Something Chewed Leaves Off My Seedlings!

Everything About Tomatoes
DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Something Chewed Leaves Off My Seedlings!

Mon May 27, 2024 7:23 am

For the first time in my 15 years at the community garden something chewed all or most the leaves off some of my tomato seedlings. The known critter list there is voles, rabbits, chipmunks, turkeys, cranes, and gophers. Who is the most likely suspect? We busted a rabbit nibbling our peppers with trail cam evidence so now we fence those. I hope I don’t have to start fencing the three tomato beds!
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Something Chewed Leaves Off My Seedlings!

Mon May 27, 2024 8:05 am

One of the rodents most likely did it.
~ Patti ~

Cornelius_Gotchberg
Reactions:

Mon May 27, 2024 8:56 am

DriftlessRoots wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:23 am For the first time in my 15 years at the community garden something chewed all or most the leaves off some of my tomato seedlings.
Same here, and these are still in pots on a 2'/61cm high table.
DriftlessRoots wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:23 amWe busted a rabbit nibbling our peppers with trail cam evidence so now we fence those.
As of last July, the wascally wabbits (caught red-pawed!) have acquired a taste for our Pepper Plant leaves; they're now fenced.
DriftlessRoots wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:23 am I hope I don’t have to start fencing the three tomato beds!
That would suck, but there's really no way to keep roof rats and dastardly MunkaChippas out; the latter will take a few nibbles, then move on to destroy others. Good luck!

The Gotch
Madison WESconsin/Growing Zone 5-A/Raised beds above the Midvale Heights spade-caking clay in the 77 Square Miles surrounded by A Sea Of Reality

Tormato
Reactions:

Mon May 27, 2024 9:28 am

What surrounds the outside of the community gardens? Greenery or something like cement/blacktop? If it's grass, I'd scatter some clover seed, or something similar, in there. In my garden, I try to set out sacrificial plants at the edges. Let the animal have those extras, as long as they stay out of the main garden. And, if I have a year when the wildlife doesn't show up, it's just more plants for my harvest. I usually go with leafy lettuce and brassicas.

I don't expect any critters this year, with the new stray/feral cat living a few feet from the garden.

I had a large wild rabbit, a few years ago, hop to one exact square foot space in the entire lawn, then sit and munch for quite awhile. After it goes, I'd go looking for what it was eating. I never could tell, but whatever it was, it was no more than 2" high.

DriftlessRoots
Reactions:

Mon May 27, 2024 11:54 am

I’m surrounded by other plots, mostly weedy, with no space between and a wide grass path on one side. The critters have lots to choose from! The whole garden is surrounded by forest and prairie.

I was just up there and it looks like a couple plants are actually growing new leaves 🤞🏻
A nature, gardening and food enthusiast externalizing the inner monologue.🍅

worth1
Reactions:

Mon May 27, 2024 11:58 am

As long as the growing tip is still there they'll be ok.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Return to “Tomato Talk”