Farming clothes comparison

Julianna
Reactions:

Farming clothes comparison

Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:19 pm

Hi all! I couldnt figure out a great and obvious fit ( :lol: ) for this topic, but thos could count as equipment. Has anyone compared Carhartt (or similar like Driduck) with something like Hoggs of Fife for boots, work pants, etc? Some things are just different, but i am.curious on general wearablity and strength.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay
Lover of Fogust, tomatoes, flowers, and pumpkins

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Farming clothes comparison

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:03 am

Carhartt and the like are way too warm for spring and summers here. I finally found at Walmart some men's camo shorts with tougher than normal fabric and DEEP pockets, unlike women's shorts with wimpy little pockets and thin fabric. For me, garden use utility rides way above any sense of fashion! And they were on end of season sale last year. Similarly I found there some long camo pants for fall/winter use that had side cargo pockets to boot, also on sale at the end of last winter. The cargo pockets turned out to be handy for that handful of beans or several cucumbers. LOL!

PlainJane
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:31 am

Am still just using jeans once they get too beat up for ‘regular’ wear. And being concerned about too much sun exposure in my N. Florida conditions I almost always wear jeans and an old long sleeve t-shirt when working outside. I hate hats while I’m working so that’s one point of vulnerability.
I had a pair of gardening clogs from the old Smith and Hawkin that lasted over 20 years. When I finally had to replace them I went with BOGS and so far very good.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Paulf
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:35 pm

From May to October I wear shorts and old t-shirts for outside work. For more formal wear it is shorts and nicer shirts, all short sleeved. I have two pairs of running shoes, one older pair for gardening and mowing, one newer for going places. There is also a slip-on Dudes for fancy dress when some newer shorts and shirts are called for.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:03 pm

I saw a review on the Carhartt boots and it wasn't good.
They like other companies like CAT and Harley Davidson job out some cheap Chinese boot making companies to make a boot with their name on it.
Buy what the people are known for not stuff they aren't known for.
CAT makes a good bulldozer they don't make boots and Harley Davidson doesn't make clothing.
Just an honest opinion from personal research and reviews.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Paulf
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:16 pm

During my last 20 years of working life I worked where we had to wear boots. My company, Cargill, supplied us with boots as long as they were on the approved list. The only company with made entirely in the USA was Red Wing out of Minnesota. To begin with we were given a pair of boots every year. Red Wings lasted so well that where I worked I received about three pairs that I have never worn. The policy was changed so that you could get a new pair whenever your old pair was worn out. Workers in areas where boots were subjected to adverse conditions got new boots more often...office workers never needed new pairs. The company got smarter.

I retired 18 years ago and am still wearing the boots I wore my last year. With three brand new never worn boots waiting for the current pair to wear out, I am set forever. You want boots, get Red Wings. That from my experience. And totally USA made.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:38 pm

I have a Carhartt sweatshirt that I love, but I can only wear it Nov-March because it's so thick and warm. Most of my gardening is done in shorts and t-shirts or old jeans and t-shirts. I buy 10-packs of slightly defective army-green t-shirts from some place online for about a buck or two each. Stylish I am not.

My boots are these from Georgia Boot Company: https://www.georgiaboot.com/flx-point/g ... M&size=090
I bought them in 2018 on closeout at Southern States Co-op; they're comfortable, supportive, sturdy, and still going strong after five years of heavy use. No idea if they've cut any manufacturing corners in the intervening years, but the picture looks the same as what I have. One thing I love about them is they have a narrow heel but roomy toe box, so they fit my narrow feet without my heel slipping but also without crunching my toes. Website Labor Day sale 20% off.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:40 pm

@Paulf
Red Wings aren't totally US made anymore but they're still good boots.
You get what you pay for.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:45 pm

Patagonia is marketing a line of work clothing now: https://www.patagonia.com/shop/sport/workwear

$45.00 for a men's short-sleeved pocket t-shirt! $19 for a bandana. I guess it's probably a very, very nice bandana.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience with outdoor-type work clothes from Duluth Trading Co.?

bower
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:26 pm

I'm in the old jeans and cotton shirts camp, with rubber boots my standard footwear in the garden.
Here it's Mark's Work Wearhouse for higher end duds, I did get some great boots there and also a couple of vests - I bought one oversized so it's like a long jacket length and loose on me, with good pockets and some padding, of course that's cooler weather only, but the pockets are very handy and it keeps your clothes clean (relatively). I have a pair of pants I got there too, which are some kind of synthetic maybe a cotton blend, which turned out to be surprisingly washable - I can't seem to ruin the knees (one day is usually enough!). Not a year old yet so we shall see.
I've been on a mending jag for garden pants for a few years now, and come to the conclusion you can make a whole pair of pants from two worn out pairs, by doing a full front of leg replacement with the back sides of the other pair (why fronts wear out and backs are still perfectly good, somewhat of a mystery but there it is. I just don't sit enough. :roll: :lol: )
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:15 pm

The nice thing about carhart in cold weather is their long sleeve shirts have a long tail that stays tucked into pants. And speaking of pants, US Army battle dress uniform (bdu) are the best pants I have ever owned. Knees are double fabric, no zippers to break, and in the event of a water landing they may be used as a floatation device. (seriously)

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:25 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:47 pm Does anyone have any experience with outdoor-type work clothes from Duluth Trading Co.?
I don't personally, but i have been reading the past few weeks reviews and discussions and a lot of people are saying quality across the board of many places including Duluth have fallen. However, it also obviously depends on which pants and what you are doing. Lots of negative reviews on the firehose fabric pants but not many on the others. So... Not sure.

