Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Free for all about gardening techniques, tips and questions.
karstopography
Reactions:

Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm

I love Shishito Peppers, but never have I successfully grown them due to various self inflicted or other misfortunes in the seedling stage. Maybe this will be the year to a breakthrough into actual production.

Baby Corn, baby corn is something I love either stir fried or pickled, but never have grown. I ordered the variety Chires Baby Corn seeds recently. Can’t wait to plant the seeds, but will have to wait until March at the earliest to get in the ground.

Big Beef, somehow I’ve missed growing this hybrid everyone else seems to have already been well acquainted with, but with the mostly positive reviews here on TJ I will be putting this variety in the garden in 2021. I want a reliable, disease and nematode resistant productive and tasty red tomato in my garden in 2021 and this could be the one.

There are others, pretty much all of them, I’m hopeful and excited about, but these above might head the list of most anticipated debuts/additions for 2021. What say you, are there any particular vegetables or tomatoes that you really, really want to be a success in the coming year?
Zone 9b, located in the Columbia bottomlands, annual rainfall 46”

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Re: Particular Vegetables or Tomatoes You Are Extra Excited to Grow in 2021

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:32 pm

Well, i have some crosses I want to grow out in the F1.

I've grown baby corn - it was easy in the uk, plant seed , it grew, i race around picking before tassles turn brown.

Peppers are a problem for me with the uk weather but i got a master plan this year.

Tomatoes, this year is dedicated to tomatoes, hoping for lots of varieties (mmm and tribute) and looking to grow out enough to give away as part of a tribute. I can bring them on but i had 120 plants in previous years and we were swamped, but happy to get to transplant stage and gift.

brassicas, only if i create a netting over the bed - cabbage white butterflies are prolific and hungry.

kale, kicking myself on the dragon kale - love the stuff - must get some growing this year.

Aubergine, had a lean year - no, i say no fruits this year - it was disasterous and yet previous year couldn't keep up with them - ended up giving them to the amazon man - really ?

But most of all its tomatoes, did i mention before, looking forward to try a number of experiments both on root growth, crosses, fertiliser and companion planting, oh and a few container ones too - but dependant on the weather very much. too hot and it will kill them, summer like we jsut had and i think they would be okay.

but most of all, and i do mean this most sincerely. I am so looking forward to sharing this and seeing everyone elses experiences and knowledge and advice and day-to-day living on this forum. In such a turbulent and strange year, this forum has been a complete leveller for me! So thank you all.

loving the pictures, the personal views on life, the trials and tribulations - just loving it.
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

GoDawgs
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:38 pm

I'm trying two new corns this spring in addition to the usual Silver Queen. Replacing the Japanese Hull-less popcorn will be Early Pink. Then I'm replacing the Spring Treat (an early sweet corn) with Seneca Sunrise (OP), a relatively new mid season sweet corn developed by the co-owner of Seed Treasures. Eat it sweet or let it dry down for grinding. We'll be eating it sweet and saving some seed for next year if it's good. It tested out at 11.33% protein and 33.32% sugar! Both of these are from Seed Treasures.

The first time Zuchetta Rampicante squash last year was a success and ignored by the SVB's. I'll be adding Tahitian Melon squash (also a moschata type) and see if the SVB's leave it alone too. That one's on order from Pinetree. And I can't wait to see how big those squash really get! Meanwhile I'll attempt growing the Zuchetta on a big trellis.

I'll also be anxious to see how the Lorz Italian Softneck garlic does. It's new to me this year and the first softneck I've grown, a departure from the usual turban artichoke types growing out there too.

The Choppee okra did really well and will be done again but I'm also trying another one called Heavy Hitter, a variety I got in a seed swap.

Finally, there are the tomato seeds that were received from Farmer Shawn last year that had to wait for garden space this coming spring. Those are mostly some German and eastern European types that include a few heart varieties. I've never tried those before.

Lots of new stuff to play with. Oh boy!

habitat-gardener
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:03 pm

So many!!!! I’m determined to find beans that will grow here — though it may be more a matter of timing, inoculants, and learning to love long beans and cowpeas and Lima beans! So I’m trying all of these. Probably a dozen varieties. Bush snaps produced in early fall; I want pole beans!

I also want to find an okra I really like. This year I started up to a dozen varieties but they all got scrambled by plantout. I also wonder if nematodes were an issue. Anyway, the red varieties were pretty but I liked the short squat ones better, probably Star of David. I’ve added Hill Country and Beck’s Big. I may try a nematocidal marigold in the okra bed and just let it take over if the okra fades out again by summers end.

