Big Red Machine

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
bjbebs
Reactions:

Big Red Machine

Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:58 pm

Not talking baseball here but big red tomatoes. I've been out of the loop this summer and ready to jump back in.
This years garden went in with ample moisture but went dry in May and June. No rain in 8 weeks. Not sure if I'd classify it as a severe drought but NOAA says it was. Cool weather crops provided 4 solid weeks of picking until mid May. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, melons, beans etc jumped out of the box due to warm temps. Then the hot- dry kicked in. I would be leaving for several weeks in late May to work on a property up in N. Wisconsin so I had to plan accordingly. All large containers, tanks, beds and in ground plants got a thick layer of rabbit poop and bedding. This was all the food they would get this summer.
Many large fruited tomatoes went into containers, all being at least 25 gallon. Neighbors and friends would water and pick thru the summer. I asked all to concentrate on the containers rather than in ground plants.
Harvest reports started coming in July 1 and it was on. Growing degree days accelerated all crops. All those picking and watering were amazed at the bounty. Disease was non-existent due to the drought.
Heard on July 10 that Mr. Groundhog was doing considerable damage so came home on the 15th.
Here is what was seen. In ground plants suffered from lack of water and some early deer damage on the peppers. Plants were stunted and fruit was smaller and less productive. Containers and tank plants faired much better due to more care. All in all still a good gardening year.
Now back to the topic. Pictured are 3 varieties, Salobre, Danko and Zamorano. Salobre and Zamorano produced like always but 10 days earlier than normal. 2nd year growing Danko and they are honkers. Pictures on Aug. 2 after two solid weeks of picking. Third picture shows 12 fruit weighing 17 lbs. It doesn't take many of these to make a big pot of sauce. 4th picture shows a Copper River. Always the sweetest tomato in the garden but this year its got it all. So far, it beats out Stump, Earl's Faux and all the darks and reds.
To conclude, it just shows that good soils can power thru during adverse growing conditions but the key was having dependable help. Go Yankees.
20230802_074111.jpg
20230802_074241.jpg
20230802_074437.jpg
20230802_080036.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bower
Reactions:

Re: Big Red Machine

Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:18 pm

Glad to see you rolling in the favorite fruit! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Return to “General Discussion”