Seedlings keep mysteriously dying off.

CrazyAboutOrchids
Reactions:

Re: Seedlings keep mysteriously dying off.

Sat May 20, 2023 6:48 am

I have tried both Jiffy and the Black Gold seedling mixes in the past and I had trouble with both. Maybe your issues were multiple....

With the LED lights some have mentioned burning and problems - there is a thread here warning LEDs!!!. My take on it was you need to be careful of the light output, the components of the lights involved and the proximity to seedlings. I had no issues with my LED lights. It was my first year using them after using T-8s for years. I used Spider Farmer SF600s which include red, IR, warm white and blue LEDs. I had great success although I did learn proximity is way different than my T-8's. For seedlings, down close is okay, but once those true leaves come up, those lights need to be up high. My peppers and eggplant don't seem to mind being closer. I found this year, my plants were far easier to harden off - like the light didn't bother them at all, wind did a bit so next year I will do as recommended above and put a fan on them for the week before.

I would thoroughly clean your seed starting pots before using again. I would try a different seeding mix next year. I am a fan of Happy Frog. I've altered a few times because of things I read and always had issues. There are many options available so you need to see what is available and close from those options. I would try to get some warmth to your seedlings as well. I grow in cool conditions in my basement under lights, but my temps run low to mid 60's.

Glad you are seeing improvements!
- Sandy zone 6A

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”