I didn’t get around to planting many greens this year, and the weather is mild enough that I can still plant mache, kale, and collards. But I have a few heat-resistant lettuces for spring (Sweet Valentine) as well as Jewels of Opar, which I grew once without knowing the leaves were edible and could grow in the heat of summer!! It’s collards week! (A bunch of presentations online — look for them via SESE) I’m planning to try some interesting collards— Alabama blue and a purple heirloom.
Also cranberry hibiscus— hoping the leaves will make a great tea (or tea ingredient) so I can stop buying packaged teas.

Oh, and peppers! I dried and ground a bunch of peppers this year, sweet and mild varieties, and looking forward to doing more.

And artichokes! I haven’t planted any before because for most of the past 20 years, there have been existing plants at my house or garden. I was determined to avoid spiny ones, but once I started reading about the purple varieties, I wanted those! So I have seed for Violette de Provence and Violetto, and Purple Romagna plants. It’ll be interesting to see if these are all different!!

This year I grew 15 eggplant varieties (32 plants) and 50 tomato (64 plants). The plan is to scale back on both, but I do have new varieties of each to try!! Kano, Apple Green, Prosperosa, Louisiana Green Oblong, Ping Tung. Jersey Breeze, Pocket Star Cherry, Mountain Rouge F1.

And squashes! This year I grew saved seeds and got lots of interesting shapes. Next year, North Georgia Candy Roaster, Stella Blue, Burgess Buttercup.

The community garden is less than 1000sf. I have some yard space (but much of it is allocated for natives and fruit trees). Still planning where everything will go!
Last edited by habitat-gardener on Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tormato
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:16 pm

;)
Amateurinawe wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:32 pm Well, i have some crosses I want to grow out in the F1.

I've grown baby corn - it was easy in the uk, plant seed , it grew, i race around picking before tassles turn brown.

Peppers are a problem for me with the uk weather but i got a master plan this year.

Tomatoes, this year is dedicated to tomatoes, hoping for lots of varieties (mmm and tribute) and looking to grow out enough to give away as part of a tribute. I can bring them on but i had 120 plants in previous years and we were swamped, but happy to get to transplant stage and gift.

brassicas, only if i create a netting over the bed - cabbage white butterflies are prolific and hungry.

kale, kicking myself on the dragon kale - love the stuff - must get some growing this year.

Aubergine, had a lean year - no, i say no fruits this year - it was disasterous and yet previous year couldn't keep up with them - ended up giving them to the amazon man - really ?

But most of all its tomatoes, did i mention before, looking forward to try a number of experiments both on root growth, crosses, fertiliser and companion planting, oh and a few container ones too - but dependant on the weather very much. too hot and it will kill them, summer like we jsut had and i think they would be okay.

but most of all, and i do mean this most sincerely. I am so looking forward to sharing this and seeing everyone elses experiences and knowledge and advice and day-to-day living on this forum. In such a turbulent and strange year, this forum has been a complete leveller for me! So thank you all.

loving the pictures, the personal views on life, the trials and tribulations - just loving it.
Your memory is short. You're most looking forward to "Dolly". ;)

lee53011
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Paul Robeson tomato is probably number one new vegetable. After that, Oxhearts, and 10 or so other varieties of tomatoes I have never grown. I will be cutting way back on melons this year, 10 ripe melons a week are just too much! Tried red noodle beans last year, and they were not appreciated by anyone, so the archway will be cleared for mostly tomatoes and a couple cucumber plants. Hopefully my cherries and peach trees will fruit for the first time this year. Many more potatoes and less lettuce and greens. Doesn't pay to grow what we end up giving away, if I can grow something we can use. Hopefully going to be a big tomato and potato year!

Amateurinawe
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:57 pm

[mention]Tormato[/mention] I've been found out, I admit it :-)
The behaviour of light means you observe me as i was then, and not as I am now.
I cannot change history, so I do hope i gave you a good impression of myself

Donnyboy
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:27 pm

I'm always excited to grow my "Mammoth" jalapeno peppers (twenty plants) just to see how large the peppers get.

I'm also excited to grow SV7846TH Hybrid tomatoes again due to the productivity and disease resistance and taste they exhibited last year. Production starts a little later, but really takes off. I pulled some green tomatoes before our first frost this year and they are ripening in my shop. I hope to eat some on Christmas day before I start germinating seed in January for next years garden.

Heatmaster and Big Beef carry me and my tomato loving friends through the high heat of summer with Heatmaster continuing to produce into late fall.

