Anyone Grown Sunchocola F2?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
PNW_D
Reactions:

Anyone Grown Sunchocola F2?

Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:02 pm

saved a few seeds from F1, just wondering if F2 grow out is worth the space ......... over $10 for ten seeds is a bit much!!
Zone 8b

Shule
Reactions:

Re: Anyone Grown Sunchocola F2?

Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:50 am

@PNW_D

Yes. I grew SunChocola F2 in 2020 (only one plant). I grew the F3 in 2021, too. I liked the F2 best, but the F3 was interesting. If I remember right, the F2 tasted kind of like a mix between Paul Robeson and Sweet Tarts. Considering the late start (and that I haven't grown the F1), it's really hard to make a recommendation for you one way or the other (but it seemed kind of promising at the time, considering). I was underwhelmed by the F3, but it was cool in that it had really firm fruits that were brown even long before they were ripe.

Here's what I wrote about the F2 (with the pictures I posted):

"

Here are my SunChocola F2 tomato plants, on 27 May 2020. I've since thinned it to two plants. I received the seeds from Gardenboy of TomatoJunction, in 2020. These seeds got a later start than most of the other tomatoes, this year. There are wonderberry seedlings with them (the SunChocola ones are closer to the center, and more mature than the wonderberries).
SunChocola_F2 seedling.jpg
"

"
Okay, so, I found my SunChocola F2 plant being completely smothered by wonderberries, today. I didn't expect that! Once I pruned the wonderberries off, I discovered five ripe fruits (one was split and had spoiled). They're brown and maybe a bit smaller than Garnet, with more size variability. They have decent firmness. One split after harvesting (I think it wouldn't have split had the calyx remained attached).

Here's a picture (SuChocola F2 fruits are on the right, with Black Cherry on the left):
SunChocola F2.jpg
"

"

Okay, I tasted SunChocola F2 and Black Cherry. They were both shaded (by a shed, fence, and other plants) and unexpectedly smothered by wonderberries. So, I imagine in full sun they would have been a lot sweeter.

SunChocola F2 had more tartness than Black Cherry. Black Cherry was sweeter. They were both good. SunChocola F2 had brown fruits. Black Cherry's are, well, black.

I like Black Cherry quite a bit. I think I'll grow it next year with more sun and space, especially if it gets a lot sweeter than that (it was still pretty sweet). Black Cherry has a nice texture and fruit size, too.

"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Cole_Robbie
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:24 am

I've only grown the f1. The yield on it is very good. Maybe that is what suffers with the later generations of seed.

PNW_D
Reactions:

Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:05 am

Wow! thank you so much Shule for the detailed info ..... I did like the F1
Zone 8b

Return to “General Discussion”