Perhaps a bad tomato year?

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
MissS
Reactions:

Re: Perhaps a bad tomato year?

Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:50 pm

Tormato wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am
karstopography wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:41 pm
MissS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 pm According to this article, it's going to be hot and a bad year to grow Brandywine's as well as many other tomatoes. A quick flip from El Niño to La Niña is coming soon and will bring us record heat.

https://www.livescience.com/planet-eart ... -on-record
Last summer was uncharted territory, can’t wait to top that :(.

My one Brandywine tomato plant, Cowlick’s strain, has set some tomatoes and the plant looks strong. Maybe it will set some more fruit before things really heat up. However, I’m pretty excited to finally get to try one of the famous Brandywine tomatoes, maybe around the first of June and before it gets really hot.
A smart choice with Cowlick's, as I find that it produces good numbers and great taste in different weather conditions, from year to year. For me, it's the best of the "Brandywines" for consistency. Of course, I don't get your overnight temps, here.

If I remember correctly, but I could be wrong (now 11 days into having senior moments), it really doesn't have anything to do with the "Brandywine" region of PA, or any lineage to any "Brandywine" varieties. Like Brandywine from Croatia, a few people name tomatoes after that famous name.
From Tatiana's Tomatobase "Another strain of Brandywine, found by Mike Henry at a nursery called Cowlick's, hence it's name.
Mike Henry bought it as a plant in the mid 2000s. It was labeled Brandywine or Pink Brandywine, but outperformed all other strains of Brandywine tomatoes that Mike also grew in the same year. It was more productive, earlier, tasted better, and produced larger and prettier fruits. Mr. Henry first thought that this was Brandywine Sudduth's that was praised for the similar traits, but the subsequent growouts and comparisons with other strains of Brandywine convinced him that this strain is even better than Sudduth's. He named it 'Cowlick's Brandywine' after the nursery where he originally purchased the plant.
Mr. Mike Henry shared the seeds with many tomato gardeners in the U.S., Canada, Phillipines and Europe, as well as with local nurseries."
~ Patti ~

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:50 pm

MissS wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:50 pm
Tormato wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:45 am
karstopography wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:41 pm
MissS wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 pm According to this article, it's going to be hot and a bad year to grow Brandywine's as well as many other tomatoes. A quick flip from El Niño to La Niña is coming soon and will bring us record heat.

https://www.livescience.com/planet-eart ... -on-record
Last summer was uncharted territory, can’t wait to top that :(.

My one Brandywine tomato plant, Cowlick’s strain, has set some tomatoes and the plant looks strong. Maybe it will set some more fruit before things really heat up. However, I’m pretty excited to finally get to try one of the famous Brandywine tomatoes, maybe around the first of June and before it gets really hot.
A smart choice with Cowlick's, as I find that it produces good numbers and great taste in different weather conditions, from year to year. For me, it's the best of the "Brandywines" for consistency. Of course, I don't get your overnight temps, here.

If I remember correctly, but I could be wrong (now 11 days into having senior moments), it really doesn't have anything to do with the "Brandywine" region of PA, or any lineage to any "Brandywine" varieties. Like Brandywine from Croatia, a few people name tomatoes after that famous name.
From Tatiana's Tomatobase "Another strain of Brandywine, found by Mike Henry at a nursery called Cowlick's, hence it's name.
Mike Henry bought it as a plant in the mid 2000s. It was labeled Brandywine or Pink Brandywine, but outperformed all other strains of Brandywine tomatoes that Mike also grew in the same year. It was more productive, earlier, tasted better, and produced larger and prettier fruits. Mr. Henry first thought that this was Brandywine Sudduth's that was praised for the similar traits, but the subsequent growouts and comparisons with other strains of Brandywine convinced him that this strain is even better than Sudduth's. He named it 'Cowlick's Brandywine' after the nursery where he originally purchased the plant.
Mr. Mike Henry shared the seeds with many tomato gardeners in the U.S., Canada, Phillipines and Europe, as well as with local nurseries."
Multiple grow outs has me convinced that it is superior to Brandywine Sudduth, too, in perhaps 4 out of 5 years. The 5th year, when weather conditions are just right, BS will blow away any other tomato variety, that I've ever tried, for intense balanced complex flavor.

There have never been any "Brandywine" labeled plants sold, around here.

