Suggestions for spray routine - CT

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Suggestions for spray routine - CT

Sun May 05, 2024 9:20 am

So... I always say I am going to do a routine, write lots of stuff down in the off season, never really do nothing until it's too late and then say I'm going to do a routine next year. So next year is about to start, I looked at my weather this week and every day this week has showers so I am looking for ideas so I can get off on the right foot when I plant out. I have sprayers, I'm looking for a pet friendly preventative spraying routine.

It's for a raised bed garden with tomatoes, garlic, herbs, beans, asparagus, squash, beet, carrot, lettuce, peppers, eggplant, cucumber, onions, shallots, leeks, bok choy, celery and going to try brussel sprouts this year for the first time if I can find some, mine didn't sprout. I typically get PM later on, but if we get rains here I can get quickly bothered by lots of stuff - that's when I typically try something, when it's too late. I have done bleach treatments in the past, have sprayed with copper, or mancozeb or daconil, excel lg, actinovate - just to name some stuff I remember from over the years - but like I said, I am normally going after things AFTER they start and I want to do better this year.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you might care to share... :)
- Sandy zone 6A

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Re: Suggestions for spray routine - CT

Sun May 05, 2024 10:13 am

The preventative spray I do for fungal diseases is potassium bicarbonate - something I do with the Surround, that I spray on many things, to keep a lot of insects off. It's not something for herbs, or leafy greens, as it's not easily removed - same with cherry tomatoes and hot peppers, because they are small, and too much of a pain to wipe off all of them. Eggplants, larger tomatoes, cucumbers, and squash, it wipes off of easily. The Surround stays on the plants fairly well with just light rains, and a little is still noticeable after heavy rains. I put 2 tb of potassium bicarbonate/gal of spray which helps with some fungal diseases, plus gives some fertilizer, with the potassium. I can leave the two things in the sprayer for a week, until the next application.

Another fairly effective preventative spray that I've found, that I use on those things I don't use the other combo on is hydrogen peroxide - 1/2 c/gal of the 3% H2O2 you can get in Dollar Stores. And don't mix anything with it - it reacts quickly, making it ineffective. I use this for the cherry tomatoes, greens, small peppers, beans, and anything the Surround doesn't come off of easily.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

Return to “General Discussion”