Cutworms

Traveler
Reactions:

Cutworms

Fri May 10, 2024 3:31 pm

A search here produced little information on how to prevent plant loss due to cutworms. I planted out 17 plants last evening in 17 grow bags and this morning found one plant cut down. I did find a cutworm just below the new soil level and the cut about one inch or less above the soil level prior to plant out. I plant the stems fairly deep and my guess is the cut was probably a few inches below the new soil level.

I plan to take some protective measure on the remaining 16 plants before nightfall. My first question is; do I need to protect the stem area from the top of the roots to an inch or two above the soil? Secondly, what is an effective protective measure? I've read articles and watched YouTube videos with suggestions ranging from placing two toothpicks on the sides of the stem to placing plastic or paper cup around the stem with later removal few weeks later.

Vanman
Reactions:

Re: Cutworms

Fri May 10, 2024 9:58 pm

I use a wood skewer placed next to each stem. I also tie them to the skewer for support.

Seven Bends
Reactions:

Fri May 10, 2024 11:15 pm

We usually put a loose collar of sorts around the stem of transplants to protect them from cutworms. Cut off the bottom third or so of a pint cottage cheese container or similar and discard, keeping the ring formed by the upper two-thirds of the container. The ring/collar only needs to be about 2.5" tall. You can also use a quart milk container (plastic or cardboard) to create similar collars. I guess yogurt containers would work, though they're a little bit small in diameter.

Sink the bottom of the collar about 1.5" into the soil and leave about an inch above the soil. If you don't sink it too deep, it won't interfere with the roots and there's no need to remove it later. Cutworms generally do their damage in the top inch of soil or at the surface.

We typically only use these for cabbage & broccoli transplants; haven't had a problem with cutworms bothering anything else.

bower
Reactions:

Sat May 11, 2024 7:24 am

My Dad would do as Vanman said. A slender stick right close to the stem, stops them from biting it off.
AgCan Zone 5a/USDA zone 4
temperate marine climate
yearly precip 61 inches/1550 mm

Traveler
Reactions:

Fri May 17, 2024 10:41 am

Thanks to all! I spent about $1 for shish kabob skewers and have not had further issues. No other cutworms have been seen among my plant outs. However, I did identify the the source of the cutworms, a bin of horse compost which I have quarantined and will use elsewhere when the worms have grown up and taken flight.

JRinPA
Reactions:

Fri May 17, 2024 9:12 pm

So a stick or two next the stem...basically it becomes standing room only and the cutworm can't stretch out and eat?

I would like to see camera footage of a cutworm trying and being repeatedly derailed... :lol:

Kurt
Reactions:

Sat May 18, 2024 7:45 am

They usually go back into the ground at daylight,until they get large enough to camaflauge in the undersides of leaves.Follw that black nasty scat.To find one soak the ground with copious amounts of hose water, they usually come out.We do a serious ground drench around base of plants,including trees with Omri pesticide approved.Sevin dust hosed in works well.We get the green cattapilers,they turn into a buetiful moth.

Return to “Diseases, Pests & Cures”