pepperhead212's 2024 garden

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: pepperhead212's 2024 garden

Wed May 01, 2024 2:45 pm

Tomatoes are in!! :) 33 tomatoes and 2 tomatillos (actually 3 - I couldn't just toss the extra one, so I planted it behind the shed, amongst all those weed garlic chives). I actually have less than I'll be given to a friend, but I double everything, plus those things that didn't germinate, I put some more extras of some other favorites in, so she's going to be busy later on!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

AKgardener
Reactions:

Wed May 01, 2024 3:50 pm

Yah for planting maters

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon May 06, 2024 10:30 am

Here's how much larger the eggplants grew in just 10 days, since that last photo! And, like the tomatoes, the only fert is that silica supplement, and a very small amount - ~1/8 tsp/gal - of that hydroponics fertilizer, that I use for greens and herbs. I didn't even realize what a short time it was, until I looked at that previous eggplant photo!
Here's that photo from 10 days earlier, when I planted the Jiffy pellets, that I started the seeds in 23 days earlier, in larger pots - the 18/tray size.
ImageEggplant transplanted - some not very large, but all the pellets had roots running out of them. They will take off now. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And 10 days later:
Image15 eggplants hardening off, 5-6, started on 4-3 this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I wanted to start hardening them off before, but there was all that rain the last two days. Oh well, weather doesn't always cooperate! :lol:

I want to plant them soon, but every day has thunderstorms forecast, and Thursday has "gusty" thunderstorms forecast, so I might wait until after that - I'll wait and see.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon May 06, 2024 11:44 pm

I got a lot done today, starting early. Even though it was not hot - only 72 or 73 degrees, so about average - it was very humid! Started out that way being foggy, which took a while to lift. I took that eggplant out to start it out, and finished taking my indoor plants outside - something I thought I'd have to get help with, for those lime trees, but I got them out on that homemade dolly, I made just for these things a couple of years ago. One of these nights I'll clean that mess up in there, when I'm finished with the outside stuff!

I pulled the last 4 Swiss chard plants out of my front flowerbed, as they were just starting to bolt, plus I had to clean out the bed, and get it ready for some other things. I got over 12 quarts of Swiss chard from it, and that's. after getting numerous cuttings, through the winter. I thought sure it would bolt even faster. The longer, lighter colored stalks in the bowl are a variety from Baker Creek that are an "improved" Rhubarb, which hadn't bolted, while all the others, a Rhubarb from Burpee, were just starting to bolt.

ImageA 12 qt bowl, filled with Swiss Chard. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also got my 'tiller working - something I usually don't have a problem with, but I couldn't get it to start Friday, even with some starter fluid (something I often have to use the first time of the season). I finally thought that it might be the gas, even though I always add STABIL to the gas, and it keeps it OK the entire winter, when some is in the tanks. So I drained the tank, got some fresh today, and it started up! I then 'tilled most of what I could - what is still covered is for butternuts later, and I'll 'til it when I am ready to plant it, and cover it with the fabric, before planting the butternuts.

After getting everything put away outside, I went inside, and got a call from my gardening friend, that I gave my extra tomatoes to, and I'll have my extra eggplants, peppers, and a few other things. She was asking me about a number of herbs - not something I thought she used many of, since she's Indian, and these aren't the traditional herbs they use. So I told her that I'd start a bunch of those cuttings off my plants, that root easily, and quickly.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon May 13, 2024 10:39 am

Putting the peppers out to start hardening off, same day I'm planting the eggplants. 3 days until the peppers get planted, unless forecast changes! Supposed to rain Wednesday, then clear up.
ImagePeppers, starting to harden off, 5-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 pm

I got the basil and epazote out of my cloner today, and planted all of them. I then put in some cuttings from the sage, marjoram, spearmint, and peppermint for my friends, and the only tomato of mine that got broken off - one of 2 Atomic Fusion plants - and I'll try to root it, which is usually easy. I could also root a couple more basils, for my friends.
ImageCloned basil, the two on the left, Dolce Fresca, the other four, Spicy Saber, showing the roots. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCloned Red Oaxacan epazote. Not quite as rooted as the basil, but they will take off still by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Later I planted the eggplants - just one Long Purple, and 2 each of Ichiban, Asian Delight Hybrid, and Matrosik, the last one the only non-Asian variety.
ImageIchiban eggplant, planted on 5-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAsian Delight hybrid eggplant, planted on 5-13. A little sunscald on one leaf, but otherwise good. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMatrosik eggplant, planted on 5-13. Many more spines on the stems than others I've grown, but too early to see the calyx, where I usually see them. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageLong Purple Eggplant, planted on 5-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Earlier, I saw the first flower buds on several of my tomato plants! None open yet, but both of the Sunsugar and both of the Juliet plants have well developed flower clusters, and one of the Early Blue Ribbons; a few others with tiny buds, but I had to almost strain to see them! I expect to see some open soon. I didn't see any buds on Oaxacan Jewel yet - I looked, because the last two years they have been the first of the larger varieties, ripening before 7-4, but I wasn't looking to see when the flower buds appeared.
ImageFirst tomatoes with flower buds, 5-13. Juliet and Sunsugar first two so far, and Early Blue Ribbon the only one of larger types, with any buds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”