Wrangler Riggs were recommended or the Carhartt original duck, or patagonia... Or basically any real duck fabric or heavyweight denim. Hoggs of Fife came up a lot as well.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:28 pm

Cole_Robbie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:15 pm The nice thing about carhart in cold weather is their long sleeve shirts have a long tail that stays tucked into pants. And speaking of pants, US Army battle dress uniform (bdu) are the best pants I have ever owned. Knees are double fabric, no zippers to break, and in the event of a water landing they may be used as a floatation device. (seriously)
Honestly, i was thinking about how much i loved my old ranger pants which were army pants. Some people like to use 5.11 tactical pants for this kind of work for this reason.

For work boots i have gotten a cheap (new but sold seconr hand) pair of Ariat safety clogs but also some Bates boots which are military issue, parent company is Wolverine, I think?
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:32 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:45 pm Patagonia is marketing a line of work clothing now: https://www.patagonia.com/shop/sport/workwear

$45.00 for a men's short-sleeved pocket t-shirt! $19 for a bandana. I guess it's probably a very, very nice bandana.
I have been hearing good things about that line too. Patagonia also have a lifetime guarantee and will replace things apparently.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:36 pm

Seven Bends wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:38 pm I have a Carhartt sweatshirt that I love, but I can only wear it Nov-March because it's so thick and warm. Most of my gardening is done in shorts and t-shirts or old jeans and t-shirts. I buy 10-packs of slightly defective army-green t-shirts from some place online for about a buck or two each. Stylish I am not.

My boots are these from Georgia Boot Company: https://www.georgiaboot.com/flx-point/g ... M&size=090
I bought them in 2018 on closeout at Southern States Co-op; they're comfortable, supportive, sturdy, and still going strong after five years of heavy use. No idea if they've cut any manufacturing corners in the intervening years, but the picture looks the same as what I have. One thing I love about them is they have a narrow heel but roomy toe box, so they fit my narrow feet without my heel slipping but also without crunching my toes. Website Labor Day sale 20% off.
I will check out Georgia Boot!
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:38 pm

Paulf wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:16 pm During my last 20 years of working life I worked where we had to wear boots. My company, Cargill, supplied us with boots as long as they were on the approved list. The only company with made entirely in the USA was Red Wing out of Minnesota. To begin with we were given a pair of boots every year. Red Wings lasted so well that where I worked I received about three pairs that I have never worn. The policy was changed so that you could get a new pair whenever your old pair was worn out. Workers in areas where boots were subjected to adverse conditions got new boots more often...office workers never needed new pairs. The company got smarter.

I retired 18 years ago and am still wearing the boots I wore my last year. With three brand new never worn boots waiting for the current pair to wear out, I am set forever. You want boots, get Red Wings. That from my experience. And totally USA made.
my company buys those and now the guys are saying they are getting cheaper and cheaper :(
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:40 pm

worth1 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:03 pm I saw a review on the Carhartt boots and it wasn't good.
They like other companies like CAT and Harley Davidson job out some cheap Chinese boot making companies to make a boot with their name on it.
Buy what the people are known for not stuff they aren't known for.
CAT makes a good bulldozer they don't make boots and Harley Davidson doesn't make clothing.
Just an honest opinion from personal research and reviews.
yeah reviews are not kind lately. That goes across the board for many brands.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:42 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:03 am Carhartt and the like are way too warm for spring and summers here. I finally found at Walmart some men's camo shorts with tougher than normal fabric and DEEP pockets, unlike women's shorts with wimpy little pockets and thin fabric. For me, garden use utility rides way above any sense of fashion! And they were on end of season sale last year. Similarly I found there some long camo pants for fall/winter use that had side cargo pockets to boot, also on sale at the end of last winter. The cargo pockets turned out to be handy for that handful of beans or several cucumbers. LOL!
Same here. I am.not looking at fashion, but rather utility. I don't care if the tomatoes think i look spectacular or not.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Julianna
Reactions:

Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:45 pm

PlainJane wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 7:31 am Am still just using jeans once they get too beat up for ‘regular’ wear. And being concerned about too much sun exposure in my N. Florida conditions I almost always wear jeans and an old long sleeve t-shirt when working outside. I hate hats while I’m working so that’s one point of vulnerability.
I had a pair of gardening clogs from the old Smith and Hawkin that lasted over 20 years. When I finally had to replace them I went with BOGS and so far very good.
I just got a "used once" pair of Bogs off ebay with zero wear and just a bit of dirt. They are heavy and awesome. The pull on ones with the handle cutouts. Figured i couldn't beat a $20 trial.
-julianna
10a Monterey Bay

Return to “Garden Tools and Equipment.”