There have been plenty of farmer's markets selling Brandywine or Brandywine Pink tomatoes, here. They go for $2.99/lb while all other tomatoes go for $1.99/lb. I've saved and planted the seed. None of them were ever Brandywine Sudduth.

And, years ago, several seed companies sold Brandywine Pink (or Pink Brandywine) seeds. I've bought a few from a few vendors. None were Brandywine Sudduth. I don't blame these vendors, nor the above farmers markets who likely purchased their seeds from a vendor selling Brandywine Pink seeds. And many gardeners may not even know if they have the "true" Brandywine Sudduth seeds. When one finally gets the right weather conditions, then one knows.

MissS
Reactions:

Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:01 pm

I prefer Brandywine Cowlick's over Brandywine Sudduth. It is a bit earlier and rounder fruit. I have a 'Brandywine' that was from my very first garden that I bought at a nursery. It is more productive than the named Brandywine's and tastes the same. Perhaps it was always more productive or perhaps after growing it so very many years, that it has conformed to my climate. Whichever, I still like it.
~ Patti ~

GVGardens
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:03 pm

MissS wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:13 pm I like to grow beefsteak/slicer tomatoes that are little known but that have great flavor so that I can pass them on in the MMMM. Now I am looking for heat resistance too. I like pink and dark tomatoes the best but my list of possibilities is packed with reds.
As far as non-red slicers, I haven’t grown any of these recently but a nearby urban farm grows the following every year. Which tells me that they’re pretty good at rolling with Central Texas' heat:
-Oxacan Jewel
-Zapotec
-Big Rainbow
-JD’s Special C Tex

Everyone also grows Cherokee Purple here. Lila Sari has done well for me, too, if you want something similar but less well-known.

I normally do a second, late summer, planting but if it's a bad tomato summer, I'll also do a fall planting with early-maturing varieties. There's less disease pressure for me in the fall so I have more colorful options then.
Clay soil in the Texas Hill Country, Zone 9b-ish
Yearly precipitation: 35 inches

Frosti
Reactions:

Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:15 pm

Since last year was underwhelming tomato-wise, I'd welcome a summer akin to 2022's.

Paulf
Reactions:

Fri May 03, 2024 11:31 am

I had forgotten that Cowlick's was in the line-up for this season. Many years ago a guy, Chuck Wyatt a well know tomato man and seed seller, convinced me to try Joyce's strain, Glick's, Pawer's and a Red Brandywine along with Sudduth's to make a real comparison. Loved them all, but even with the low production of Sudduth's it seemed to be grown in my garden more often than the others. Joyce's is a great choice. When Cowlick's came along it seemed that became the Brandywine of choice. Of the varieties with the name Brandywine, I have grown most of them. Most are very good. Hard to go wrong with a Brandywine no matter the varietal name.

With last year's tomato disaster in my garden hopefully this year will turn around. Plant out will be in a day or two depending on the weather. With a week full of rain maybe the drought is abating enough for a better crop.

Tormato
Reactions:

Fri May 03, 2024 8:17 pm

Paulf wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:31 am I had forgotten that Cowlick's was in the line-up for this season. Many years ago a guy, Chuck Wyatt a well know tomato man and seed seller, convinced me to try Joyce's strain, Glick's, Pawer's and a Red Brandywine along with Sudduth's to make a real comparison. Loved them all, but even with the low production of Sudduth's it seemed to be grown in my garden more often than the others. Joyce's is a great choice. When Cowlick's came along it seemed that became the Brandywine of choice. Of the varieties with the name Brandywine, I have grown most of them. Most are very good. Hard to go wrong with a Brandywine no matter the varietal name.

With last year's tomato disaster in my garden hopefully this year will turn around. Plant out will be in a day or two depending on the weather. With a week full of rain maybe the drought is abating enough for a better crop.
With a very long experience with Brandywines, I find it is easy to go wrong with Brandywine Sudduth. In my garden, it is basically a complete dud in 2 of 5 years, it is OK (but no as good as Cowlick's) in 2 of 5 years, and it is the richest balanced- flavored tomato that I've ever tried, in 1 of 5 years. Cowlick's is almost always very good, unless it is a year of too much rain, and the only good tasting tomato in my entire garden is SunGold (like in my 2023 season).

karstopography
Reactions:

Fri May 03, 2024 8:32 pm

I picked my first Brandywine Cowlick’s today at a color break. Runtish tomato at the very lowest point of the plant on the very first flowering truss. 117 grams, so not the typical Brandywine.

