Whatcha Cooking today?

Share your recipes and cooking tips!
karstopography
Reactions:

Re: Whatcha Cooking today?

Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:06 pm

Pasta with fresh fava beans and peas. That’s it for the fava beans. Cooked up five slices of bacon until crisp. Then a chopped onion cooked in the bacon grease. Put the broad beans and peas in that and stirred it a little while over lower heat. The creme fraiche got stirred into the hot cooked and drained pasta with a little retained pasta water and grated Parmesan cheese. A squeeze of lemon and a lot of fresh ground pepper to finish it off.

Served a side salad of the last of the Turkish romaine lettuce, final Radicchio, last of the merlot lettuce, and some really nice fresh strawberries. Balsamic vinegar and garlic infused olive oil dressing.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:01 am

My half cup of Anasazi beans turned into.
1/2 cup of basmati rice cooked in the beans after they were done.
Added 1/2 cup of frozen corn.
Cooked about a half pound of ground beef.
Spices were the usual in the beans and rice.
Knorr chicken bullion powder.
Cumin.
HEB brand chili powder.
The beef had the chili powder put in with it and a little cumin.
Then everything mixed together with some Velveeta cheese.
Served on steamed corn tortillas that were heated up in the beans rice concoction.
Pisilla salsa was the condiment.
Eaten with a fork.
IMG_20240325_180926109_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 pm

More grilled Salmon Tacos for me with cilantro lime rice and this time homemade cilantro lime rice. Good last time but with the homemade crema, Much better!

worth1
Reactions:

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:55 pm

Back to the future.
Home fried tortilla chips and my bean rice concoction.
IMG_20240326_185011414_HDR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Worth

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:50 pm

A few days ago I got a craving for some Italian dish, after trimming all that basil from my hydroponics - I love the smell of that stuff! So last night I took a 1½ lb pack of ground venison, which I had flavored with Italian sausage seasonings (not enough fat to call sausage, but serves the purpose), and thawed that in the fridge. The first thing I did today, was put some dried eggplant to soak in hot water, then set some dried tomatoes to soak in some hot water. Then I set some cannelini beans and some dried green beans to cook in plain water, with a little salt, for 20 minutes, in the Instant Pot, then started cutting things. Onion started cooking first, in some olive oil, followed by 2 very large red bells, diced, and 6 minced cloves of garlic. After a few minutes for the garlic, the meat was added, and cooked and broken up into large chunks, while cooking. Then I added a generous tb of minced basil, and about 3 tb chopped fresh marjoram, and about 2 chopped fresh parsley, and at least 2 tsp pepper flakes (added more later!). Then I puréed the soaked tomatoes in the Vitamix, with the 1½ c water they were soaked with, added it to the pan, then added a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes to the VM, and coarsely puréed them, and put them in the pan. Then rinsed the pan out with a little more water, and put it into the pan. This simmered while I drained the beans, then I cooked 1½ c kamut - I was going to use spelt, but had just the right amount of this, so I used it all up. Cooked it 15 minutes in the IP, and let it release naturally, all while simmering the sauce. Drained beans were added to the sauce, then the kamut drained, and added, and mixed up. Tasted for seasonings, added a little more pepper, as always, then stirred in about 3/4 c chopped basil. I served this with some grated Asiago cheese.
ImageStarting the Italian type dish, with some onion, pepper, and garlic, and browning sausage, while some dried beans are cooking in IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome dried eggplant, soaked, and added to the sauce to simmer, along with some dried oyster mushrooms, while cooking some kamut, in IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFresh basil, 1 tb minced and added early, the rest will be added at the end, in larger chunks. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSauce ready for the beans and kamut to be added, and simmered briefly. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageKamut added after the bears were mixed in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished dish, ready to serve. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished dish, with extra basil, and Asiago cheese. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm

I had over a pound and a half of huge frozen shrimp I needed to cook.
After the shells were removed I had a pound and a half.
For once in my life I remembered to buy old Bay seasoning.
After the shrimp was thawed and peeled I put them in a kettle and put Old Bay seasoning on them along with other things.
1.5 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning.
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
1 tablespoon of Knorr shrimp bullion powder.
1 tablespoon of salt.
1/4 cup of lime juice.
And mixed it all up.
Let it marinate for about an hour.
Put in stainless steel kettle with enough cold water to just cover.
I had a jar of hamburger dill pickles with about 3 pickles left in it and dumped all of it in.
Probably about a cup of the dill pickle juice.
Put the small burner on medium low and set the thermometer to go off at 175F.
Let it slowly heat up.
Shrimp done but not over cooked.
Took off burner to cool off.
They're going to be used with some smoked salmon to make seafood patties.
Yeah I know you use raw shrimp but I'd rather not with the method I use.
IMG_20240330_120559664_HDR.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:26 pm

Here's the beet lox that have been in a vacuum sealed bag in the minus 4 F freezer for a very long time.
13.7 ounces.
IMG_20240330_122100830_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240330_122043089.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:56 pm

I've got everything mixed up and in the refrigerator.
The shrimp and salmon were chopped up in the food processor.
Dill pickle relish was added to a bowl along with a finely chopped small onion.
Crakers meal was made and added.
3 eggs were added along with black pepper and a tablespoon of sugar to offset the salt.
More Old Bay seasoning.
Everything is ready to bake in the oven when I make them into patties or balls or whatever I decide to do with the stuff.
Whatever it is it didn't really cost me anything special from the store.
I had everything on hand from a long time ago from my stores.
IMG_20240330_131650288_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240330_131704928_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240330_135406370_HDR.jpg
Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:52 pm