I got some Choppee okra seeds from RejunCajun a few years ago along with some giant cowhorn seed. I loved the Choppee okra because it remained more tender on the plant than the cowhorn and it was very productive without taking my garden over as the cowhorn okra did. The cowhorn plants became so huge, I thought about cutting the stalks into firewood after the first frost.

I had considered not growing a garden in 2021 due to my age and spending some time recovering from covid. It was really difficult regaining my energy and my ability to stand for more than a few minutes. My wife and I are now fully recovered and the gardening excitement is returning.

rossomendblot
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:44 pm

Looking forward to all the varieties I've not tried before...

Tomatoes - EM Champion, Koralik, Cherry Falls, Matt's Hornet, Ambrosia Orange, Big Cheef, Malachite Box, Daniel Burson, Orange Jazz, Northern Lights, Mat-Su Express

Sweet Peppers - Oda, Gypsy, Red Belgian, Jimmy Nardello, Lipstick

Chillies - Damian, Hot Juanita, Super Tramp, NuMex Pumpkin Spice

Also excited for the first fruit from the Scrumptious apple tree and Titania blackcurrant.

lee53011
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:55 pm

@rossomendblot I know how you feel. Fruit trees take forever to start fruiting. I had one plum fruit so far, and a gooseberry. Still waiting on 2 apple, 2 cherries, a peach, a jostaberry, and a red and black current. Maybe this year!
Last edited by lee53011 on Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrBig46
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I'm looking forward to testing tomato Lorelei from Fusion Power on the leaf disease resistance. In addition, I will test resistance OP varieties Mountaineer Pride and Mountaineer Delight to tolerant to late blight .
Vladimír

goodloe
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:02 pm

"but most of all, and i do mean this most sincerely. I am so looking forward to sharing this and seeing everyone elses experiences and knowledge and advice and day-to-day living on this forum. In such a turbulent and strange year, this forum has been a complete leveller for me! So thank you all."

Excellent sentiments, [mention]Amateurinawe[/mention] ! Tomato Junction is such a warm, inviting and informative community! Again, Happy Birthday to US!

btw, I am extremely interested in your pepper growing "master plan"... :geek:
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

root_grow
Reactions:

Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:05 pm

I’m antsy just to see any of their adorable little green faces under the lights again!

Tomato-wise I’m most looking forward to any on my wish list that might come my way ;) reuniting with Jaune Flamme (whyyyy didn’t I plant any in 2020??), more Gobstoppers and Black from Tulas, and figuring out who fills the remaining 90-some spots. Plus the shorter determinates and dwarfs on the side. I’m equal parts hopeful and nervous about some pruning experiments too... haven't done much pruning before, but I think it may help.

I’m looking forward to trying Tronchuda and Thousandhead kale, I hope they become monsters :D Giant kohlrabis will be planted earlier, hopefully they’ll actually get giant with more time.

More herbs next year, I’m excited about all that flavor and hopefully some tea for winter too.

The few Lofthouse landrace butternuts I squeezed in late this year really impressed, so they will get most of next year’s winter squash space. Other butternuts have been either too late or lacking flavor, so this is exciting.

My giant bean trellises got repurposed for deer fencing when I moved this spring and was in a rush to get something up, so I’ll be happy to see them back in their proper use for my beloved dry beans.

And I’m looking forward to the onions and leeks. They go in just about everything, they deserve more love than they’ve been getting. This year the leeks protested and I really miss them. Next year, way more onions and leeks, and more doting on them.

[mention]Amateurinawe[/mention] Please do share the master plan for the peppers! Those of us in cool climates could use the inspiration!

Tormato
Reactions:

Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:10 pm

habitat-gardener wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:03 pm So many!!!! I’m determined to find beans that will grow here — though it may be more a matter of timing, inoculants, and learning to love long beans and cowpeas and Lima beans! So I’m trying all of these. Probably a dozen varieties. Bush snaps produced in early fall; I want pole beans!

I also want to find an okra I really like. This year I started up to a dozen varieties but they all got scrambled by plantout. I also wonder if nematodes were an issue. Anyway, the red varieties were pretty but I liked the short squat ones better, probably Star of David. I’ve added Hill Country and Beck’s Big. I may try a nematocidal marigold in the okra bed and just let it take over if the okra fades out again by summers end.