BER has stricken my plot this season, but only with a few selected tomato plants. Brandywine Cowlick’s is now second to Black From Tula in BER casualties. In hindsight, I pushed too much nitrogen, albeit mostly Calcium Nitrate, and that combined with prolonged environmental high dewpoints led to significant BER losses. That’s my working hypothesis at any rate.

I still see some unaffected by BER Brandywine tomatoes on the vine. The squirrels I have bribed with retained fall harvested Native pecans. So far, no losses to bushy tailed tree rats.

Tomato growing is an adventure.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Tormato
Reactions:

Sat May 04, 2024 1:05 am

I can attest to squirrels and chipmunks going for pecans. I was gifted with about 10 pounds of shelled ones (long past the expiration date on the bags). One early spring, they were all fat and happy.

Yak54
Reactions:

Sat May 04, 2024 4:39 pm

After growing Brandywine Sudduth for 6-7 years I gave up and 2009 was my last year. In 2014 I tried Cowlicks and been growing it ever since. When I was growing Sudduth I would get 8-10 fruit from a plant so I would plant 4 plants so I'd have enough to give away. Now with Cowlicks I get about 30 fruit per plant so I only have to grow one plant.
Dan

karstopography
Reactions:

Sat May 04, 2024 11:42 pm

Tormato wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:05 am I can attest to squirrels and chipmunks going for pecans. I was gifted with about 10 pounds of shelled ones (long past the expiration date on the bags). One early spring, they were all fat and happy.
The squirrels are going nuts over the pecans and I’m getting low on supplies. Since I got the squirrels hooked on the pecans I’m planning on getting a big bunch of raw peanuts in the shell and work those in with the remaining pecans. We have a bumper crop of squirrels. I’d rather feed the squirrels relatively cheap raw peanuts than my dear raw tomatoes or the no longer available pecans.

The squirrels come from all points of the lot to eat the nuts. The word is out. These squirrels we have here are very communicative with their brethren, that’s how they operate. Surely, nuts rank above tomatoes as far as squirrel dietary preferences go. I hope this has a happy ending for everyone.

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Sun May 05, 2024 8:21 am

I'm hoping the squirrels leave my tomatoes alone this year and that the hordes are gone. So far I don't see near as many squirrels out back raiding the bird feeders. Maybe the hoard was a one off event. Maybe they decided it was too crowded around here and went somewhere else. One can only hope. We'll see!

Tormato
Reactions:

Sun May 05, 2024 9:11 am

karstopography wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:42 pm
Tormato wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:05 am I can attest to squirrels and chipmunks going for pecans. I was gifted with about 10 pounds of shelled ones (long past the expiration date on the bags). One early spring, they were all fat and happy.
The squirrels are going nuts over the pecans and I’m getting low on supplies. Since I got the squirrels hooked on the pecans I’m planning on getting a big bunch of raw peanuts in the shell and work those in with the remaining pecans. We have a bumper crop of squirrels. I’d rather feed the squirrels relatively cheap raw peanuts than my dear raw tomatoes or the no longer available pecans.

The squirrels come from all points of the lot to eat the nuts. The word is out. These squirrels we have here are very communicative with their brethren, that’s how they operate. Surely, nuts rank above tomatoes as far as squirrel dietary preferences go. I hope this has a happy ending for everyone.
At about 200 calories per 1/4 cup, the squirrels know.

My 95 year old neighbor used to feed the squirrels unshelled unsalted peanuts. I'd be the one buying the large bags for her. In late spring, they'd be knocking/scratching at her storm door, wanting to be fed in the late morning. I doubt that the neighbors were pleased with the peanut shells scattered across their sidewalks, driveways and yards.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun May 05, 2024 10:31 am

Reifels sells raw and unshelled peanuts by the pound. Scoop up as much or as little as you like. About time to plant peanuts here, I’ll get some extra for the squirrels. May have to scatter these peanuts out some. There’s a bully squirrel that has laid claim to the pecans as his or hers personal stash and chases away the other squirrels. Neighbors won’t care about any shells, no sidewalks to keep clean, nosey neighbors or anything like that out in the country.

Return to “General Discussion”