The devastation in Lahaina

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Kurt
Reactions:

Re: The devastation in Lahaina

Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:58 pm

Not only seeds,starting trays,etc shade cloths list may go on.

MissS
Reactions:

Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:42 pm

@Kurt Here is a link to list of charities that are helping to provide relief to Hawaii wildfire victims. Perhaps one of them would like to help out with this.https://www.charitynavigator.org/discov ... ires-2023/
~ Patti ~

MissS
Reactions:

Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:29 pm

Why don't they just bring in a cruise ship for all of the displaced people? These people sure have done a lot to support that industry.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:51 pm

MissS wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:29 pm Why don't they just bring in a cruise ship for all of the displaced people? These people sure have done a lot to support that industry.
Probably lawyers and too much legal stuff.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:11 pm

They put a lot of people in hotel rooms. No reason to use a ship when there are thousands of empty hotel rooms just minutes outside Lahaina.
Wet and windy side of a Hawaiian island, just living the dream

MissS
Reactions:

Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:18 am

Mark_Thompson wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:11 pm They put a lot of people in hotel rooms. No reason to use a ship when there are thousands of empty hotel rooms just minutes outside Lahaina.
I'm glad to hear that because all that they say here is that there is no help in sight for them.
~ Patti ~

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:16 am

https://mauinow.com/2023/08/25/maui-wil ... -received/

Pretty long article on what’s going on currently.

IMG_6824.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:31 am

Thank you @Mark_Thompson! Here they are saying that there aren't any active relief organizations helping out yet and that everyone there is on their own. I am so glad to hear that people are there and providing food, clothing, necessities and shelter to those that need it. I just couldn't understand why no one was responding to the situation.
~ Patti ~

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:30 am

Worth

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:33 pm

Worth

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:14 pm

MissS wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:31 am Thank you @Mark_Thompson! Here they are saying that there aren't any active relief organizations helping out yet and that everyone there is on their own. I am so glad to hear that people are there and providing food, clothing, necessities and shelter to those that need it. I just couldn't understand why no one was responding to the situation.
In the aftermath of Katrina, they shipped thousands of people to Air Force bases. I'd like to think the naval personal at Pearl are doing something other than running around snapping each other on the butt with wet towels in the gym.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:16 pm

@Wildcat82 No real military infrastructure here, but they did send over a bunch of people to help dig out bodies etc.

Talked to a friend of a friend the other day, their house burned down but they’re staying in a sweet beachfront AirBnB fifteen minutes up the road. Lots of silly outrage on the internet about FEMA workers staying in expensive hotels during the response. There are no cheap hotels. No motels. So yeah response workers and people whose houses burned down are all staying in some pretty fancy spots.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:56 am

There's always the people that speak part of the facts but not all the facts.
Many reports on natural disasters and other things are just stock footage they play all the time.
Now social media has done the same thing.
A thumb nail picture that has nothing to do with the content of the actual video or story.
So called click bait.
Worth

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Mark_Thompson wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:16 pm @Wildcat82 No real military infrastructure here, but they did send over a bunch of people to help dig out bodies etc.

Talked to a friend of a friend the other day, their house burned down but they’re staying in a sweet beachfront AirBnB fifteen minutes up the road. Lots of silly outrage on the internet about FEMA workers staying in expensive hotels during the response. There are no cheap hotels. No motels. So yeah response workers and people whose houses burned down are all staying in some pretty fancy spots.
It seems strange there isn't much infrastructure at the headquarters of the United States Pacific Fleet with 12,000 personnel (plus 5,000 assigned Air Force personnel). I've never been to a Naval base but I know Air Force bases that deploy lots of personnel always have warehouses full of MRE's and deployment equipment like tents, heaters, electrical generators, ROWPU water purifiers etc.

Personally, I rather stay at a beachfront BnB given the choice.

karstopography
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:23 pm

Wildcat82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:02 pm
Mark_Thompson wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:16 pm @Wildcat82 No real military infrastructure here, but they did send over a bunch of people to help dig out bodies etc.

It seems strange there isn't much infrastructure at the headquarters of the United States Pacific Fleet with 12,000 personnel (plus 5,000 assigned Air Force personnel). I've never been to a Naval base but I know Air Force bases that deploy lots of personnel always have warehouses full of MRE's and deployment equipment like tents, heaters, electrical generators, ROWPU water purifiers etc.

Wrong Island might come into play, the devastating fire happened on Maui, most of the military bases are on Oahu. I imagine there are US military resources. barracks and such on Oahu to spare, but what good are vacant barracks on the wrong island? There’s a coast guard station on Maui and that is it for US military bases.

Supplies, food, equipment no doubt could be transported to Maui with US military resources.
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Wildcat82
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:37 pm

karstopography wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:23 pm
Wildcat82 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:02 pm

Wrong Island might come into play, the devastating fire happened on Maui, most of the military bases are on Oahu. I imagine there are US military resources. barracks and such on Oahu to spare, but what good are vacant barracks on the wrong island? There’s a coast guard station on Maui and that is it for US military bases.

Supplies, food, equipment no doubt could be transported to Maui with US military resources.
I'm still puzzled by military response there.
Per Wikipedia:
The USAF 515th Air Mobility Operations Wing is part of Air Mobility Command stationed at Joint Base Pearl Harbor–Hickam, Hawaii. The group has overseen humanitarian relief to earthquake victims in China and tsunami relief in American Samoa.

I've seen USAF Red Horse people can set up a "Bare Base" tent city in a couple days. I'd imagine the Navy SeaBees could do the same thing on Maui in a couple days.

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:12 pm

Hard to know what the military has offered, and what the State and County powers that be have said yes to.

We have a fully functioning commercial port, fully functioning international airport, and open roads going into Lahaina. There are less people on the island than there were a month ago. There is no food shortage, no fuel shortage.

There is reliable grid power right up to the edge of the town that burned. Not sure what American Samoa looked like post tsunami, but I imagine not like Maui does right now.

They aren’t expecting to find any more survivors at this point, so to me it looks like the people out there are moving into rebuilding. Insurance claims have been filed, FEMA money has been doled out, temporary luxury lodging is taken care of.

There’s already huge drama over what rebuilding look like. I expect that to continue for the next decade with lots of opportunism and finger pointing, but such is life.

Anyway, this is just what one dummy sees, take it for what it’s worth…

Kurt
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:49 pm

Living in S Fl. we have the strongest building code in the USA.Follow the three little pigs fable.They will have to incorporate new tech to keep that 100 year plus charm that attracted the industry.It is known that the sugar/pineapple plantations interfered with the natural fauna,almost like the Amazon slash and burn.Here are some things that anybody in those areas might consider.

https://www.kunc.org/environment/2022-1 ... afer-homes

Mark_Thompson
Reactions:

Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:49 pm

@Kurt Good article. Everything we’ve done in the past couple hundred years has certainly impacted the natural flora. At this level of development and invasive plant prevalence there’s no going back. Just lots of questions about what’s best going forward and who decides it.

Return to “General Discussion”