from Missouri. This was the only tomato she would grow, as her gardening space was very limited, and I started plants for her in her last few years. Few seeds, with some reaching 2 pounds or more. Most of the time a blunt heart, but depending on conditions, shape can be more heart shaped. After her death in 2011, I added her name to the tomato and have grown it every year since.
If I recall correctly this is one of the hearts that was favored by the late Carolyn Male.
~ Patti ~

pondgardener
Reactions:
Location: 30 miles southeast of the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Paulf wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 am Is there a seed source for Anna Margaret Heart?
[mention]Paulf[/mention]
A few years ago, I knew of a lady that included the tomato in her website called something like "Tomatoes with a Story" based in Michigan? I am growing out a number of plants this year from seeds I collected from the pictured tomatoes. If you would like a few seeds that are 5 years old or so, drop me a PM. Other wise I can get some seeds together next Summer/Fall for interested growers.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter, that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:15 pm

I'm truly sorry Salt, but I can't answer your question, as the internet doesn't have enough bandwidth. ;)

peebee
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm

I've grown most of the varieties above except for Lebanese & Anna Margaret hearts, will have to request those one day. I'm going to give Olive Hill & Anna Russian another chance this year. Sowing tomorrow!

Ginger2778
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:01 pm

Elgin Pink Pruden's Purple, Daniels, Wild Thyme Pink, African Queen, Polish, Pink Pioneer, Barlow Map, Grightmire's Pride, Curtis Cheek, Jewish, KARMA Pink, McKinley are just a few of my favorites.
Last edited by Ginger2778 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Marsha

Shule
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:50 pm

[mention]AlittleSalt[/mention]

There are a number of kinds of pink, but here are mine (so far) that come to mind:

* My tart Brandyboy cross in 2019.
* Ovita (super awesome unusual taste)
* Sheboygan (tastes similar to Polish Linguisa)
* Pink Cheeks (prolific, soft, and earlier than many similarly-sized varieties; excellent taste)
* Porter (you gave me seeds; they didn't taste great the first year or two, but with some acclimatization they seem to taste excellent and sweet; they produce well, too)
* Black Beauty (it's pink under the anthocyanin)
* Alpha Pink (excellent taste; not mild)
* Pruden's Purple (excellent on hamburgers; very early for the size)
* German Pink (great taste/texture; very meaty; late)
* Missouri Pink Love Apple
* Chapman
* Tidy Rose F1

Those aren't exactly ordered, but the first five are favorites of the favorites.

If I had a longer season, I would probably list Seek No Further Love Apple and Burgundy Traveler. Maybe Giant Belgium. They're all good tomatoes.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Gardadore
Reactions:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 pm

Forgot to include Pink Pioneer in my new favorite ones. That's a new annual one along with the Dotson and Daniel's. Thanks Marsha for reminding me. You, of course, introduced me to the other two. You have an interesting list Shule. Except for Chapman, Porter, Pruden's Purple and German Pink all are new names for me.
Anna Margaret's Heart looks awesome, peebee. I think if you ever have enough to trade or share there will be a huge line because of that fantastic photo! Assume it tastes as delicious as it looks!

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:07 am

Anna Margaret's Heart is Pondgardener's tomato. I'm not sure if it is supposed to be Aunt Margret's Tomato? I tried to turn off the bold, but it seems to add to it.
Texas Zone 8A

AlittleSalt
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:36 am

Anyway, about Margret's heart tomato - it produced in clusters for me. The taste is wonderful.

Porter adapting to different climates is no surprise to me. Actually, I have been hoping to hear from others on how they are doing in your neck of the woods.

A lot of favorites are posted above.

Japanese Pink Cherry is a favorite of ours. Dr. Carolyn Male gave me a lot of information about this tomato.
Texas Zone 8A

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:53 pm

Mortgage Lifter and Kosovo.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:02 pm

Brandywine Sudduth, Mortgage Lifter, but it has to be Ester's for me, and Stump of the World. I grow all three every year. The Brandywine, though, are not noted to be good in most Southern gardens. None of these are certainly new to you, though, Salt.

peebee
Reactions:

Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:28 pm

MissS wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:26 pm
pondgardner wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 am AMH2015.jpg
If I recall correctly this is one of the hearts that was favored by the late Carolyn Male.
Ummm, I may be wrong but I believe Caroyln sent out seeds for Anna Maria's Heart in one of her yearly offerings, not Anna Margaret.

Return to “Tomato Talk”