Mystery cross

Everything About Tomatoes
svalli
Reactions:

Mystery cross

Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:08 am

Last year I grew Weisser Pfirsich, which I got seeds in a trade from a Finnish gardener. One of the plants grew different color tomatoes, which were late ripening outdoors, but the taste was so good that I saved the seeds.
PSX_20220819_131429.jpg

This year I have three plants growing from the seeds, which I saved. None of the plants has similar fruits as the original. One is cream colored and flattened, one ripped and pink and one looks like the Werisser Pfirsich with the satiny fuzz on the skin. These pictures were taken in August when first ones ripened.
PSX_20220819_130641.jpg

Last night, when I went to the greenhouse to check the tomatoes, I noticed that the cream colored ones and also the one with fuzz have some purple color on them. That original tomato had also some purple on the sunny side of the skin, so these must be an accidental cross between Weisser Pfirsich and some variety with anthocyanin gene.
Mystery cross.jpg

Taste of these F2 generation tomatoes is not so great and I am not sure if it is worth the effort to keep growing the F3 generation. I have saved the seeds of that cream colored and may try those next season.

Sari
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I only want to live in peace, plant potatoes and dream."
- Moomin-troll by Tove Jansson

MissS
Reactions:

Re: Mystery cross

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:32 am

I too have found that most of my F1's are very good but successive generations do not stand up to the F1's and I give up on them.
~ Patti ~

ddsack
Reactions:

Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:08 pm

Me three! I had an accidental cross between Brandywine Yellow and some red neighbor that produced the most wonderfully delicious, huge red, early tomatoes in the F1 last year. So saved seeds from that, but the F2 this year was small to medium sized, not early, and just average taste. End of the line, I'm afraid.

bower
Reactions:

Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:36 pm

That cream with antho fruit is really beautiful. :)
If the fruit are pretty and the plant has some good traits, there's nothing to stop you from crossing it with something tastier.
I can't speak from experience with the anthos, though, because I've never grown them. Too many people said they lacked good flavor, and maybe that is a persistent problem. (Not that it can't be overcome, but for that you would need quite a bit of room, time and patience.)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

pepperhead212
Reactions:

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:16 pm

I grew an F2 Brandyboy this season, and which did very well, at first, which the person that gave it to me had happen, but she said the F3 did not do very well at all. However, I don't normally save hybrid seeds, due to the bad experiences others have had with many, and the worst I saw was a friend that had a volunteer that he let grow years ago (that had to be a hybrid, since he bought his tomato plants), and it got huge, and covered with flowers, and didn't set one fruit! That turned me off to saving hybrid seeds, if that could happen!
Woodbury, NJ zone 7a/7b

NarnianGarden
Reactions:

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:26 pm

Wow. How pretty (all of them)..

The small-is area colored is like a turnip.. :)

White crossed with antho is often a very beautiful combination. I have grown one called Great White Blues, it was amazing and the flavour was well worth the effort, too.

Return to “Tomato Talk”