I'm also making fried beef sweetbreads for my before nap snack.
It's something I seldom eat but have dearly loved since I was a wee child as gross as they may seem.
What's that Mom?
Sweetbreads.
Okay yummy.
These are rather on the tough side but it's okay.
IMG_20240330_154646611_HDR.jpg
Worth

bower
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:44 pm

Making a stew today with some bargain priced (as good as it gets) cross rib steak I cut up quite small as usual.
Cumin the main flavor as usual house favorite for beef stew, dash of coriander, cayenne, black pepper, bay, some chopped rosemary, onions and garlic. Carrots and a bit of rutabaga finely chopped. I am not a big "turnip" eater but had this one gifted to me - it's been so long I expected it to cook as quickly as carrot but no. Giving it an extra ten minutes, won't hurt the beef to simmer longer anyway.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:10 pm

worth1 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:52 pm I'm also making fried beef sweetbreads for my before nap snack.
It's something I seldom eat but have dearly loved since I was a wee child as gross as they may seem.
What's that Mom?
Sweetbreads.
Okay yummy.
These are rather on the tough side but it's okay.
IMG_20240330_154646611_HDR.jpg
I love those, too, but haven't had any since the late 90s - last time my roommate from college and I had some, when he was visiting. We always had them in some French recipe, sometimes with mushrooms, some with cream, some with wine, and all with butter. And always some fresh French bread, to soak up the sauce. I never see them around - would have to go to a specialty butcher, and order them, and I can't imagine what they would cost now.
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:31 pm

Yesterday's fish concoction turned into today's patties.
Each one is around 6 ounces or so.
I didn't weigh each one out.
They were individually wrapped in cling wrap and put in the freezer.
I'll pick a couple out and bake.
This done after a good coating of regular bread crumbs and topped with Old Bay Seasoning.
Could we possibly call it OBS and get away with it? 😄

I found some precooked frozen shrimp in the freezer and I'm thawing out a fish fillet to fry.
Maybe a poor man's tenderloin as well, 'not decided yet.
IMG_20240331_124534536.jpg
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:14 pm

I've never heard it spoken seasoning, I imagine that I right it out as simply old bay.

I should thaw out some catfish, catfish patties with old bay is good. I just don't feel like cooking anything anymore.

edit I'm not good with acronyms. Some people started doing bumper stickers, 10 years back maybe, with just letters on them, plain blue on white or black on white. I kept seeing OB. Like they were baby docs? But way too many. Sometimes OBX. There were some others. Then I saw, I think, OCM? And I figured that as maybe Ocean City MD. Oh, their vacation spots...OK. No that means okay, not Tulsa.

I still don't get it, other than I guess some people are so buried in the phones, so this alerts them to an actual person parked nearby that they might talk face to face with about something in common?

So no, OBS was written, I thought it must be a variation of IBS, since it is a cooking thread. :lol: I was instantly trying to cipher it.

worth1
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:09 pm

JRinPA wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:14 pm I've never heard it spoken seasoning, I imagine that I right it out as simply old bay.

I should thaw out some catfish, catfish patties with old bay is good. I just don't feel like cooking anything anymore.

edit I'm not good with acronyms. Some people started doing bumper stickers, 10 years back maybe, with just letters on them, plain blue on white or black on white. I kept seeing OB. Like they were baby docs? But way too many. Sometimes OBX. There were some others. Then I saw, I think, OCM? And I figured that as maybe Ocean City MD. Oh, their vacation spots...OK. No that means okay, not Tulsa.

I still don't get it, other than I guess some people are so buried in the phones, so this alerts them to an actual person parked nearby that they might talk face to face with about something in common?

So no, OBS was written, I thought it must be a variation of IBS, since it is a cooking thread. :lol: I was instantly trying to cipher it.
Well here it is.
Please forgive me I'm from the South Southwest.
Not privy to the North East terminology.
IMG_20240331_200142036.jpg
Worth

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:17 pm

Yeah just plain old "old bay". My older brother lived in OC and Baltimore for a long while. He would bring up J.O. He would say the locals eschewed Old Bay and preferred J.O. Some sort of litmus test on whether you are cool/local.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:22 pm

https://gardenandgun.com/articles/old-b ... 0pedigrees.

Old Bay v. J.O., Marylanders weigh in.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:52 pm

It has been so long since I've had fresh crabs...when my brother lived on assawoman bay, they had a permanent trap off the dock. Only problem was eels getting in it.

karstopography
Reactions:

Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:02 pm

When I lived at the beach, I’d put out a couple of crab traps when I went out in my kayak to fish. I literally drug the kayak across the marsh about 50 yards to the water. There was a tongue of smooth vegetation free fine beach sand washed over from one of the hurricanes that paved the way.

I used fish heads and skeletons as bait. In three hours of fishing, I’d generally get about 1/2 dozen keeper blue crabs per trap and the occasional florida stone crab. Living at the beach made living off the land pretty easy, at least as far as the proteins went.

Sue_CT
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:50 pm

Breakfast for dinner. Scrambled eggs with fresh chives, cooked in the oil from diced, probably Spanish, chorizo, in a homemade burrito with shredded 4 cheese Mexican cheese.

karstopography
Reactions:

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:23 pm

IMG_3742.jpeg
Pan fried redfish, oven roasted Red Lasoda new potatoes, sautéed summer squash. Too gosh darn good!

Return to “What's Cooking.”