Container moving tools

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Container moving tools

Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:44 pm

I saved some of the wood from my old garden bench we replaced and we have used a lot of that wood building other things like the new garden bench and using some of the wood for the new legs on the bench hubby cut in half for the garden shed. There are still a few pieces of 2x2's left and when we were planning out where to put the trellises I realized I would be moving a lot of containers to place them near those trellises. So, I tied rope to two of those boards and it works really well moving containers, lol. I wrap the rope around the container(container must have a lip) and I pull on the boards while holding the wrapped rope on the board and I can move the smaller containers, like the short mineral buckets and my earthboxes. I cannot pull and move the big mineral buckets though. Most everything will stay in place and just be crop rotation around the garden. I sure enjoyed having this tool to move as much as I could though. Hubby moved the big containers into place for me.
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Container moving tools

Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:44 pm

A hand truck is my lifesaver for jockeying around filled 15 gallon containers. It's a good thing I don't have to move anything bigger!

Rockporter
Reactions:
Location: South Texas Coastal Bend Zone 9a with high winds and heat and humidity to boot!

Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:44 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:44 pm A hand truck is my lifesaver for jockeying around filled 15 gallon containers. It's a good thing I don't have to move anything bigger!
We have one of those, but you have to lift the edge of the container onto the hand truck, I can't do that, lol.
In the spring at the end of the day you should smell like dirt.
~Margaret Atwood~

Still my favorite quote! :lol: :P :D :)

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:32 pm

I have two hand trucks, which I use for moving a lot of those Earthboxes and other container gardening, plus bales of peat, and the like. One of them is smaller, but has a larger lip, so I can move those larger plants, that I bring in for the winter.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:48 am

Don’t know if any old tarp couldn’t work for moving a container if you can work the container over the tarp or the tarp under the container. If you can, then the tarp can be drug with the container on it so long as the ground isn’t too rough. A dolly works wonders too if the dolly cart lip at the bottom extends out enough. I moved my giant 7’ lemongrass plant in its massive ceramic container into the garage during our December arctic air blast. Slide the lip under the container, tilt back and off you go. A bungee cord can help secure the container from sliding off over perhaps rough or not level terrain. My lemongrass, the ceramic container and the soil combined weigh well over 100 pounds.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:52 pm

Sometimes the roots grow out of or into the container.
A real pain in the butt if it's a big one.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Kurt
Reactions:

Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:29 am

Before concrete pumps only went maybe a couple of decks/floors we had to resolve to cranes ,manpower to pour slabs with the “Georgia Buggy”.It got filled at 1/4 yard of Crete,you kinda jogged with it over the tied steel rebar,mesh and dumped the load.Now I use this one for all my heavy soil bags,it moves containers for me etc.Before the company name paper that was glued on the side it did say 1947.The wheels still inflate after injections of foam since the original tubes are mush by now.
649322AC-8271-4786-84EC-6852C906719D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Garden Tools and Equipment.”