Hummingbird advice needed

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
Texgal
Reactions: 51

Hummingbird advice needed

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello friends,
I saw a couple of humming birds zooming around a neighboring plot at my community garden so i put up a small humming bird feeder. It is hanging from about a 6-foot pole over one of my raised beds. It has been almost a week and the level of the nectar has hardly moved. I think they are not finding it. I would appreciate any advice. Wondering if it is too much out in the open.
Thanks!
~ Emmie ~

EdieJ
Reactions: 231

Re: Hummingbird advice needed

Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:57 pm

Hummers do like quick cover. We have ours hanging where they can sit in a tree and check for predators and can easily dart back if they feel threatened.
North Central AL (mountains)
Zone 7

MissS
Reactions: 1050

Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:57 pm

Not all hummingbirds know how to use a feeder. This is a learned behavior and they learn either from trial and error or watching another bird use it first. Here are some things to know to ensure success.

Keep your sugar solution fresh by changing it out every 3 days. This is very important because it does spoil and also get moldy. If it is spoiled, it will be quite awhile before the birds try using your feeder again. If you let this happen, move the feeder to a new location.

Use a sugar water solution of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Cane sugar is supposed to be better for the birds than beet sugar. There is no reason to fill your feeder all the way up. This just wastes your sugar. I use 1/4 sugar to 1 cup of water for each feeder. These birds are small and even though I see them using the feeders, I can hardly notice the level of nectar dropping. They just can not consume a huge amount of this solution.

Having the feeder out in the open in Texas is not such a great position due to the fact that it would get far too hot from the sun. If possible, I would move it to where it gets a little shade so it stays cooler.

Patience is my last word of advise. I bet that these birds have checked out your feeder and perhaps even used it. Hang it in a sheltered area and be diligent about keeping it clean. You won't notice the nectar going down but you will eventually see the birds using it.

Enjoy!
Grow Something!
~ Patti ~

Texgal
Reactions: 51

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:36 am

Thanks @EdieJ & @MissS, The feeder is about 8 feet from a large rose bush but still out in the open and I was thinking most everyone hangs them from an eave of the house so I'll try it under the cover of a structure nearby. It has indeed gotten hot here and I had not considered that the nectar had spoiled. I will change it tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!
~ Emmie ~

Return to “General Discussion”