Acer Rubrum's Grow Log 2023

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Acer Rubrum's Grow Log 2023

Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:00 pm

So I've already got a few things started, mostly ones I plan to put in containers or special projects. I'm not going to use this log much for the bedding plants I plan to sell.

Today I transplanted some of my container peppers.

5 Circus Sweet - this is a developing variety I got from Fruition Seeds. I planted 12 seeds and got five plants, one of which is already showing variegation. https://www.fruitionseeds.com/shop/vege ... ng-pepper/

2 Gypsy Queen - these are an open pollinated version of Gypsy. I planted some Gypsy, too, but they germinated and grew much faster so they got transplanted last Sunday when we went up to the greenhouses my husband works at. They let him grow some of our early stuff there as a perk. In April we'll open our greenhouses and bring our plants down to them. Until then the Gypsy peppers will stay there. I plan to compare the F1 with the open pollinated version.

3 Aji Dulce - these were selected to be earlier and more adapted to northern climates than other strains. Also from Fruition. They've done well so far and I think they're very pretty plants.

1 Mattapeno - this is a variegated jalapeno. I planted three seeds and got one plant. I planted the rest of the seeds last Sunday up at the greenhouse, so we'll see how they do. This one is already interesting looking.

IMG_20230217_170242978.jpg
IMG_20230217_172726777.jpg
IMG_20230217_172806049.jpg

I also started some Cute Stuff Red F1 using seed I had left from before they discontinued the variety. Hopefully I'll be able to dehybridize them, but we'll see. I have two here, one of which I've just topped. They look a little sad because I haven't fertilized them lately (until today). I've been going to do it for a week, but life gets hectic sometimes.

IMG_20230217_173640121.jpg

My Chocolate Sprinkles OP moved up to pots of their own. They're destined for baskets this summer. We'll see how they do that way.

IMG_20230217_174538209.jpg

Some of my other basket varieties are Sirja's Love Red, Rambling Gold Stripe and Pendulina Orange, all planted as soon as the swap package got here.

IMG_20230217_175153883.jpg

At the greenhouse I have Shimofuri, Garden Pearl, Spanish Dancer, Ladyfingers, Maglia Rosa, Sungold Select Compact and Cosmic Jewell growing on for baskets. Some of them I've done in baskets before and others I haven't.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PlainJane
Reactions:

Re: Acer Rubrum's Grow Log 2023

Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:40 pm

Interesting, I’ve not seen a variegated Jalapeno.
“Never try to outstubborn a cat.”
- Robert A. Heinlein

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:40 pm

These are the seeds I sowed today.

11 Fresh Bites Orange F1 - these are a compact container snacking pepper. My youngest has been asking for something like this, so we're going to try these. Though the Circus Sweet and a variety for the field that we're growing this year also qualify as snacking peppers.

3 Milky Way - a bell from Latvia. https://www.tomatoeden.net/product-page ... 1%82%D1%8C

12 Sundar - another sweet pepper from Latvia. I grew this last year and it has very thick walls. This is saved seed from unbagged blossoms, so we'll see how it comes out.

2 Candy land - a sweet bell.

6 Golden Pheasant - an orange bell with a distinct tip. These came from Cultive ta Rue. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do.

6 Margaret's Pepper - these came from someone on this site who highly recommended them. I'm looking forward to these as well.

And finally, I dampened a paper towel and put in a dozen seeds from a green bell that didn't ripen in time last year. I'm curious to see if any will sprout.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:46 pm

Also, I've got some kale growing. Because whose house is really complete without a couple of gallon kale plants loitering about?

IMG_20230217_185441687.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:48 pm

PlainJane wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:40 pm Interesting, I’ve not seen a variegated Jalapeno.
Yeah, I thought they sounded really interesting. Apparently the guy who originally sold the seeds found a variegated jalapeno at the nursery where he works and bought it. It bred true and these are the results. I'm hoping to save seed for next year.

bower
Reactions:

Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:41 pm

Loitering gallon kale LOL. In polite company we call it 'cohabiting with vegetables'. I have kale and Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Napa cabbage and.... actually these ruffians got so large I had to put them out in the greenhouse. With the too many romaine lettuces. They are chillin but hanging in there in the cold until it's time to grow more or be turfed further. Happy february! :)
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Acer Rubrum
Reactions:

Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:04 pm

Bower wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:41 pm Loitering gallon kale LOL. In polite company we call it 'cohabiting with vegetables'. I have kale and Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Napa cabbage and.... actually these ruffians got so large I had to put them out in the greenhouse. With the too many romaine lettuces. They are chillin but hanging in there in the cold until it's time to grow more or be turfed further. Happy february! :)
Ooh, Purple Sprouting Broccoli sounds good. I might have to look into that.

I'll be sure to observe the proprieties with respect to my kale plants. Vegetative cohabitants, I mean. 😀

Return to “Grow Logs(Glogs) And Video Logs(Vlogs)”