Sweet potato Slips

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
eyegrotom
Reactions:

Sweet potato Slips

Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:40 pm

I am looking to buy some Sweet potatoes Slips. For the past three years I have just got a couple of potatoes from the store and grew the Slips from them.
But know I want to try some different kinds. So for those that grow Sweet potatoes what variety do you grow and where is the best place to order some from. Thanks. Mike

P S I want to get a mix of variety and I only need 10 to 12 Slips.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Re: Sweet potato Slips

Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:48 am

I grow Jewel because it's nematode resistant and I've had good luck with it now for five years. It's the first and only variety I've ever grown and I grew the first slips from one bought at a Publix grocery store. This year I'm adding Covington for half of the row. It's also supposed to be nematode resistant and is the major variety grown commercially in North Carolina. I found them (labeled) at a local Ingles store.

Unless you want to pay a bunch of money for way more plants than you need plus a LOT of shipping, it would be best to just shop around your supermarkets and just pick out a few varieties to start yourself. Try any stores that sell organic veggies as those will be more likely to have the variety label on them. Check catalogs online and you'll see what I mean.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Re: Sweet potato Slips

Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:22 pm

I agree that growing your own is probably the best choice, and finding them locally at a farm co-op or nursery would be next-best as far as economics go. If you need to buy them online and definitely want more than one variety, maybe try sowtrueseed.com: https://sowtrueseed.com/collections/sweet-potatoes They have a sampler of three varieties (their choice), 18 slips for $24.95. They only sell 6 varieties and they all look good, so it's not a big risk.

My other suggestions for not crazy expensive would be Sand Hill Preservation and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. If you stick with only one variety, you can get 6-12 slips for around $20 including shipping.

Return to “General Discussion”