SPIDER MITES!!!!!

jbclem
Reactions:

Re: SPIDER MITES!!!!!

Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:32 am

Below are links to two inexpensive LED magnifiers that I've used for years to keep track of spider mite infestations. You're flying blind when you can't see the spider mites and their eggs. You can spot an infestation beginning long before the leaves get stippled, and that's the time to be spraying. It's easy to kill spider mites (I use Safer's Soap), but you always miss some and of course the eggs will be hatching the next day. So it's good to be able to look and spot the young-uns starting to move around, and see how many adults are still alive. And you can also check out the stems where the spider mites will also live during an infestation, and where you often don't think to spray.

The first magnifier is better quality, but they both work really well. Ignore the claims of 60x magnification, they are actually between 10x and 20x which is just the right amount to be able to see the spider mites and their eggs.

The real solution to this problem is to find something that will kill the eggs. Maybe horticulture oil, or some fine oil spray. I haven't tested with those yet.

I'm not sure the Amazon links are showing up in this message. If they don't, just look up these two:
Carson MicroMini 20x LED Lighted Pocket Microscope with Built-In UV and LED Flashlight
KINGMAS Mini 60x Microscope Magnifying with LED Light

MissS
Reactions:

Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:18 am

@jbclem I see both of these links and they look like a great way to keep track of what's going on with your foliage issues.
~ Patti ~

jbclem
Reactions:

Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:30 pm

I just turned off my adblocker and there they were...and with photos even. Thanks for mentioning the links. These magnifiers are night and day when you're dealing with spider mites, and also thrips.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”