New mayo-based salad dressing

What's cooking?
Shule
Reactions:

New mayo-based salad dressing

Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:29 pm

So, yesterday, I mixed together a new salad dressing that I really enjoy. I still need to hash out the right proportions into measurements, but here are the ingredients:

• Mayonnaise
• Soy sauce
• Ginger powder
• Fenugreek powder (less fenugreek than ginger, but more than a sprinkle, for sure)
• A little key lime powder (the powder I used was homemade, and included the fruits, peels, and seeds)
• Sesame seeds (optional)

Stir it up, and put it on the salad. It's a good dressing to mix with baked potatoes and salad together. The salad I tried it on contained lettuce, celery, tomatoes, and avocados. I'm dipping celery in it, now.

Notes:
• The key lime powder reduces the saltiness, if you added too much soy sauce (but it'll still have the sodium in it, of course).
• I imagine lime or lemon juice might be a good substitute for key lime powder, but I'm not sure; you can forego the Citrus and still get a pretty interesting dressing, but it's definitely better with the key lime powder.
• The sesame seeds add more flavor after they've been soaking in the dressing for a while.
• The brand of fenugreek that you use might affect the flavor (probably not for better or worse, but just different). I've noticed they don't all smell the same, and I used two different kinds, with different results.
• I'm still trying to decide if it makes a difference when I add bacon bits and Parmesan cheese, but the taste is similar either way.
• I've tried soy sauce, fenugreek, and sesame seeds in salad dressings before (and they're all great salad dressing ingredients), but this is my first time adding ginger.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

Nan6b
Reactions:

Re: New mayo-based salad dressing

Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 am

For me, mayo by itself is a salad dressing.

Christinajomd
Reactions:

Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:24 am

I saw on Tik Tok that Wizzed up cottage cheese was used to make Ranch Dressing

worth1
Reactions:

Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:07 am

How did I miss this?
I love mayonnaise anything.
I actually thin out mayonnaise with lime juice to make a dressing sometimes.
Worth
25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.

You can't argue with a closed mind.
You might as well be arguing with a cat.

Christinajomd
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 2:51 pm

Sounds like I'm going to try this for lunch\dinner this weekend! Printed!!!

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 pm

When y'all figure out the proportions, please post them as this sounds interesting!

@Shule, I'm assuming you used fenugreek powder. I have seeds and can whiz them up into powder. I wonder if quickly toasting them in a skillet before powdering them would add anything. What do you think? No lime powder (where the heck do you buy that?) so I'd use lime juice.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 5:57 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 pm When y'all figure out the proportions, please post them as this sounds interesting!

@Shule, I'm assuming you used fenugreek powder. I have seeds and can whiz them up into powder. I wonder if quickly toasting them in a skillet before powdering them would add anything. What do you think? No lime powder (where the heck do you buy that?) so I'd use lime juice.
Those darnd seeds are as hard as a rock. :lol:
Worth

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 6:02 pm

worth1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:57 pm
GoDawgs wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:50 pm When y'all figure out the proportions, please post them as this sounds interesting!

Hmmm... they've been stashed in the freezer so maybe they'll be easier when thawed out. If the whizzie doesn't work completely, maybe it can do some of the job and my little mortar and pestle can finish it. No molcajete here.

worth1
Reactions:

Thu May 23, 2024 6:34 pm

GoDawgs wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 6:02 pm
worth1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:57 pm

Hmmm... they've been stashed in the freezer so maybe they'll be easier when thawed out. If the whizzie doesn't work completely, maybe it can do some of the job and my little mortar and pestle can finish it. No molcajete here.
I had to use a whirlybird coffee grinder.
The molcajete was practically worthless unless you're into really hard work.
Worth

Shule
Reactions:

Fri May 24, 2024 8:00 am

Yeah, I used fenugreek powder. I've never encountered the seeds. I can't say about toasting them. It's been a while since I tried the dressing. I've been eating less mayonnaise lately.

I didn't buy the lime powder. We got a bag a key limes from the grocery store; then I dehydrated them and blended them up into powder.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

worth1
Reactions:

Fri May 24, 2024 8:10 am

The seeds are like trying to bust up flint.
I'm serious.
I was afraid I was going to break my molcajete and wasn't getting anywhere so I went to the old coffee grinder.
Worth

Return to “Recipes”