I didn’t get around to planting many greens this year, and the weather is mild enough that I can still plant mache, kale, and collards. But I have a few heat-resistant lettuces for spring (Sweet Valentine) as well as Jewels of Opar, which I grew once without knowing the leaves were edible and could grow in the heat of summer!! It’s collards week! (A bunch of presentations online — look for them via SESE) I’m planning to try some interesting collards— Alabama blue and a purple heirloom.
Also cranberry hibiscus— hoping the leaves will make a great tea (or tea ingredient) so I can stop buying packaged teas.

Oh, and peppers! I dried and ground a bunch of peppers this year, sweet and mild varieties, and looking forward to doing more.

And artichokes! I haven’t planted any before because for most of the past 20 years, there have been existing plants at my house or garden. I was determined to avoid spiny ones, but once I started reading about the purple varieties, I wanted those! So I have seed for Violette de Provence and Violetto, and Purple Romagna plants. It’ll be interesting to see if these are all different!!

This year I grew 15 eggplant varieties (32 plants) and 50 tomato (64 plants). The plan is to scale back on both, but I do have new varieties of each to try!! Kano, Apple Green, Prosperosa, Louisiana Green Oblong, Ping Tung. Jersey Breeze, Pocket Star Cherry, Mountain Rouge F1.

And squashes! This year I grew saved seeds and got lots of interesting shapes. Next year, North Georgia Candy Roaster, Stella Blue, Burgess Buttercup.

The community garden is less than 1000sf. I have some yard space (but much of it is allocated for natives and fruit trees). Still planning where everything will go!
I have an okra for you. But it will remain a Mystery until it arrives, there. It's so unique, I now have to reach the donor for an explanation of what was sent.

Shule
Reactions:

Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:29 am

I'm excited to grow lots of sweet peppers (various kinds, including Horizon Bell, Orange Sun, Hungarian Sweet Wax, Golden California Wonder, Sheepnose, Doe Hill, Etiuda, Coral Bell, Canary Bell, Lipstick, Lesya, and plenty of others).

I'm excited to grow wonderberries, again.

I'm excited for the F2 tomatoes in the sun series that I plan to grow. Also, Cherokee Chocolate, Carbon, Black Cherry, and many other tomatoes.

I'm excited to grow greens.
Climate: BSk
USDA hardiness zone: 6
Elevation: 2,260 feet

JenniferBella
Reactions:

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 pm

There are so many possibilities this year as I went variety nuts with COVID. I have dropped seeds already for a bunch of micros and peppers. Even a bean is about to flower in my basement as I was testing germ - it is in a tiny little cup - the will to live is strong!

I am most excited for variegated tomatoes and hope to have a whole section for them if they grow well. I am still seeking out Shimofuri and Sweet Electra but I have a few of them like Moonlight Mile and Dean Haley's Rainbow (on its way!).

Then there are the insanely beautiful Marsha Starfighter Prime, Pink Siberian Tiger, and too many more to name. Ok, just a few, Golden King of Siberia, Pruden's Purple, Wherokowai, Pit Viper, Peppermint Stripes, Russian Swirl, Pairfait, Lemon Ice, Blue Suede Shoes, Blue Fruit, Kas21, Painted Pink, Thunder Mountain, Kryptonite, Maglia Rose, Wolverine, Gun Metal Gray, Variegated Dragon, Xanadu, Yellow Dragon, Sart Roloise, Stripes of Yore, Karen Oliver's everything; I do not know what I will do. I already plan on taking over my parents' garden :).

I need land to plant!

Hope everyone posts their beauties as they grow. Excited to see what you all find delicious and vigorous.

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:53 pm

Guess who has both of the variegated tomatoes you want....https://heritageseedmarket.com/index.ph ... d-foliage/
Last edited by wykvlvr on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

AZGardener
Reactions:

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:54 pm

I'm most looking forward to growing some new to me dwarf tomatoes, peppers, cow peas, and okra, plus a couple of eggplant varieties. :-)
USDA Zone 9b, Sunset Zone 13
Average Rainfall 9.5 inches
Climate: Sonoran Desert

wykvlvr
Reactions:

Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:01 pm

I am excited about my micro dwarf tomatoes, and some of the peas and beans I am getting in the swap...
Wyoming
Zone 5
Elevation : 6,063 ft
Climate : semi-arid
Avg annual rainfall = 16 inches

goodloe
Reactions:

Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:26 am

I love your attitude, [mention]JenniferBella[/mention] !! I'll be growing Rebel Starfighter Prime in 2021, also Marsha's variant, which is named "Marsha's Starfighter Beefsteak", I believe...Merry Christmas!!
I have 2 seasons: Tomato and pepper season, and BAMA Football season!

Return to “General Discussion”